Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 G8 GT that I purchased in February 2010 with 48,000 miles on it. It now has 172,000 miles and has had no suspension work in the time that I've owned it (Everything is stock).

I've got a creaking/groaning noise coming from the front passengers suspension. It's worse/louder in the winter. I've attempted to get the noise on a video here:

I've tried to follow the suspension inspection instructions here: How to Inspect your Front Suspension
For the Strut Mounts check I had trouble getting the first nut off as the stud that it is on was just spinning with the nut. Eventually I got it off and attempted to rotate the inside nut 45 degrees. This video is what happened:
(spoiler, it spun easily and did not spring back).

The only other check that I could notice anything with was when I had the tire in the air and put my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and pushed/pulled, I noticed a slight movement, but nothing nearly as severe as I've seen in videos posted online by other people.

Can anyone identify that noise or provide any input on what you believe I'll need to replace in the suspension?

Thanks,
Cody

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Sounds like it could be either the strut mounts or a control arm(s). At 172,000 miles, both the struts and mounts should definitely be changed.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Also the rubber thingys that isolate the spring ends from touching metal.

Also, on removing the nut, why didn’t you put a wrench on the tip of the strut to hold it? The hex is right there.

Slight movement in the bearings? Change them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it could be either the strut mounts or a control arm(s). At 172,000 miles, both the struts and mounts should definitely be changed.
Thanks PONY MAN, does the creaking sound indicate that the struts need replaced too? Or are you just basing that on the mileage?

Also the rubber thingys that isolate the spring ends from touching metal.

Also, on removing the nut, why didn’t you put a wrench on the tip of the strut to hold it? The hex is right there.

Slight movement in the bearings? Change them!
Thanks whatnext, can you provide any more detail on what you mean by rubber thingys? Do you know what size that hex is? My 10mm was too small, but the 11mm was too large. The 3/8" was too small, but the 7/16" was too large. I tried a crescent wrench on it, but that wasn't working. I ended up spraying WD40 on them and letting that soak for 15 minutes, then used vice grips on the top with a wrench on the nut to get it loose.

Sounds like strut mounts to me as well.
Thanks Hot Rod, sounds like there's a consensus that I need to change the strut mounts.

If I decide to replace the strut mounts (More Information for MONROE 903932) but not the struts, are there any other pieces/parts that have to be replaced at the same time?

What about if I replace the struts (More Information for ACDELCO 506754) and strut mounts? Is there anything else that I'd have to replace at the same time?

I put links to what I found on rockauto, but do you guys have any other recommendations? I don't really want to change the ride from stock feel/look.

Thanks,
Cody

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
The sound implies failing strut mounts versus the strut. Given both the current mileage and the need to compress the spring in order to remove the mount, suggest replacing the struts as well. Bear in mind, the springs are under quite a bit of tension and purchasing a spring compressor from xyz store and doing it yourself may not be wise especially if this would be the first "rodeo". At 172,000 miles, they're way past over due and changing them prolongs the life of the suspension. Regarding the strut mounts, don't replace them with rubber mounts. Instead purchase the Super Pro's mentioned here. Best "rubber" strut mounts? Learned that lesson the difficult way with a set Moog's that failed (collapsed/ fell apart) after less than two years of minimal usage. Whatnext is referencing the rubber spring insulators. The struts linked from Rock Auto are the original FE2's oil charged and aren't nearly as good as the FE3's gas charged. Unfortunately, the FE3 rear shocks are difficult to find and many members frown upon running different valving struts and shocks. However, currently have FE3's in the front and FE2's in the rear which suits just fine. Needless to say, a nice handling and comfortable ride are very subjective terms.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Spring insulators post number 38. Suspension refresh coming. See a third one as well listed on Rock Auto AcDelco 92279412 (front).

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good the vice grips worked on the strut tips. My 10mm socket does fit but had to wiggle it on.

And thanks Pony for clarifying my technical description of the spring insulators.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
49 Posts
I went with Whiteline strut mounts and bearings, very pleased with the ride, it did stiffen up the front end from the original rubber ones but well worth it. The Super Pros look good as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help guys.

I think you've gotten me convinced to go with the spf1590ak | GTO Front Strut Mount with Bearing | SuperPro SPF1590AK strut mounts.

For the spring insulators it looks like I need to get both of these items, correct?
GM 92279412 - Front Coil Spring Insulator, Upper
GM 92295781 - Front Coil Spring Insulator, Lower

I'm going to replace the struts as well. After reading up on the fe2 vs fe3, I don't think I really need the stiffer performance of the fe3. So I'm just going to replace the struts with the stock fe2.
More Information for ACDELCO 506754
More Information for ACDELCO 506748
Rockauto seemed to have the best price I could find for the struts and spring insulators. Anybody have any other recommendations?

So my plan is new Superpro strut mounts, new fe2 struts, and new spring insulators. Is there anything else that has to be replaced when these items are replaced?

Thanks,
Cody

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
^^^ Copy and paste the code in the "how did you hear about us" section to receive 5% off the order before taxes*.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered these a few weeks ago and am relatively sure the seller is Super Pro. SPF1590AK SuperPro Hybrid Strut Top Mount Pontiac GTO & G8 (with bearing) | eBay. Be sure to google the 5% off discount code when purchasing from Rock Auto. Copy and paste the May have to shop around in order to find the best price.
Thanks for the tip about the 5% off at rockauto, I didn't know they did any discounts.

I've got everything ordered and hopefully will get it all installed this coming weekend. Thanks for your help.

Cody

1 - 13 of 13 Posts