Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put an aftermarket amp on the factory 8's? If so, how did it sound?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Much better.

EDIT: Well, as much as paper speakers rated for 25w RMS can handle.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
oof, I meant, much better when replacing factory paper "oem quality" subs rated for 25w each.

Fosgate Punch P2 8" woofers do the trick in the rear deck, along with a $hitload of dynamat. I also have enhanced the "pump" by utilizing a Fosgate P400-4 amp to the channels.

What kind of music do you listen to; and what are you looking to get out of it.

With the g8, you have the platform to build it out however you see fit, and whatever fits your budget, depending on what you need.

Give us some background here. What's your budget? What are you looking to get out of it?

Help us, help you.

:D

·
2009.1 Liquid Red G8 GT
352 Posts
More info, please. :) How difficult is the install?

I miss my '00 Grand Prix that seemed to have just the right amount of bass.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have a punch 300 running a jbl gto8 in a ported box and it sounds good. I just hate having a speaker box in the trunk.

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
... Subscribing!!!

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
If you run an amplifier that has a subsonic filter, you will get a nice improvement. The stock amplifier is gutless for any real power. I had 200w to the oem subs with proper cross over settings and they were amazingly better than with the stock amp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I listen to rock and rap/ r n b alot- alot of eminem..what amp/ sub setup would improve sound quality for this type of music? Pretty new to the stero/ sub upgrade world.

·
Registered
737 Posts
a-lot of guys get a single 12 or even a single 10 will work... JBL is AWESOME i have a JL with a 350 w rockford amp and its perfect! i like my bass but i like to hear my music.

·
Registered
737 Posts
yea, if u want. u can save like 10lb taking them out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i had an amp and 10' sub installed, with the stock subs disconnected.2 things that bothered me was it made the rear panel to the trunk unusable and there was just too much bass even on the lowest settings, removed the sub, reattached the stock subs to the amp and all is well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also a word of caution, my setup has the amp running the door speakers and two rear deck as well. The front tweeters and center speaker are off the stock amp. Meaning if you turn up the stock amp those speakers will become distorted. I scratched my head on this one until i realized they were still running off the stock amp and not the aftermarket one i had put in.

To be fair the guy who swapped out my speakers and put in the amp had to deal with the fact he had never worked on a G8 before so it was a learning experience for him as well.

·
Plastidip is awful
361 Posts
Which amp and brand would Be good for the stock speakers?
If you only want a better amp for the stock subs and nothing else: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-188

Yes, it's a reputable brand, even though most people don't know them.

You could use a 4+ channel amp to amplify both the front speakers and the subs though that'll be much more work as far as wiring stuff up goes. Worth it, in my opinion, though.

Send me a privmsg if you want an adapter to hook up to the stock amp connector so you can hook up an amp without cutting any stock wires...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I finally removed my sealed pioneer flat 12 and put the fosgate amp on the factory 8's. It does sound pretty decent. This at least made me want to replace the factory 8's with aftermarket free airs so I can keep my trunk space. I figured I would update since I started the thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts