Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Sekzi Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong... I am trying to get the stock G8 fuel pump line connector that is at the top undone and it absolutely refuses to come off. I'm afraid I am going to completely destroy it if I keep trying to remove it. IT should be as simple as pushing in on the 2 side tabs and getting it to release, but f**k no....

AND to make matters worse... I made a very small puncture in the top of the tank when trying to get the retainer ring off...

Today is just not my day... Please help!

-LPM

·
Sekzi Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried that, my fingers are super sore already from squeezing... :(

I called a friend over and between the both of us we managed to get it off... While I pushed down and squeezed he used a could of big flat bladed screw drivers and pried up sideways to help it raise up... Ridiculous.

·
Sekzi Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know WTF I'm doing... Never done this before. Please tell me if I have the F-Body regulator installed correctly.

I inserted the adapter from [email protected] in first, then inserted this regulator and used the original mounting hardware.

Also, does anything plug onto the nipple of the new regulator?

-LPM

·
Sekzi Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, hopefully it is right because, it's installed!

Made a plug and play harness, I didn't want to cut into the factory harness.

It pressured up and has no leaks. I used the same method as Shane for the cross over line.

Patched up the small nick with some 2-part gas tank repair sealant.

-LPM

·
Sekzi Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can someone please help me out here...

Is it normal for the car to lose pressure in the gas line after sitting for a little while with this new pump? If I try and start the car after sitting for a while it acts like it's not getting fuel for a few seconds as it sputters and then it will build pressure and kick off.

-LPM

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I know there are some that have had lose of pressure, but I thought the kit you have took care of that.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I decided I didn't want a hole cut so was trying to remove the tank. It appears we have to remove the diff to do so. So we are still fighting with getting the tank out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Did you imstall the adapter piece from vaporworks into the regulator?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tom, I just sent the instructions. Your request for them was the first I've received.

If the fuel pressure regulator o-rings are not properly seated the pressure will not hold after the key is off. It will also reduce the fuel volume being delivered to the engine. Here's a few things to check.

1) There should be an o-ring on the body of the aluminum fuel pressure regulator adapter.

2) The small o-ring on the fuel pressure regulator, the one that fits over the small tube in the center, must be placed on the tube during installation. If not placed on the tube first, it may not align properly during installation. Hence, if you removed the regulator, and the small o-ring stayed in the aluminum part, the o-ring must be placed back on to the regulator first.

3) The fuel pressure regulator has a larger o-ring that seals into the bore of module. There should be a small spacer between the flange and the o-ring. The o-ring should not be directly against the flange.

4) Check to make sure that there are no cuts, cracks, etc. on any of the o-rings.

5) Lubricate the o-rings with oil before installation.

I can send a shorter version of the instructions, but they can be found in the back of this larger document starting on page 22. The same instructions apply for LS3 and ZL1 modules.

http://vaporworx.com/Vaporworx Fuel Tray, Mounting Ring, Corner Pickups, and Wiring Instructions.pdf

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It was the first time I requested them. They were working on pulling the tank yesterday I figured I would get clearification on the regulator install install before they started asking me today. Its good you found this thread to since there isn't to much info out there on this swap.

For people doing this just cut an access hole to get to the pump if you don't exhaust, driveshaft, and diff have to come out to get the tank out.

Thanks carl

·
Sekzi Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tom, I just sent the instructions. Your request for them was the first I've received.

If the fuel pressure regulator o-rings are not properly seated the pressure will not hold after the key is off. It will also reduce the fuel volume being delivered to the engine. Here's a few things to check.

1) There should be an o-ring on the body of the aluminum fuel pressure regulator adapter.

2) The small o-ring on the fuel pressure regulator, the one that fits over the small tube in the center, must be placed on the tube during installation. If not placed on the tube first, it may not align properly during installation. Hence, if you removed the regulator, and the small o-ring stayed in the aluminum part, the o-ring must be placed back on to the regulator first.

3) The fuel pressure regulator has a larger o-ring that seals into the bore of module. There should be a small spacer between the flange and the o-ring. The o-ring should not be directly against the flange.

4) Check to make sure that there are no cuts, cracks, etc. on any of the o-rings.

5) Lubricate the o-rings with oil before installation.

I can send a shorter version of the instructions, but they can be found in the back of this larger document starting on page 22. The same instructions apply for LS3 and ZL1 modules.

http://vaporworx.com/Vaporworx Fuel Tray, Mounting Ring, Corner Pickups, and Wiring Instructions.pdf

Hey Carl,

Thanks for the info and speaking with me on the phone today.

I took the pump back out of the car, went through the install procedure of the FPR, you outlined above in the manual, and looked for the things you posted about.

I pressured up the system after I was all done, checked for leaks, started the car, etc. Waited for about 30 mins, and tried to start it up and same thing all over. For whatever reason pressure is still falling off... :( Any more advice or things I can try? Could it be a bad FPR or pump? Any help you can give is much appreciated.

-Steven

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I am not doing any of the work myself, I supplied all the parts except one important part 1/4" fuel line hopefully it will be done tomorrow. But other than that no snags getting the pump together at this point on my car. Guess I won't know if I have this fuel pressure issue until it is too late hope it all goes as designed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So many vendors state "We have not had that happen before." Well, this is a first for me with this setup, so thank you for being patient as we figure out what's going on. It could be happening for others as well but we don't know.

First, attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail so that it can be confirmed that the fuel pressure is dropping off and at what rate. If it turns out to be a slow leak and you would rather not go through a bunch of hassle, try turning the key to the run position for a second or so before going to crank. This should prime the system as the ECM should turn the pump on for a second or two before shutting down.

Is it possible that the regulator is leaking? Sure. There are also several o-ring connections in the module. There is a check valve on the pump motor outlet. There are the O-rings on the regulator and adapter. In other words, there are lots of places for leaks to occur.

One way to narrow it down, though it's a super PITA, is to put the OE regulator back in and see if the pressure holds. If it does, then the problem narrows to the fuel pressure regulator or adapter. If not, it's something else in the module. If I was betting, Id' lay money that it is something to do with the regulator or adapter.

I can send another adapter to try.

·
every village has one
2,380 Posts
Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong... I am trying to get the stock G8 fuel pump line connector that is at the top undone and it absolutely refuses to come off. I'm afraid I am going to completely destroy it if I keep trying to remove it. IT should be as simple as pushing in on the 2 side tabs and getting it to release, but f**k no....

AND to make matters worse... I made a very small puncture in the top of the tank when trying to get the retainer ring off...

Today is just not my day... Please help!

-LPM
Curious as to how you fixed the fuel tank puncture.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.