Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rated for 100x4 and 500x1 on sub channel...at 14.4v it gets quite a bit more. And this amp is TINY, but hefty, it's about 10" square...

Check out those tested power ratings...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pretty small, price is a little up there though. I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to run dual amps or one of these. I'm running a single mono as is but id love to do the speakers properly.

I couldn't find it but maybe you know, does it have a speaker level input like most of the alpine amps? I'm trying to avoid spending more on something like an LC2i lol

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also touched up my door install today. The large hole in the first pic was previously covered by a bedliner material coated plastic sheet, but it had a resonance/flutter issue.

Wire mesh (hobby lobby) sandwiched between two layers of GTMat, and formed to the opening so the door trim storage pockets can recess into the door properly. The screen made the assembly nice and stiff, my midbass response should improve a bit.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty small, price is a little up there though. I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to run dual amps or one of these. I'm running a single mono as is but id love to do the speakers properly.

I couldn't find it but maybe you know, does it have a speaker level input like most of the alpine amps? I'm trying to avoid spending more on something like an LC2i lol

I bought local and spent $100 more than I could have, but you can get them cheap on amazon...

No, it does not have speaker level inputs. I have a rockford sound processor that accepts my OEM head unit speaker level inputs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Picked one up last year when they were released. Mounted it using one of the OEM sub amp bolt holes and a custom bracket.

Attachments

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, I like that. I might just have to rewire and move mine over there.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I could find one of these for less than 400 I'd jump at it. What sub are you pushing?
I am running an Infinity Kappa 120.09 12". It's relatively a SQ sub, but it can get fairly loud with 500w behind it, and with 17mm one way excursion, it plays low. I gave up boom and have been pursuing SQ, hence the digital signal processor and hours of tuning and sound deadening. SQ does not mean low bass though, rather, it's balanced bass. My ears just about orgasmed when I heard an SQ car, then I immediately started plans to get my car sounding awesome like what I heard.

Fantastic sound though now!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am running an Infinity Kappa 120.09 12". It's relatively a SQ sub, but it can get fairly loud with 500w behind it, and with 17mm one way excursion, it plays low. I gave up boom and have been pursuing SQ, hence the digital signal processor and hours of tuning and sound deadening. SQ does not mean low bass though, rather, it's balanced bass. My ears just about orgasmed when I heard an SQ car, then I immediately started plans to get my car sounding awesome like what I heard.

Fantastic sound though now!
What do you mean by SQ? I'm enthralled. I'm trying to make my car capable of handling all levels of bass but not make it a block shaker. I'm thinking one of these 5 channels with a JL 12w3v3.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean by SQ? I'm enthralled. I'm trying to make my car capable of handling all levels of bass but not make it a block shaker. I'm thinking one of these 5 channels with a JL 12w3v3.

Sound Quality. You will be amazed by what you can accomplish with decent parts set up correctly. And SQ can have plenty of bass, but so detailed and articulate, it makes the "boom" systems sound like mud compared to quartz crystal.

Amazon has these amps for a super price....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sound Quality. You will be amazed by what you can accomplish with decent parts set up correctly. And SQ can have plenty of bass, but so detailed and articulate, it makes the "boom" systems sound like mud compared to quartz crystal.

Amazon has these amps for a super price....
That's what I'm shooting for. I'm installing db651s's this evening, will dynamat later. How does the Rockford processor work?

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I'm shooting for. I'm installing db651s's this evening, will dynamat later. How does the Rockford processor work?

It can do a TON. Quite daunting at first, and you need a laptop to do the setup and tuning. But incredible results after a couple of weeks of learning what it does and how to do it...it can be addicting and maddening, if you get one, you will be spending an hour (or two) several times a week tuning and listening.

OEM Integration - you can input the oem speaker wires to the unit, and get clean, balanced, RCA outs to your amps easily. The unit only needs TWO channels of input (such as left and right front), and can create all of the others needed from those, up to 8 channels total. The factory head unit works quite well with this unit.

Time Alignment - you can delay each channel, so that you can make all of the sound waves arrive to a point in your car, so that you can create a virtual "stage", where vocals are centered on the dash, and stereo sounds pan from left to right as needed by the musical instruments. You can "steer" the phantom center image to where you want it.

31 band parametric EQ - frequency band adjustment so you can level match left to right, so that all sounds from low to high are centered properly. You can also adjust each band's width, or "Q"

Phase Inversion - used to help get your mids and sub "in phase" with each other, so that midbass is more pronounced/defined, and the subwoofer to integrate into the sound stage so it does not sound like it's behiond you. Google "upfront bass".

Multi-crossover alignments - 4different crossover types, as well as the "slope" or steepness from the set crossover point.

If you can, find a local car audio place that knows of a well set up "SQ" car. Listen to it. Be amazed hahaha. I would definitely do the dynamat FIRST, before you go into more parts. Install quality is HUGE, especially for your front door speakers, and all the gadgets will just frustrate you if you do not have a solid base to work off of.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's the amp I'm looking at. How do you like it so far? A local store, Abt, has it for about $550. That's about $120 more than Amazon but there's no issue with warranty if I go through Abt. Which RF processor do you have? I've got an MTX Re-Q5 but it doesn't do any of that. Just bass correction.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the amp I'm looking at. How do you like it so far? A local store, Abt, has it for about $550. That's about $120 more than Amazon but there's no issue with warranty if I go through Abt. Which RF processor do you have? I've got an MTX Re-Q5 but it doesn't do any of that. Just bass correction.

I ditched the REQ5 for the Rockford 3sixty.3

Still using my cheap Crunch amps, hoping to get the Alpine installed tomorrow...we'll see, I have a night out with two of my best friends fixing to occur :burnout: might be a bit of recovery hahaha.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Could you safely run a pair of 8 inch subwoofers in the rear deck with the one sub Channel on this amp?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could you safely run a pair of 8 inch subwoofers in the rear deck with the one sub Channel on this amp?

Sure you could. It's a bit over rated for a pair of infinite baffle 8", but just watch the volume/gain level and you will be fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts

The amp is rated for 2-4 Ohms. So long as you wire the subs properly to be in that range you'd have no problems asside from rattling the package shelf. The sub gain is completely separate from the other channels so you can adjust it up and down as needed.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, so new subs would need to add up to 4 ohms.

2 or 4 ohms, the amp will deliver it's rated power into either load, very spiffy.

Two 8 ohm in parallel = 4 ohms
Two 4 ohm in parallel = 2 ohms

If you use dual voice coil drivers then you would need to figure that out, but, I bet you are looking at single voice coil models?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Two 8 ohm in parallel = 4 ohms
Two 4 ohm in parallel = 2 ohms
Parallel =
+ of amp -> + of speaker 1 and + of speaker 2
- of amp -> - of speaker 1 and - of speaker 2

Series =
+ of amp -> + of speaker 1
- of speaker 1 -> + of speaker 2
- of speaker 2 -> - of amp