Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else is considering the National G8 Meet in Iowa?
It is a 31 hour drive. If there are a few of us we could spend a little extra money and go in together to do a transport, and then fly to a major airport to meet the cars.
Maybe drive back?
Or the other way around?
Anyone???

·
Registered
377 Posts
I know that Justin (Bad Karma) is planning on driving out there. He drove out there last year also. He's from Portland and was asking some us about driving out there with him. I'm kinda considering it and I think Mike is considering it also. I think I'd rather just drive it than use a transport, but it depends on how much the transport costs. I've driven to Minnesota many, many times because I have lots of family there and it's an extremely easy drive to do.

·
Registered
491 Posts
No transport for me. The roadtrip aspect of it is really enjoyable to me. Good music, girlfriend by my side, windows down and cruising. It would be spectacular to do a 5000 mile convoy with a couple other G8s. I'm going 100%.

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad Karma and Rub: I totally get the road trip aspect. Not sure if I can take the time to drive both ways. I love driving my car but 5000 miles on the odometer for a car show, no matter how good, is a little hard to justify for me.
I have family in South Dakota, and Minnesota and have made the drive many times myself.
My other thought it detailing. When I drove down to California in the fall, I ended having the car detailed before I went to the shows. The front end was horrible with bugs. I have a feeling it is going to be tough to get a really good detail in Iowa.
Just some thoughts to think about.

I will look into the cost of a transport in the next couple of days. I know what it costs to ship one car from South Dakota to Seattle. To make any sense we would need 5 or 6 cars all going together.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Nothing a good car wash and Adams detail spray cant fix.

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing a good car wash and Adams detail spray cant fix.
It took a professional detailer 4 hours to the exterior of the car and he had a full mobile unit. No way a high pressure car wash and detail spray would have gotten it Show Ready. I tried, and then called the detailer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
$1100?! Hah! That's my budget for most of the entire trip. $1100 for the shipping, plus airfare is ridiculous when you are dirt poor.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It took a professional detailer 4 hours to the exterior of the car and he had a full mobile unit. No way a high pressure car wash and detail spray would have gotten it Show Ready. I tried, and then called the detailer.
Who do you go to for your detail?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Looking for 5 G8 owners who are not dirt poor. :wink2:
I'm not dirt poor, but there's no way in hell I would pay $1,100 to ship my car over there. I could drive it there and back for $500 in gas, plus the drive is most of the fun. I'd rather spend the $1,100 on headers or other mods for the car.

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who do you go to for your detail?
I used Innovative Detailing http://www.innovativedetailing.com/

Dave is awesome. The car needed to be perfect, I had a photoshoot the next day. It rained off on and all the way through WA and OR, and then bug central all through the night in CA. My car was demolished.

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not dirt poor, but there's no way in hell I would pay $1,100 to ship my car over there. I could drive it there and back for $500 in gas, plus the drive is most of the fun. I'd rather spend the $1,100 on headers or other mods for the car.
I agree with you. At $1,100 it doesn't make sense. I will be looking for another quote. At $500 a car it makes more sense to do one way.

To drive $400-500 in gas, plus one night of hotel on the way for another $100. Unless you are a road warrior and sleep in your car. It is too far to drive straight through. I used to drive straight through to my folks in South Dakota and 20 hours straight is a killer!

The quote seems high considering what I paid to ship a car recently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys i hate to theard jack here, but have you guys heard the dates for 2011 meet yet. I went last year and it was a blast. I looked around on the site but i didnt find a post with the info for this year.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Sept. 9-11.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thank God for a full front bra. 13 hours one way for me last year. Straight Interstate. Blast coming back with the folks from St. Louie.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts