Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GXP M6, 450 whp.

Need a new clutch because it's slipping now WOT. Yes I tried turkey baster approach to clean fluid, that didn't work. Then I had it bleed at my local mechanic. Got my full pedal travel back but now it's slipping at WOT in third and mechanic says it's slipping as well and smelled burnt.

I'm not going power adders. I've got plenty right now.

So, what do I get that will hold up to banging the gears once in a while but also some easy commuting.

Stock?
Katech LS9x (looks like it's a ZR-1 clutch and stuff to make it work with GXP)
McLeod Twin?
???

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
219 Posts
+1 subscribed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
What about a LS7 clutch? That should be able to handle your power level since it's about the same as a stock LS7.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If youre not going to throw slicks or DRs on it or a power adder, the LS7 would be a great clutch. The monster stage 2 is an awesome clutch with no chatter with great street manners if you plan on throwing slicks or DRs on your car for drag racing.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
the ls7 clutch would die the first time you slip it. its not made for a 4000lb car, people kill them in gto's that weight 300-400lbs less. I'm looking for the same thing and i'm going twin disk. either Katech LS9X, RPS Street Twin or Exedy twin disk. most everything else is going to be heavier or basically be an on off switch with big pedal effort. I had an exedy hyper single in my turbo cobalt and it was stiff and agressive(thats what she said) but i like it... i'll likely have the exedy twin in my car in the next month or two so i can try and bust off some 12 second passes on street tires.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have an ls9 clutch in my car and I'm already maxing it out... Has the clutch stay down half way at wot problem...I'm switching to a center force dual disk setup.. But if you choose to put a clutch in go dual disk, completely changes the car...for the better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ls7 are stock here in australa. Won't hold much power and will slip or stick to the floor at hard launch.
I have a mccloed rxt all I can say is awesome. IMO one of the best clutches I have used and lighter than stock.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Lighter than stock? Wow, I wouldn't like that. That's one thing my friends that I've let drive my car has said, pedal effort is too light. I agree with them whole heartedly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ls7 are stock here in australa. Won't hold much power and will slip or stick to the floor at hard launch.
I have a mccloed rxt all I can say is awesome. IMO one of the best clutches I have used and lighter than stock.

I just dropped my trans out last night to install the same thing. I have yet to really hear anything bad about the Mccloed RXT so that is what I am installing. I think it is lighter than stock but only by a couple of pounds. You can choose to get a lightweight flywheel with it but I chose the heavier flywheel. Obviously I can't really review it at this time but hopefully in the next few weeks I will. Andy at Livernois highly recommend it too. I think the Katech LS9R/X has gotten pretty good praise as well.

Don't forgot to order an OEM slave cylinder/throwout bearing and pilot bearing while you're at it. If nobody has them in stock (tick performance) then you are looking at few weeks or longer for the slave cylinder to come in. Might also consider the Tick Performance remote bleeder while your at it. IMHO it is one of those cheap no-brainers.

Something else I noticed when I got the trans out last night was that my crankshaft seal is leaking and I only have 45,000 miles on my car. It isn't leaking a lot but probably enough to contaminate the clutch.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I always replace the rear main seal unless its spotless(which I've never seen). Its a couple of bucks and issuper easy while your there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts