Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning while driving to work I was driving about 40mph and got on the gas hard. The transmission downshifted and I began accelerating. When I did this I heard almost a rubbing noise coming from the console area. It is able to be recreated but only in drive. I tried in sport and manual mode but it does not do it. The noise almost sounds like a deep froggy noise. Like a loud croak. What could this be guys?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Do you still have DOD active? Since putting on my Roto-fab I have noticed if I'm cruising with DOD active and get in the throttle somewhat quickly I will hear a quick rumbling noise similar to what you describe coming from the intake. I think it's the sound of the cylinders reactivating and can only be heard when the throttle body opens quickly as they activate. Have you tried recreating it with the windows down to determine where the sound is coming from? With the windows up it does kinda sound like it's coming from the console.

Edit: After re-reading your post I'm pretty sure this is what you're hearing. A deep froggy noise describes it perfectly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% sure but I dot believe its the DOD. I've never heard this prior to this morning. My gf was in the car and even she was like WTF!! The DOD gives me a deep mellow noise this was a completely different sound.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The noise I'm talking about only lasts a split second and happens right as DOD is disengaging and only on quick throttle input, it's not constant while DOD is engaged.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to recreate it again on my way home from work and couldn't. Guess my g8 fixed its self...(joking). Ill have to see what comes of it. Like I said I am not sure if it was DOD. I've heard that burble before this was definitely more of a groan/rubbing/vibration.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I tried to recreate it again on my way home from work and couldn't. Guess my g8 fixed its self...(joking). Ill have to see what comes of it. Like I said I am not sure if it was DOD. I've heard that burble before this was definitely more of a groan/rubbing/vibration.
Were you hearing the throttle blade flopping open and shut?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't make the noise when I rev the engine hard. Idk if that is an indication that the noise was not the throttle blade or it is.

·
Registered
295 Posts
On a hard rev you probably wont hear much. With the blade only slightly open and the engine sucking in air between idle and partial throttle. The air is flowing in a turbid manner and thus will cause some cavitation. I have had weird sounds made on my car since I installed my roto-fab intake. The stocker deadens a lot of the intake noise. To be honest I am not sure what it would be, just what my limited mechanical mind comes up with...LOL

Can you get some audio of the sound?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill try to get some video this morning on my way to work. Other than the noise everything seems to be running great. Except for my one bad rear O2 sensor that I still need to change.

Edit: I updated my sig with my mods. All of these were installed prior to me buying the car.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
This morning while driving to work I was driving about 40mph and got on the gas hard. The transmission downshifted and I began accelerating. When I did this I heard almost a rubbing noise coming from the console area. It is able to be recreated but only in drive. I tried in sport and manual mode but it does not do it. The noise almost sounds like a deep froggy noise. Like a loud croak. What could this be guys?

Hello Atlasdriver88,

Have you considered taking your vehicle into a dealership for diagnosis? With you being able to recreate the problem, they should have no problem diagnosing. I can help set that appointment up for you if you like. I would just need some information from you which you can private message me. Here to help.

Reggie B.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Reggie! I have but I'm waiting to see what day I have available. Unusually have my car services at Lester Glenn Buick GMC in Toms River. That's where I bought the car.

I tried to recreate the noise today multiple times and could not. Made for a fun ride but I was confused as to why it did not recreate. I don't want to drop it off yet to have some young tech flooring my vehicle around town trying to make that noise happen. Trust me you'd be surprised what I have seen techs do at times to customer vehicles. Makes my stomach hurt thinking about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts