Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to the g8board. Dont even have my g8 yet. As to that is what I need some help with. Im looking at three choices of 2008 g8 gt in my reasonable area and im having trouble choosing. My criteria are simple as they are all g8 gts. All have sport/prem. Pkgs.

Option 1: private seller $24950, 20100 miles, black

Ootion 2: dealer $23850, 33000 miles, white

Option 3 dealee 21990, 59000 miles, drk grey, magnaflow muffs & grill incerts

So witch one would you get and why? If it helps my cap is 25k.

And thanks ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I'd skip the black unless you LOVE to detail the car weekly...

So that leaves white and grey...
I'd offer the dealer 20k for the grey...
Better color and some mods...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Go with the black, 12,900 miles less than the white and only 1100 more. Talk the owner down by 1100 and you get it at a steal. Black is easy to keep clean if you wax it twice a month. Also, the mileage on both the white and black suggest they were babied by the owner, not a daily driver. Stay away from the grey, too many miles and the mods mean it was probably driven hard. Most folks de-mod prior to sell, so odds are it had more than a muffler. The white would not be a bad option either and they look really nice too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would go with the white...you'll have a better chance to negotiate with a dealer and you're getting a car with almost half the miles for only a little bit more money. Plus, white is a great color for these cars...I'm biased for a reason :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would go with the white...you'll have a better chance to negotiate with a dealer and you're getting a car with almost half the miles for only a little bit more money. Plus, white is a great color for these cars...I'm biased for a reason :)
I doubt it will be easier to negotiate with the dealer versus the private seller. i've seen plenty of g8s for sell on this board and almost all of the sellers are willing to negotiate. Plus you still have TTYL with the dealer. JMHO

·
Registered
95 Posts
Truthfully I"d take none of them.. Get on Autotrader and do a bit more searching. Travel a little farther for one. Get the car that YOU want the one that really excites you. I just did a search in my only local area and found several colors with various miles. If your cap is 25K, dealers may have more room to bargain with. Never hurts to really low ball a more expensive one and then negotiate to stay under your cap. You'll get a better car and less mileage and you'll be happier IMHO

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Actually - I'd prefer the black w/ the low mileage, HOWEVER don't let the higher mileage one scare you, if it was maintained correctly and has mostly highway miles it could actually be the one in the BEST shape. Also, be aware this car comes w/ some common gremlins and if the previous owner didn't drive it, or got rid of it when these problems started to surface rather than fixing them you could be buying someone's problems. Why do I state that? Well sir, I have 56,000 highway miles on my car and I could sell it to you today and state w/ confidence along w/ documentation that my car has NO oil leaks from the rear main engine seal or oil pan gasket - inspected and fixed, NO transmission issues - harsh 2-3 shift/flare TSB performed, NO suspension issues - all strut mounts, bushings, struts and LCA's replaced by dealer w/ new hardware, NO brake problems - calipers that get loose on some G8's repaired under warranty, rotors resurfaced, NO wheel shake - road force balance via warranty

Ask the garage queens or 2 year leases owners the same questions and see what you get...BTW these are all such common problems it seems like they're inherent in ALL G8's just depends on when the occur, luckily I'm a diligent and OCD car owner and I'm confident my car will run to 120,000 no issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alot of the comments here have been ringing in my head for a week. I've been scouring the car sites vehix some, mostly cars.com and autotrader.com as well as tracking ebay postings. the most attractive offers i find are in texas and east coast.

Problem is getting there to test drive it. if i pay for the plane ticket to say texas and pay a dealer around 22 to 24k for a good deal ill pay taxes there and when i come back to cali to register my car. not to mention gas for the 1300 mile trip it will all put me beyond my 25k cap. while it is flexable to some extent its not THAT flexable if you know what i mean.

I think its time to really get to the dealers and start talking and dealing.

I know some tips for buying a used car like oil leeks to look out for. I will try to take a mechanic friend to the test drive/inspections.

What are some things to look at hard on a g8? Transmissions from what i been reading are a big thing what else?

thanks for the input from you all. its helping. :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Go with option 2 the white G8 and try to talk them down a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to the dealer with the white car. It pulls quite a bit to the right. Even still I made an offer and the manager wouldnt budge. NEXT!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I went to the dealer with the white car. It pulls quite a bit to the right. Even still I made an offer and the manager wouldnt budge. NEXT!
LOL I told you the dealer isn't going to negotiate. They have to make money off the sell and they probably have it at its lowest cost already. Go for the private owner, i bet you can talk him down by at least 1100! He's probably listed it higher than what he's willing to accept.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts