Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
needing help finding a good O2 sensors seems i am having crap luck with denso.

I had a bank2sens1 code and we moved the sensor to drivers side. a few days code follows ok sensor is crap.

new sensor goes in and and a few days goes by and bank1sens1 code is back. these are ALL new O2's

wondering if they are just to sensitive or is there a better O2 to use.

car has to go to inspection REALLY soon and i need this resolved

i have ARH full system on car. we have smoked it to make sure NO LEAKS anywhere to make sure they are sealed up. and since code followed original O2 we are pretty sure its the darn sensor.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
What Denso P/N are you installing ? I don't know who actually manufactures the correct original OEM ACDelco sensors that came with these cars. But obviously *they* last a long time. What is the actual fault code displayed ? Loosing the internal heating circuit (which would set a fault code) is just as bad as having the sensing element being unable to pulse its voltage up an down correctly, as it must do to prevent *it* from causing a different fault.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts

I had a bank2sens1 code and we moved the sensor to drivers side. a few days code follows ok sensor is crap.

new sensor goes in and and a few days goes by and bank1sens1 code is back. these are ALL new O2's

i have ARH full system on car. we have smoked it to make sure NO LEAKS anywhere to make sure they are sealed up. and since code followed original O2 we are pretty sure its the darn sensor.

When is the last time you changed your spark plugs? A couple of summers ago I was driving myself crazy chasing O2 sensor problems, and even replacing all four sensors and pulling and inspecting the cats didn't keep the CEL from coming on. Took a flier on a fresh set of plugs (and wires while I was at it) and almost exactly two years later I haven't had a CEL since.

·
Registered
648 Posts
FWIW, I never had issues with ACDelco sensors. I currently have Densos, and they've had sporadic issues. I have a new set of ACDelcos that will go on soon. This is for the upstream sensors of course.

I'm running NTK for downstream, but my car doesn't care about those. ;)

·
419 Posts
FWIW, I never had issues with ACDelco sensors. I currently have Densos, and they've had sporadic issues. I have a new set of ACDelcos that will go on soon. This is for the upstream sensors of course.

I'm running NTK for downstream, but my car doesn't care about those. ;)

I'm using Walker economy sensors from Rock Auto for both upstream and downstream, and the CELs ended not with the new O2 sensors but with new spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
ACDelco sensors are Denso sensors. If you keep replacing O2 sensors and keep having problems, it isn't the sensor.

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well seems the code is floating side to side. but it followed soon as we swapped the O2 and stayed even after we REPLACED that O2

they are new spark plugs also. I used NGK IRIDIUM IX Spark Plugs TR55 plugs.

what should we look at then since perhaps you dont feel its the o2's

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Gopherit asked earlier about the fault code. I didn't see a response on that so assume you missed it.

That would help immensely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I missed it. P1133. We moved o2 to driver side from pass side code followed. Replaced o2 same code showed up. Time frame Aprox 3days for code to show. I am sure would change with more driving. Seems code only shows up

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If it moved with the sensor, then the code would have been P1153. Is this also a code that presented?

·
419 Posts

Google search of your codes brought me back to here...

https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech-lounge/66327-help-please-codes-p1133-p1153.html

The consensus is that this is a side effect of your exhaust system, and the easiest thing to do is to have the codes tuned out. Now I know what to look forward to when I get around to upgrading my cats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If Tuning them out. Will they be able to read that at inspection? Other people have no problem with long tubes and hiflow cats

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I wish I could figure out why my P1133/1153 problem went away. I still haven't pinned it down. I had both codes for a while, but it resolved itself. I had a whole thread about it. (Search my name and P1133 in the keyword for threads I started)

GT Drew pointed me to Denso 234-4668, which I decided to buy (1st purchase became a sunk cost to me).

Get a switching reading. (Mode 6 diagnostic I think....) The minimum switch count is 40 per bank. I was in the 30s. Now I'm consistently above 50.

Anything else you can tell us about the mods beyond the ARH exhaust?

This may lead to nowhere, but the fact that mine went away is really bothering me because I can't figure out what caused it to disappear for sure..... I did a few things to try and remedy the situation, but not of them appeared to work at the time. Maybe it really was the 4668 sensor.....

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ I remember the troubles you had on those codes. I looked back on your past posts and found it happening in the July/August 2018 period. You were doing a lot of T/S, but it seems to read like the suggested H02's from "GT Drew" was the fix.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah, that's my hypothesis. Though, it seemed to take a while, and I did a couple other things (went back to a 187F Thermostat from the 180F), fixed what appeared to be a leak or two....

That said, I agree, the OP should try the Denso 234-4668 sensors and if it works (may take a little while to work) then we can jot it down as a potential solver of the P1133/1153 problem via better O2 sensor quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Denso 234-4668 is the O2 used.

We are getting ac delco O2’s. Before we change them we are going to monitor how many times they switch THEN swap in the acdelco O2’s and monitor them again and see if they switch more often.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only mods on car currently is a full ARH system rotofab. 25% UD Pully

New plugs, tailor wires.

DoD parts etc is still being collected.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts