Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NC
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DougHG8, GXPaycheck, Eidolon

Question on the sunroof. SO with all the heavy rain I might have a water leak issue with the G8 sunroof. Driving home... I was feeling underneath the sunroof gasket and it felt wet... not damp, but wet to the touch.

Also... I had water dripping out of the A pillar from behind the Airbag piece...

any of you guys had this issue before? blocked drain tube or something?

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
By your post, are you waiting for T/S thoughts or solutions from those 3 above. Was thinking of posting some info that *might* assist you, but don't want barge in.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I haven't had this problem so I'm no help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No issue here either. I do get the creak when pulling out of the driveway. Haven't lubed the sun roof seal lately that took care of it in the past.

·
NC
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By your post, are you waiting for T/S thoughts or solutions from those 3 above. Was thinking of posting some info that *might* assist you, but don't want barge in.
Fire away... any and all are welcome to chime in, I just was trying to "tag them" in the posting since I met them in May at the CandC.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
No issues here either, although she doesn't get driven in the rain anymore.

You keeping it protected with SVRT or similar?

·
NC
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SVRT?

I just got the car in December... so I'm still figuring out what to use. Never had a sunroof before, have had a convertible though.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Adams Polishes Super Vinyl Rubber Tire Dressing. It's great stuff for protecting the weather stripping on the vehicle. Door, trunk, sunroof seals, dash, doors, tires, all plastic interior trim, all plastic trunk trim, etc.

and all their stuff smells GREAT! Makes me want to lick my car.

Adams Polishes Detail Spray is also a must have. I use it all the time for waterless washes, removing pollen, and keeping Trigger looking her best. It's great for wiping her down before car shows.

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
I see that the closing seal is attached to the glass and is difficult to see its overall condition. Its easy to see all of its exposed surface (when closed), but you can only see a portion (all of the leading edge and corners) of the vertical portion of that seal when lowered and slightly retracted (at least in my car). It looks like it needs to be pretty flawless to be leak proof. Any cracks or cuts would make that seal a weeper.
They show that all 4 corners of the frame/tray assy, have a water drain off grommet/tubes molded into them. They exit down both A pillars in the front and C pillars for the rear. Attached to those tube are rubber hoses that work there way into the pillars and then attach to tubes that carry the water out to a dump zone out out of the cabin. If water is leaking thru one of those A pillar zones, you might have a problem with the rubber hose to tube junction. But that requires that the headliner be dropped in that area for a look see.
I don't know how impervious (to moisture) that seal attached to the glass is. So maybe applying some of that SVRT talked about, to as much of the seal as possible, will eliminate the water intrusion with no further maint required.

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
The sunroof seal isn't perfect because it doesn't overlap with the metal of the roof. Instead, it's flush. If it were tight enough to seal, then the sunroof module would have trouble moving the roof.

So yup, there is a drain tray underneath the sunroof meant to catch any water that makes it through, plus drain tubes to carry the water away.

If you're seeing water in a pillar, then I'd have to agree with GOPHERIT, that you've got a drain tube problem. I think there may have been a TSB for it...

Regardless, it's something your dealer could help you with.

·
Grrr888t times...
306 Posts
No problem with mine for 4 1/2 years but got a leak in top of drivers side A pillar today when it rained. Sounds exactly like what is described here. Looks like a dealer visit.

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
No leaks on mine. There are several threads about water leaks on both forums. Search water and sunroof. You might have a plugged drain.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Drains are always a first place to look with leaky sunroofs IMO. They have even worse problems when the car is parked outside or under a tree...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.