Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 177k miles, the stock headlight housings are oxidized and make my car look horrible. It's time for a replacement.

I'm looking at the Spyder headlights with the LED bar and will probably get the matching tail lights too. Not sure I really like the Spec D's. Any reason why they are significantly more money than the Spyders?

Are they plug and play? Should I get an HID kit for them as well? Or are the spyders already HID? Do they use a factory bulb? If so, what's a decent HID kit to go with? I see cheap ones for $30-40 and ones over $100.

I'm a complete newb to lighting but have some skills to follow directions to splice wiring etc (can build an engine).

My G8 is black, so pics of installs would be awesome. Thanks.

·
every village has one
2,169 Posts
Some of the restore kits work pretty good. Might be worth a try first...

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I recently ordered an oe equipment on amazon .Stil waiting to put it in. it was 120 bucks to my door.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I can get OEM for less. I think that if I'm going to do something, I want to do something nice. Some prefer the stock look and just add HID.

It looks like the Spyder are the answer for the housing and the Morimoto H11B with XB ballast in 5500 or 6500 for the HID kit.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Some of the restore kits work pretty good. Might be worth a try first...
The "restore" kits remove the OEM covering. What needs to be done with these "restore" kits is to recoat the headlights afterward. If not, the headlights will look bad again in much less time since the plastic will be exposed to the elements and sandblasting from driving.

I recently ordered an oe equipment on amazon .Stil waiting to put it in. it was 120 bucks to my door.
Link?

I know I can get OEM for less. I think that if I'm going to do something, I want to do something nice. Some prefer the stock look and just add HID.

It looks like the Spyder are the answer for the housing and the Morimoto H11B with XB ballast in 5500 or 6500 for the HID kit.
Be careful as the output from the projectors in the Spyder and SpecD headlight housings are significantly worse than OEM.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you mean by projectors? Hi beams?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even if I swap in HID'd?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Have heard from others the replacements from Rock Auto are excellent quality.
Mine are aging well it seems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I restored my headlights with a kit and clear coated them afterwards. Looks brand new with no orange peel whatsoever. Takes practice and alot of finesse spraying clear coat from an aerosol can. LOTS of it lol

But I'm currently waiting for a bracket to install some Morimoto D2S 4.0's on an extra pair of headlights i have sitting here. Not a fan of the aftermarket headlights options we are so limited to. Retrofit yours however you want them! Will cost more, but in the end you will be extremely satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I restored my headlights with a kit and clear coated them afterwards. Looks brand new with no orange peel whatsoever. Takes practice and alot of finesse spraying clear coat from an aerosol can. LOTS of it lol

But I'm currently waiting for a bracket to install some Morimoto D2S 4.0's on an extra pair of headlights i have sitting here. Not a fan of the aftermarket headlights options we are so limited to. Retrofit yours however you want them! Will cost more, but in the end you will be extremely satisfied.
Very nicely said.

I plan on buying Lamin-x for the new replacement headlights that I'll be retrofitting. I already have Lamin-x on the Morimoto LED fog light assemblies.

I just can't seem to find the headlight protectors only as most seem to pair with the fogs.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was actually looking into getting the Spyder headlights and tail lights for my G8, so would it be better to just keep the current headlights and replace the bulbs with HID?

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I was actually looking into getting the Spyder headlights and tail lights for my G8, so would it be better to just keep the current headlights and replace the bulbs with HID?
Stock projector is for a halogen bulb. Yes, putting an HID bulb in there will be a little better but you really want to replace the projector.

As a side note, I am having issues opening up the TYC lights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stock projector is for a halogen bulb. Yes, putting an HID bulb in there will be a little better but you really want to replace the projector.

As a side note, I am having issues opening up the TYC lights.
Yea I had seen the kits you can buy to convert to HID bulbs but was thinking about doing the Spyder headlights. I didn't realize the Spyder headlights had a reputation of not putting out as much light.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The projector lenses in aftermarket lights (Spyder, Spec-D) are known to be bad. Regardless of the light source put behind them (halogen, HID, LED) the light output is less, more fragmented, or both. I bought new Spyders and sent them out for a professional HID retrofit using mini morimoto projectors and their HID kit. Then I had Lamin-X film applied prior to installation. The retrofit cost more than the lights, but if you're gonna do it, do it right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts