Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to Quiet down my Stainless Works 3" Cat back system. Its the drone-booming from 1600 RPM to 2700 that is most annoying inside the car. The folks at Stainless Works are working with me and suggest installing a resonators in the X pipe that they sell. I'm wondering if any other forum members have had this problem and what did they do to quiet it down?

My stock Exhaust is salvageable to a degree. I'm thinking if all else fails to replace the center resonator with the Magnaflow center muff and magnaflow axel back muffs. Of course it would all be cut and weld etc. I really don't understand how GM discontinues part only a few years after the car is discontinued? The Chevy SS the last year was 2017 5 years ago and no Exhaust parts are available for it? I thought that they were to produce parts for 10 years? Anyway, going to try the resonators first and see how it goes.

· Pontiac Crazy
743 Posts
I just put a set of 14-15 SS mufflers on my Solo 3" and it killed the drone as well as quieted it down to a very tame level. It sounds like a proper sports car at idle now instead of a Silverado.

Reactions: SaberOne

· Registered
275 Posts
Could also look into XForce Varex mufflers which have valves to dial in how loud you want them to be on the fly

· Registered
287 Posts
When I first installed the StainlessWorks long tube headers and exhaust system in 2018, it was too much drone for me too, so I had the G8 GT mufflers swapped in and that quieted it down. We re-used the center section and connection pipes to the mufflers from my old American Racing Headers exhaust system to make that work.

Eventually it was a little too quiet. So last year, I had the SW long tube headers and cats connected to the Xforce Varex exhaust system and bimodal mufflers. It required adding 3 or 4" of straight pipe to the back end of the catalytic converters to get the systems to connect. It's perfect.

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive exhaust Tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle
. Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats your opinion do you think the dual 3" pipes are too big for good exhaust scavenging coming form the stock manifolds and cats? I'm thinking 2.5" might be better. Anyway, going to try the resonators first from SW first. Plan B is to reinstall the stock system with the Magnaflow muffers. I can't reuse my muffs because one has a broken seam at the top. But the pipes can be salvaged, so I'm going to reuse them if I have to go to plan B. The car felt faster with the old system if that makes sense ?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going back to the stock exhaust system except for the muffs. Going to install a pair of Magnaflow mufflers. The Stainless works system is coming out. If I achieve the sound I'm looking for with the Magnaflows then the Stainless Works system goes up for sale. I thought about using some resonators with the Stainless Works system but I really just want that stuff off of the car. Its a shame that GM does not have a suitable replacement exhaust system.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Worst possible thing to do if you don’t modify the stock cat back. Magnaflow mufflers will drone on the stock pipes. Waste of more money. The stock pipes are restrictive and do little to suppress drone. There are also 4 restrictive sections. The 2 sections of crush pipe and the two rear flex sections. Drone is due to the lack of enough mufflers or J-pipes. The age old mod of adding a Solo axle back to your stock pipes, sounds good and no drone. Just fix the restrictions. The crunch pipe, new flex joints with flanges in the back.
Now do you have the 2 or 3 muffler Stainless Works system? Sounds like you have the 2 muff system. I’m also guessing you have the stock cam and DOD being the source of the drone. Cheapest is turn the DOD off.
My suggestion is add the stainless works mid muffler and have an exhaust shop make J-pipes . You have a 304 stainless rust proof exhaust. Waste to just throw it away.

· Registered
294 Posts
Font Cylinder Screenshot Auto part Automotive lighting

· Registered
5,330 Posts
So you bought the Chevy SS exhaust, not
the G8. The SS doesn’t have DOD so it didn’t need the third muffler to combat drone
Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Font Nickel

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I have the 3 muff Stainless works system and although it sounds good outside the car, its way too loud inside the car. Going to try the Magnaflow muffs with the stock exhaust and if that doesn't give me what I'm looking for, I'm going to fab up my own exhaust system. These aftermarket systems are disappointing to say the least unless you want to car to sound like a modded Corvette or Camaro. Too much noise for my tastes, I would like to hear the aftermarket sound system I installed not the exhaust system.

· Pontiac Crazy
743 Posts
No, I have the 3 muff Stainless works system and although it sounds good outside the car, its way too loud inside the car. Going to try the Magnaflow muffs with the stock exhaust and if that doesn't give me what I'm looking for, I'm going to fab up my own exhaust system. These aftermarket systems are disappointing to say the least unless you want to car to sound like a modded Corvette or Camaro. Too much noise for my tastes, I would like to hear the aftermarket sound system I installed not the exhaust system.
Sounds like you're going about it from the opposite direction that you should though. Marry a set of stock mufflers to the aftermarket catback and I'd be willing to bet that'll give you exactly what you're looking for. I just went through the same with my 3" Solo, the high noise level just got old after a while and the highway drone was terrible. I replaced the J pipes in the rear with stock Chevy SS mufflers and it's perfect now.

Reactions: MGMGXP

· Registered
3,017 Posts
I'm on SW 2" headers into 3" solo mach mid pipe. Had the solo jpipes, then gibson mufflers. Ended up with stock GT muffler fab'd for 3" inlet with cutout at inlets. Can be anywhere from 6am neighbor wake-up call to cruising with the chairman of the board (Sinatra).

· Registered
2,337 Posts
I told you how to do this a month ago. The last 2 guys just told you basically the same thing. Why do people solicit advice on forums only to not take it? You are going about this the wrong way, just own the outcome of your choices.

· Premium Member
10,683 Posts

· Registered
5,330 Posts
If you are worried about a too loud exhaust. Don’t buy a 3” exhaust. Especially for a stock engine.

Reactions: 383_Stroker

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only reason I purchased the Stainless Works system is because the stock system is no longer available , its discontinued. I called Stainless Works and spoke to someone in product support who stated that with the Stock Cats the system shouldn't be too loud. It was my fault for believing him. As for using the SS muff's, only the left is still available the right discontinued. As for using the stock GT muffs only the left side is still available. I put my stock system back on with Magnaflows and its acceptable much better than the stainless works. I may add couple of resonators and or baffles down the road if I want it near stock sound level. I appreciate everyone's opinion etc, however, I have to work with whats available. My first choice would be a complete stock system but its discontinued.

· Pontiac Crazy
743 Posts
There's plenty of stock G8 and SS mufflers available used. You don't have to buy them brand new and honestly you'd be paying way too much if you did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts