Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new here and to GM's in general. I was brought up on Fords, and although i lean that way I have a love for all Domestic cars. I currently have a 2012 F150 STX 5.0 4X4, 2013 Mustang GT, and the wifes car is a 2012 V6 TF3 Camaro. Well just found out we are expecting another little one so the toys have to go for something more practical.

We are looking to trade in her Camaro and my Mustang for a new Terrain or Equinox. So if any of you guys that might have one of those could give me a review on what you think that would be great!

I had originaly thought about trading the F150 in on the new Chevy SS, but i just cant catch on to the looks, and for the money i just cant justify it.

I have always loved the G8's since they were introduced. So iv decided that a G8 will be my next car! I can still have the V8 rear drive car with 4 doors, best of both worlds:turbonaughtdy_1:. Iv been keeping my eye out for a nice GXP, but those seem a little hard to find that arent either 60K mile + or over $35. So unless one just magicly appears, im probably going to go with a GT.

I have been looking around and most of the ones for sale that are with in 400 miles are all Red, Black, White, or have 65K miles+. Nothing wrong with any of those colors (My Mustang is Race Red) id just really like to find a Blue or charcol. I have found a nice Stryker Blue thats not to far from me for a decent price a little more miles then i would like but not to bad. it has 45K miles on it, and the seats seem a little worn, but other then that its super clean and all stock. Would have have anything that i need to watch out for with one with that kind of milage?

This will be my first venture into anything that isnt a Ford V8 performance wise, so i will be completley lost and be looking at you guys for help. I dont know the first thing about these pushrod engines, and thats exciteing for me, as now i get to learn something new! So i hope no one mids me picking there brain even for very simple things. Thanks in advanc guys! :biggrin2:

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Hey guys im new here and to GM's in general. I was brought up on Fords, and although i lean that way I have a love for all Domestic cars. I currently have a 2012 F150 STX 5.0 4X4, 2013 Mustang GT, and the wifes car is a 2012 V6 TF3 Camaro. Well just found out we are expecting another little one so the toys have to go for something more practical.

We are looking to trade in her Camaro and my Mustang for a new Terrain or Equinox. So if any of you guys that might have one of those could give me a review on what you think that would be great!

I had originaly thought about trading the F150 in on the new Chevy SS, but i just cant catch on to the looks, and for the money i just cant justify it.

I have always loved the G8's since they were introduced. So iv decided that a G8 will be my next car! I can still have the V8 rear drive car with 4 doors, best of both worlds:turbonaughtdy_1:. Iv been keeping my eye out for a nice GXP, but those seem a little hard to find that arent either 60K mile + or over $35. So unless one just magicly appears, im probably going to go with a GT.

I have been looking around and most of the ones for sale that are with in 400 miles are all Red, Black, White, or have 65K miles+. Nothing wrong with any of those colors (My Mustang is Race Red) id just really like to find a Blue or charcol. I have found a nice Stryker Blue thats not to far from me for a decent price a little more miles then i would like but not to bad. it has 45K miles on it, and the seats seem a little worn, but other then that its super clean and all stock. Would have have anything that i need to watch out for with one with that kind of milage?

This will be my first venture into anything that isnt a Ford V8 performance wise, so i will be completley lost and be looking at you guys for help. I dont know the first thing about these pushrod engines, and thats exciteing for me, as now i get to learn something new! So i hope no one mids me picking there brain even for very simple things. Thanks in advanc guys! :biggrin2:
Good luck in your search I actually did the opposite lol, G8 GT to the 2013 Mustang 5.0. The G8 is an awesome car and for the most part you won't regret it. It's not as strong out the box as the 5.0 but can be easily with some mods. The LS series engines are strong and stout.

A couple things you should keep an eye out are:

1) Lower control arms- The LCA's on the G8 are prone to become crap quite quickly, if you search the forums you will see the easy ways to diagnose them.
2) Lifter tick- lifter tick which could be your lifters failing and basically destroy you car (AFM sucks anyways) so you might want to look for a Displacement on Demand delete with aftermarket cam.

Surprisingly compared to a 5.0, headers on the G8 is a HUGE improvement as well as the tune and CAI, I highly recommend them and quickly.

Keep an eye out here on the forums for some great price and modded G8's that might fit your budget and your mod plans.

The l76 and trans is a stout combo and has been proven to last at least 286k miles in these cars.

Best of luck!

Also I previously rented a GMC terrain 4cyl and it was okay, wasn't sold on it. I may suggest looking at a Mazda CX-5, great driving and amazing fuel economy. We test drove them when my wife was looking for a new fuel efficient vehicle, we ended up with the new Mazda 6. Again best of luck and there is tons of help to be found here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
5.0 guy, i can help on two fronts. first, the Terrain/Equinox is in need of a major update. I just leased a '13 LTZ Equinox AWD fully loaded for $279/mo 39 mos ZERO out of pocket.. That's the only reason i did that.. It's just "old"... but for $279/mo you can't beat it lol...

Secondly, I rebuilt the majority of my G8's suspension and powertrain with all high quality (either OEM or aftermarket upgrades) and have to say that it rides, drives and looks like it has 30k miles on it not 111k... Don't be afraid of a higher mileage well cared for G8, they age well, even ones not cared for (as long as they haven't been cracked up).

If you're in the market towards the end of the year i may sell mine, car is done right. look up the thread (resurrection of #219). Great car but i'm gonna be in the hunt for nice Pickup, preferably a Sierra Denali or All Terrain 6.2

PS congrats on the new addition in the hopper lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks guys! I'm very nervous about stepping out of Mustangs and into a GM V8. I'm hoping the G8 will make a nice DD. the more I research the more I'm considering holding out for a lower mileage GXP with the LS3 lol.

As for the equinox the wife is pretty set on it. Iv tried talking her into a new explorer, but she is a cheapo and wants the equinox lol

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Also alot easier working on the G8, did headers on a Mustang this weekend and total bitch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the crib midget!!

First.. My Wife is also set on getting the Equinox as well. We drove one while I was having my lifters replaced under warranty(Speaking of which, make sure that if you get a GT that has NOT had them replaced, you have cam/DOD delete plans and/or warranty left) and she LOVED it..

It is what it's meant to be.. I middle ground, crossover.. Make sure you get the 3.6 for the extra hp's and the factory dual exhaust. Adds a bit more to the rear appearance wise. The rear seats are 60/40 if I remember correctly and both sides have a tilt option to lean the seat backs, back a bit AND.. have about 6" or so of actual seat travel forward and back. I have 2 Recaro baby seats in my G8, and it gets a little cramped leg wise for me, BUT... The Equinox's seat sliding abilities made this a non-issue!

It's no Denali, and I do agree the new Explorers are pretty sweet. LOL! But for the price, you can't beat it. Chevy's new Mylink touch screen radio, the option for dual dvd players in the seat backs, back up camera and the list goes on.

As for the G8... I LOVE mine!! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't get a compliment.. Most think she's a BMW and I've even had a guy ask if the going rate was in the $40k range. LOL! Aftermarket is endless and much like the others have said.. GM's LS series motors open up with mileage and more so by opening up the restrictive exhaust, adding an intake and dyno tune. Their torquey...

Good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can find a GXP for the low 30,000's with under 30,000 miles. Just be patient and keep checking the ads. It may be a little more difficult to find the colors you are looking for but sooner or later one will come up. Be prepared to travel to get it once you see an ad, it may sell quickly so be ready to call and put down a deposit.

If you buy a Certified Pre-Owned one from a GM dealer it will come with a 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty at ant GM dealer plus free maintenance. Plus you get the balance of the 5 year 100,000 drivetrain warranty.

Make sure you get a CarFax and have the vehicle inspected before you seal the deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome and congrats on the crib midget!!

First.. My Wife is also set on getting the Equinox as well. We drove one while I was having my lifters replaced under warranty(Speaking of which, make sure that if you get a GT that has NOT had them replaced, you have cam/DOD delete plans and/or warranty left) and she LOVED it..

It is what it's meant to be.. I middle ground, crossover.. Make sure you get the 3.6 for the extra hp's and the factory dual exhaust. Adds a bit more to the rear appearance wise. The rear seats are 60/40 if I remember correctly and both sides have a tilt option to lean the seat backs, back a bit AND.. have about 6" or so of actual seat travel forward and back. I have 2 Recaro baby seats in my G8, and it gets a little cramped leg wise for me, BUT... The Equinox's seat sliding abilities made this a non-issue!

It's no Denali, and I do agree the new Explorers are pretty sweet. LOL! But for the price, you can't beat it. Chevy's new Mylink touch screen radio, the option for dual dvd players in the seat backs, back up camera and the list goes on.

As for the G8... I LOVE mine!! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't get a compliment.. Most think she's a BMW and I've even had a guy ask if the going rate was in the $40k range. LOL! Aftermarket is endless and much like the others have said.. GM's LS series motors open up with mileage and more so by opening up the restrictive exhaust, adding an intake and dyno tune. Their torquey...

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Im not really looking to do a cam swap anytime soon when i get one. I will go with a full exhaust and a tune, thats probably about it though.

She wants the 4cyl because its cheaper lol. MyLink, and backup camara are a must for her though. She said if shes getting rid of her camaro shes os at least going to have the upgraded radio and backup camra lol

You can find a GXP for the low 30,000's with under 30,000 miles. Just be patient and keep checking the ads. It may be a little more difficult to find the colors you are looking for but sooner or later one will come up. Be prepared to travel to get it once you see an ad, it may sell quickly so be ready to call and put down a deposit.

If you buy a Certified Pre-Owned one from a GM dealer it will come with a 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty at ant GM dealer plus free maintenance. Plus you get the balance of the 5 year 100,000 drivetrain warranty.

Make sure you get a CarFax and have the vehicle inspected before you seal the deal.
I found a red GXP auto about an hour and a half from me 35K miles for $30K. Private seller so i have to get mine sold before i could buy it. Was hoping to find one at a dealer so I could just trade out lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Im not really looking to do a cam swap anytime soon when i get one. I will go with a full exhaust and a tune, thats probably about it though.

She wants the 4cyl because its cheaper lol. MyLink, and backup camara are a must for her though. She said if shes getting rid of her camaro shes os at least going to have the upgraded radio and backup camra lol

I found a red GXP auto about an hour and a half from me 35K miles for $30K. Private seller so i have to get mine sold before i could buy it. Was hoping to find one at a dealer so I could just trade out lol
No way! Don't purchase at a dealer. They mark the prices up on these real high at at least 34-35k minimum and then give you bottom dollar on your trade in. After all said and done you will be upside down 10k. You are better by just taking your car to Carmax and letting them buy it for what the dealer would give you for it and them buy the gxp for 30k that way u only lose on one side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Selling 09 G8 GT with 38K miles

Go to Auto Trader and look for 2009 G8 GT with 37,200 miles for $24,995 with the Fire Bird Phoenix on the hood. Has been power upgraded to 454 hp !!! One owner. Call the # if you have any Q's.
Have someone looking at it from NY in 10 days.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The new equinox seems nice. As for the g8 I don't drive mine in bad roads during n.y. winters try to keep salt situation to a minimum but from what others say . Go blizzaks and you won't even need a winter ride. Unless your trying to get and keep a garage queen. These cars are great in the winter with the right tires.
If I remember correctly the blue g8's where the fewest in terms of car color out of all the colors. I'm sure there are a few limited colors. Maybe orange is the fewest made. There is a thread on that,someone posted the quantity of each color manufactured. That being said ,if you want a specific color ,you might have to wait to find it. Mine is 59k and have had it a little more then a year. So far so happy. I've just had a oil pan seal leak and I hear its kinda common. Its covered under the 100k warranty ,so no big deal.
Well welcome and good luck on finding a g8. Congrats on the new addition.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Here goes a good price on a GT. http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/3825214335.html

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Hey 5.0 guy ,what's your location. There is a Stryker blue up for sale by a fellow member in Texas. Its got some mods.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Hey 5.0 guy im the one that has the Stryker Blue G8 for sale. It has a magnacharger and other mods. Im asking $30 but trust me make an offer on it as im looking to make a quick sale.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey I participate that, but I'm really looking for a stock one.

Iv come across a white 09 no sunroof or sport package. Has leather with 25K miles for $25K. Seem like a fair price?

·
Registered
133 Posts
You should be able to bring them down a bit on that. My 09 GT came with the sport package, and heated seats. No sunroof.. I got her with the GM maintenance plan for about $24k.

Oh, it may cost a little more for the 6cyl Equinox but I've heard they've had issues with the 4's. That and you get the 6spd auto to help with fuel economy. If I can get 24mpg highway in my G8 GT, then you should be good with the 6cyl. Lol

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Lots of variables to determine its true value,I'm sure you know. I wanna say 23 thousand. That's if she's in good condition with maybe the front bumper paint chip situation we have as a exception. Recalls done and no lifter tick issue and so on. No accidents. Tires, breaks ,rotors are good. Lcas are good and so on and so on. A link or pics always helps us help you.
There's a member here who just traded his in at the dealership I work at. Just about the same options and mileage as the one your looking at. No roof and no sport package. His is selling for 26 or best offer. Its mint and has factory and aftermarket rims with tires,demodded. Think they might get 24 or so for it. Don't think I should mention what they gave him but I do know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts