Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the huge mistake of being suckered into this product by my own laziness. Hmmmm... lasts months, not days or weeks. Really? I must read more on the can about this! Heck, it's even $13.00 for an 8 oz can, so it must be good stuff.

(Yes, I know I should have seen the warning signs when I saw it was in an aerosol spray can)

The angel on my left shoulder was dressed in a white suit and was warning me, "You haven't bought a Turtle Wax product in thirty years for a reason. Don't fall for this!"

The angel on my left shoulder was dressed in Bermuda shorts and was sitting in a chase lounge wearing a huge straw hat and said to me between sips of some rumbrella drink, "Months, dude! MONTHS! What's there to think about? Whatta ya gonna do, spend half your life dressing tires? You deserve your time. Your back hurts. Chicks will dig it! Whatta ya waitin' for?"

The can says not to move the car for 2-3 hours. I was done for the night, so it will sit for about 8-10 anyway. Plenty good! I "shake can before using" and hear mixing balls. Like paint. Paint for my tires. Surely I would never actually put this on my ti... ssssssssssssst! sssssssst! ssssst!

I spray-painted my tires clear. Regardless of whatever it says it does, that is what happened.

I come out the next day and... it actually looks good. Very shiny! maybe tooooo shiny, but it'll wear, right? I drive to work. 2.5 miles. On paved roads. When I park, I look again. Looks like the clear was still wet when someone laid my tires down on a beach. Sand, dirt, and granuals of all kinds stuck to the sidewall and they do not wipe off.

I want this stuff OFF! Doesn't say how to remove. I call 1-800-turtlewax and get told that I am to use a wire type brush something like what you use for a grille.

A BBQ grille??? You want me to use a BBQ grille brush on my $1300 tires???

I did a Google search and found this, which I wish I would have seen first:

http://www.phantomss.com/product-review-turtle-wax-black-tire-shine-and-why-you-should-avoid-it/

After much trepidation, I slowly use some wire brushes. This will take forever. I whip out my soft wire wheel and put it in the cordless drill and....

It worked. Got the stuff off quick and did not ruin the sidewall. Looks fine.

I hope you learn from me. Friends don't let friends use Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat.

·
The New Guy
421 Posts
Although it's deeply upsetting you struggled with this stuff, I'm glad you could convey your sorrow in a humorous fashion!

Either way: noted. Thank you for the info.

·
The New Guy
421 Posts
I used some Turtle Wax clear coat scratch remover, and it was absolute garbage.

I can only use Nu Finish Scratch Doctor. With my PBM, using this cleans things up the best. Tried the Turtle Wax for SnG's, and was completely disappointed. Had to wash the car again to get it off.

I SOMEWHAT know what you are feeling, also. I'll probably stay away from Turtle Wax now. Sad days..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My own fault. I am usually real discerning about what I use. This was an impulse buy in a weak moment. I am going to meetings now and recovering.

·
The New Guy
421 Posts
My own fault. I am usually real discerning about what I use. This was an impulse buy in a weak moment. I am going to meetings now and recovering.
Hey, it happens. Keep us posted on your recovery.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
so essentially it's a $15 can of clear coat?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
haha, nice story. the one guy I work with just told me about this a few days back at work. he has a 2005 mustang gt that he applied it to. i'll have to remember to ask him how it's holding up.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
We carry this stuff at work, I'll make sure to let everyone of my customers know how bad this stuff is and to stay away from it. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
just use meguiars nxt, never had them fade a tire and last pretty good

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha, nice story. the one guy I work with just told me about this a few days back at work. he has a 2005 mustang gt that he applied it to. i'll have to remember to ask him how it's holding up.
He may like it. I have yet to take it off my front tires, but I really don't like the look at all even without debris. I tis literally a clear coat on the tires and the edges where the road wears it out is flaky... like skin peeling after a sunburn.

Almost looks like a shiny hard shell on the tires. I should take pics.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
The only thing I used to use from Turtle wax was there interior ICE cleaner. Works pretty good, but I have switched my entire cleaning to Poorboys World. I'd recommend there Bold N Bright tire cleaner, but I know this forum is pretty much adam's>all so I'm sure they got something that will work much better :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
Zodiac
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing