Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, I'm calling it. Game over man! Did everything within my capabilities to figure this out with no results so I'm done. An upgrade was in the works anyway.

So, I'm putting her up for sale as-is. She's in great shape outside of this misfire issue. Hopefully someone with more skill than me will give her a good home and enjoy getting her fixed up.

I'll probably list here first and eventually on one of the popular online classifieds. If anyone is interested and/or would like to see photos, please let me know.

Thank you all very much for you suggestions and guidance. It is truly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
It's unfortunate you were unable to track down the misfire culprit(s), however, is replacing the engine in the G8 not a viable option? If so, what vehicles(s) are you currently considering? Any thoughts regarding the price range you're looking to get for the G8?

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
WHAT A BUMMER Most problems of this type are fixed with minimal T/S. But when you need a car that works, an this one won't cooperate, I guess you have no choice. An I was learning so much of *what* could be the cause, only to find out (in this case) that none of it helped a bit. To bad you're not in a position to hang onto it, an continue the T/S for the fix. Hope you're able to avoid that sellers remorse syndrome. I know I will have that problem, whenever my time arrives to let the car go.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
It's unfortunate you were unable to track down the misfire culprit(s), however, is replacing the engine in the G8 not a viable option? If so, what vehicles(s) are you currently considering? Any thoughts regarding the price range you're looking to get for the G8?
Nah, I'm not attached enough to spend that much on it. I've gotten burned by too many money-pit cars to take that risk. Besides, as much as I like the way it looks, it's so limited on features that it's always left me feeling like I'm missing out on all the cool and very common stuff that more modern cars have.

So, that's why my choice on the replacement was very easy. I just closed on an awesome deal for a 2016 SS. Garage kept by a retired car collector, only 12k miles on it and my favorite color. Metallic red. More power, way more features and many major design improvements. All on a platform that I'm already very familiar with. I shouldn't have to worry about repairs for a long time but when that time comes, I won't be starting from scratch getting to know my way around.

As for asking price, I've been doing a lot of price comps on various classifieds. There are plenty of G8 GT's out there but not many in my color. Most are the neutral colors and most have well over 120k miles going for $12-17k. Mine is at a little over 110k. Some of those G8's are in far worse shape than mine listed at $14k+.

Despite the ignition issue, the added upgrades, rare color and good cosmetic condition would make a $10k as-is price tag reasonable imo. I don't know what the worst case scenario would be to fix it, but even if you had to spend a few $k, any buyer would still get a heck of a deal. Especially if they're good with cars and fix it themselves.

I'm still researching but thinking around $10-12k and see where it goes.

WHAT A BUMMER Most problems of this type are fixed with minimal T/S. But when you need a car that works, an this one won't cooperate, I guess you have no choice. An I was learning so much of *what* could be the cause, only to find out (in this case) that none of it helped a bit. To bad you're not in a position to hang onto it, an continue the T/S for the fix. Hope you're able to avoid that sellers remorse syndrome. I know I will have that problem, whenever my time arrives to let the car go.
I'm a very practical person. My attachment to things is more based on how useful they are or how well they perform. If it can be fixed, great, but if fixing it consumes vastly more time and energy than it would take to replace it, I can break that attachment very easily. This machine gun of disappointing failures trying to find this problem has caused me far more remorse than I will feel by letting her go. I haven't completely ruled out one last hail Mary attempt to get to the bottom of it but it's not likely.

I know that there will always be that little sense of envy when I see another G8 on the road, but I had that before. I'd see others that are customized and beautifully decorated and I'd say to myself "man that's sweet. I wish I could do that to mine." Then I'd drive my wife's 2016 Civic, looking at all of it's very common tech that the my G8 DOESN'T HAVE... that cosmetic value vaporizes pretty quick.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
As some of you may already know, I listed here and several members have replied with strong argument to get it fixed. This could potentially cost big $ to do and I don't have that kind of coin right now.

So, I'm wondering, how intensive is tearing down to the lifters or cam? I'm thinking that I might be able to get one of my mechanic buddies to help me do it myself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Are you on the capital city G8 club page? If not, I would post this on there and see if you could get some advice or someone might even offer to lend a hand. I could possibly lend a hand to wrench too. Depending on what part of Bmore you're in, you might not be that far from me. I have a couple odd ball tools for the swap that would help

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
What a potential and rather interesting turn of events we have here folks... :wall:. As previously stated, there might be a local G8 owner willing and able to lend a hand. At the very least, they may have a personal experience with a nearby reputable shop(s). If necessary, perchance the undertaking could be tabled for a future day if you ultimately decided to keep the G8. Good luck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sorry folks. Tapatalk was acting up so I had to drop G8board from my list. Just got it back so I'm catching up.

Are you on the capital city G8 club page? If not, I would post this on there and see if you could get some advice or someone might even offer to lend a hand. I could possibly lend a hand to wrench too. Depending on what part of Bmore you're in, you might not be that far from me. I have a couple odd ball tools for the swap that would help
I am on that forum. I think it might be dead. I posted this issue there on day-one and not one reply. Last time I checked, it had been months since anyone posted there.

I'll PM you about the repair. Thanks.

What a potential and rather interesting turn of events we have here folks... :wall:. As previously stated, there might be a local G8 owner willing and able to lend a hand. At the very least, they may have a personal experience with a nearby reputable shop(s). If necessary, perchance the undertaking could be tabled for a future day if you ultimately decided to keep the G8. Good luck
Well, what has happened with this. Did you sell the car, or get it fixed, or what, we want to know!!
Yes, I still have the car. The repair option is still being explored. I have a friend and fellow G8 owner that I'm talking to about helping me. Cost is still going to be a factor but doing it myself with help is the only way I could do it.

A guess a scan is where I'm going to start. There's a shop near me that says they have diagnostic equipment comparable to a Tech2. It's a lot closer than the dealership and since I'm driving it there, that's critical.

Don't know when or if any of it is going to happen but I'll keep the thread updated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So, here's the latest. I have a friend that's a pretty experienced DIY mechanic. He does most of his own work and has rebuilt an engine before. Like you guys, he says fixing it is the way to go. He has a G8 and seems confident that we can handle lifters and a cam if it needs it. By his estimate, a day, maybe two with a cam swap.

Although I'm in good hands, I'd like to go into this as knowledgeable as possible. Any tips, tricks, pointers or instructions that I can study would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I found this write-up on how to free up sticky lifters and springs with oil additives.

I saw a video a while back of a guy using some kind of rod to tap loose a stuck lifter.

Any thoughts? Just looking at cheap and easy options to at least prove or disprove the lifter theory. I know it sounds like a lifter but I'm still not 100% convinced.

If it's a collapsed lifter, then why are the pushrods and rocker arms moving normally? I watched another video of a guy diagnosing a collapsed lifter and you can see that one of the rocker arms were loose because the pushrod was down.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Sold. Got an offer that I couldn't refuse.

I did the math and with everyone I knew telling me that if it was lifters, the right thing to do was a full DOD delete, those numbers didn't work for me. The offer I got came right in at the net profit I would expect to get if I fixed it. Instantly eliminated any further consideration of putting more time and money into the car.

As a professional mechanic, the buyer has the finances, resources and skill to not only make it right, but make it much much better. We both won on this deal. I got a very nice return and release from this nagging burden of paying insurance on a car that I can't even drive. He got a great new toy at a fair price that will some day be tearing up the local tracks in style.

Thank you all very much for your assistance.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts