Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently got my car (09 Pontiac G8 GXP) back from the body shop after hitting a deer. One of the parts that needed to be replaced was the radiator support. Apparently GM redesigned the radiator support (confirmed with Greg from Pace Performance) and the new design doesn't have any brackets to attach my Roto-Fab radiator cover. There were four brackets that the radiator cover attached to with the old design, but with the new design those are no longer there. I'm wondering if anyone has run across this issue in the past and if so what was the solution? I really love how the radiator cover cleans up the look of the engine bay. I would hate to not be able to use it any longer. I've attached some photos to further illustrate the problem. The white G8 in the first picture is my buddy's '08 GT. It has the brackets that are missing from the redesigned radiator support circled in red. The maroon GXP is mine and I'm trying to show where the brackets should be to attach the radiator cover. Anyone have any advice or recommendations on how to remedy this problem???

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've read several of these stories and I don't know of a fix short of making you some homemade brackets for it. You're not the only one.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
crap !!! this blows , means my VCM wont work any since it attaches to the same tabs , and i was a minor accident , and they gotta replace the core support :(

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read several of these stories and I don't know of a fix short of making you some homemade brackets for it. You're not the only one.
I ordered a sheet of abs plastic to see if I can make some sort of bracket to attach the radiator cover, but after looking at the underside of the core support this may be harder than it sounds. Once i get the ABS sheet, I'll take a harder look and see what I can come up with.

crap !!! this blows , means my VCM wont work any since it attaches to the same tabs , and i was a minor accident , and they gotta replace the core support :(
I was looking at switching to a VCM intake myself, but it uses the same holes on the radiator support as the radiator cover.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i think a L bracket , and some rivets might work

·
Registered
791 Posts
You could always find junkyard car that was T-boned or rear ended and get the core support off of it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I think I may have found an easy solution to this problem. I tried to unsuccessfully make some brackets out of some 1/8" ABS plastic sheet and after that attempt I gave up basically on this project. Well, today I was randomly surfing the ole interwebs and I went to Improved Racing's website to looks at the VCM intakes. I clicked on the instructions and I see that on page 2 and 3 of the instructions (INSTRUCTIONS HERE) they now include brackets for the "re-designed" radiator support. I called them up and bought the two center brackets that are in the red rectangle in the picture. Total cost was $29 for the two brackets and $6 shipping. They should be here next week and I'll let everyone know if they work.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
nice , do they have the for the side pieces too ?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice , do they have the for the side pieces too ?

Yes. If you look at page 3 of the pdf instructions they offer a bracket for the passenger side also (near the fuse box). I was going to try the two center brackets first and see if that is enough to hold the radiator cover firmly. If not, I'll buy the third bracket from them.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes. If you look at page 3 of the pdf instructions they offer a bracket for the passenger side also (near the fuse box). I was going to try the two center brackets first and see if that is enough to hold the radiator cover firmly. If not, I'll buy the third bracket from them.
sweet , let me/us know how it goes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same thing happen to me when I ordered mine.

The holes were not aligned to the bottom of the cover but towards the top.

I called ROTO FAB and the woman there had no idea what I was talking about.

I got frustrated after she kept telling me to read the instructions.

I just sent it back.

Gd luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts