Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, the A/C compressor on the V8 G8s is a weird one. It is variable output, PWM controlled, and does not have a traditional clutch. What does that mean? Big $$$$ when you need to replace it. However, as I sit in my G8 with plenty of time on my hands waiting for a tow truck (looking at you, starter) 8 noticed that there are some lower cost options on Rock Auto for $285 and $350. New Delco comes in at $426 and I think might be had a hair cheaper on Amazon.

Just an FYI. If this is old news disregard.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Don't recall ever seeing air conditioner compressors for the G8 GT as inexpensive as $285 on Rock Auto, but nice to know there are presumably viable options to the AcDelco units. By the way, always search for a 5% off discount code prior to completing purchases on the website as a penny saved is always a penny earned.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I guess I should've searched for coupons... I forgot...

I noticed that the price of the condenser has also doubled since the last time I had to buy one to replace it due to the power steering failure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Keep in mind that the A/C DELCO compressor comes with a 2 year/unlimited mile warranty,this would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Plus, it's probably a once every 10 year expense.... $3.58 per month prorated... :D :D

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I got an AC Delco. The Warranty is dicey, read the small print, is wrote in such a way that they can decline the exchange if they want to be a dick about it.

I replaced mine and is not a hard thing to do. Bought the AC Delco that is a japanese Denso product. What was odd, Rock Auto did not asked for the core, so it was full price for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts