Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know the exact size so I can try to get him the best brand
Read somewhere that its 265/40/r19
I know jack **** and **** all about this so don't laugh.
Is it just like that or is it 265/40Z/R19
Apparently that z makes it ****ing different... Idk please help me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The stock sizes are 245/45/18 and 245/40/19, depending on if you have the 18 or 19 inch wheels. If you wanted to go to a 265 width, you'd need something like 265/35/19, but even that would be a little short. 275/35/19 is what I run on the rear of my car.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The letter Z (or other letters) in the tire size refers to the max speed rating of the tire. A "Z" rated tire is good for 149 mph.

I point you to the TireRack.com website and their tire tech section/tire size info where they explain all the tech details of what is shown on a tire's sidewall. You'll also find a list of all the tire speed ratings.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A few pointers to help you get started in the world of tires:

Finding the right balance of handling, ride and tread life is a challenge and always will be. I've been buying tires even before radial tires came on the market. I currently have 2 cars and a truck and they each need different types of tires.

I hate to say this but without much more thinking Michelin tires will put you in a decent place (tire wise).

·
Registered
186 Posts
As noted, if you want to stay with stock the widest would be 245. Many have gone wider. I have 255/40 19 on all four corners. Keep in mind the width of the rim also. If you put too wide on the rim, it will bulge out a bit. The max for the stock 8 inch wide rims is 245 per many tire manufacturers but as said I and many other have gone wider. Also need to consider if you go much wider than 255 up front whether you will have fender rubbing or strut rubbing issues, which can be taken care of by spacers, rolling fenders but that gets a little more complex. If you search, you will find a wealth of info. If the car is lowered, that is another factor.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I hate to say this but without much more thinking Michelin tires will put you in a decent place (tire wise).
Just to hint at the complexity, I replaced the all terrain Michelins on my truck this year with Continentals (more aggressive tread with a decent ride) and last year the Michelin grand touring tires on my small car with Continentals (to quiet the ride). Not that I have a thing for Continentals, its just that Continental came out with newer tires with the characteristics I was looking for. Now for the G8 - I have Michelin high performance all seasons on it and was thinking forward to replacing them with grand touring tires. But after a 2200 mile road trip this spring, the G8 with the high performance tires was a great GT car and still rides better/quieter than my small car with new grand touring tires. So I will stay with high performance all seasons on the G8 (probably the newest Michelins of the same category). Yes, I'm really fine tuning the tires to what I want out of each vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few pointers to help you get started in the world of tires:

Finding the right balance of handling, ride and tread life is a challenge and always will be. I've been buying tires even before radial tires came on the market. I currently have 2 cars and a truck and they each need different types of tires.

I'm getting his rear wheels cause he doesn't have much tread on them atm. How wide can I go for his rears and do I go 265/40... Or 265/35 cause its a bit mixed on this and I DONT WANNA **** UP
He got his engine fixed up and has like 440 hp and wants to make sure his tires don't spin out at certain speeds as he's upgarding the pulley and exhaust. (****ing up his muffler or some **** like that)
He works really hard and I'm just trying to give him things to make his life easier and build his racecar.
but I got make sure its right. Please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright so I have sizes. If you all could give me more insight on brands that you all have personal experience on your pontoavs that would be great. Mostly for summer tires. He uses it as his daily as well. Is constantly flooring it on the hwy and racing people when he's not using it for daily transport to work. (Dont know if that helps in narroeing tires down)
I'm looking so far into Michellins, Nitto, continental, and toyo.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Michelin pilot AS 3+ or continental dws 06 for Hugh performance all season. I live in colder climates so I stay away from summer only tires, even though they may be ok. Most summer onkybget a little squirrelly in lower temps.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Michelin pilot AS 3+ or continental dws 06 for Hugh performance all season. I live in colder climates so I stay away from summer only tires, even though they may be ok. Most summer onkybget a little squirrelly in lower temps.
Me too. Summer tires get slippery with temps in the 40s. A guy at work crashed his bimmer when he drove his summer tires in the low 40s thinking he could get away with it. So here with night time temps already starting to dip into the 40s, summer tires would only be on the car for 4 months out of the year. I have the slightly older Michelin pilot AS3 referred to in post #6 and will go with the newer + model. The Continental dws 06 look good too. The AS3 and dws 06 are the best handling all season tires.

If you are going with summer tires, then the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Continental Extreme Contact Sports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts