Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
steve,

I love that you guys have done this, however while i love the sound it seems to be a bit louder than my neighborhood can tolerate. Can anything be done to keep this system functionally intact while Quieting it down? I understand that adding back some sound reduction would take down the potential power gain but since any sound deadening would be in the cat back portion i suspect that power loss would be less than 10 hp.
Now that i said that i'll wait and see how long it takes before Virus calls me a Mary Alice.
What say you Steve?

Spider

·
Registered
105 Posts
CntryClub, you sir are a gentlemen and a scholar. If you could tag along with your infinite wisdom I would owe your indefinitely. Or at least a brewski....
Are you available after April 10th? That seems to be when they are available....

JSG - Your existing kit(axleback) is basically the last 3/4 of the overall exhaust, which I think you know. Just call Jeff and tell him I sent you lol...He will make sure everything turns out perfect, I can even tag along on the trip for a good time.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
steve,

I love that you guys have done this, however while i love the sound it seems to be a bit louder than my neighborhood can tolerate. Can anything be done to keep this system functionally intact while Quieting it down? I understand that adding back some sound reduction would take down the potential power gain but since any sound deadening would be in the cat back portion i suspect that power loss would be less than 10 hp.
Now that i said that i'll wait and see how long it takes before Virus calls me a Mary Alice.
What say you Steve?

Spider
No Mary Alice from me. I'm her sister :D

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
steve,

What say you Steve?

Spider
You could go with the V2 with J cat back section and it will be quieter. Usually, with headers, it is hard to quiet it down. You are running an open exhaust.

·
Registered
457 Posts
So you don't have the Mary Alice special with J's in stock then? LOL

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
TWO Quotes here... to keep them seperate.

No I want to keep the Js, which is my current axle-back (unless I'm missing something here).

Pretty much i just want the Mach with the HF Cats... And as far as the custom fabrication I would go to Solo, which would save me some money on shipping too. Not to mention it would be getting it done right...

So do my current J's not connect to this kit properly? If so, that would be a bummer.

Hmmm... so let me get this straight: You have headers (open exhaust) and stock midpipes, and the SOLO Axelbacks that have the J's currently.

And you want to take off your axelbacks, perhaps your midpipe too, and go with a mach, HF cats, as a CATBACK?

<FYI - you should populate a signature so we know exactly what you have!>

You cannot "keep the axelbacks" and go with a catback. The catback is made differently and doesn't have the stock-like "flanges" that you bolted up your axelback setup to. It does have J's towards the rear of the car similarly to how the axelbacks do, but if you take off your J's and "transfer them to your new catback" ... if it's even possible ... you're wasting your investment in the axelback that you already have into it.

If it were me, and I realized that I mistakenly bought the axelbacks+J's but I wanted something more, I'd look into selling the Axelback kit locally, complete (with J's) and then use that money and some more of your own to purchase the complete catback system (optionally with cats) of your choice. That way, the investment you have into your axelbacks is not wasted (someone else would be enjoying them, drone free, on their car) and you could get the exact full catback setup that you desire

steve,

What say you Steve?

Spider
Spider,

Once again, where's that sig where we can figure out what you actually have currently on your car?

Since you posted on the "Catted bolt-on midpipe for Kooks LT headers" thread... why not go back to stock manifolds and re-evaluate the "noise reduction" that it is expected to give, in concert with your (?) mach catback system? Do you have a mach balanced, v2+J (the relative quietest of the 5 current catback offerings), and do you have the solo high flow cats?

You'd have to work out the details with Steve/Jeff, but you could consider doing what Virus did a while back and planning a road trip to the Buffalo store to get your system inline-converted from whatever you have now to a v2+j for the price that you and Jeff/Steve agree to... that would quiet it down a bit.

I'd recommend dumping the headers first though and going back to stock manifolds if you're concerned about noise. Headers and quiet do not mix.

--zepcom

·
Now it's a Party
2,089 Posts
OK, so the only catbacks this combo (Kooks LTHs & Solo Catted Midpipe) will bolt to are the catbacks from Solo...is that correct?

Meaning, many of us have Borla, Corsa, and Magnaflow catbacks: will this "combination" bolt directly to them without modification???

Thx.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Randy that's right, they only work with the Solo catback.

·
Registered
457 Posts
zepcom,

As far as exhaust i am stock, i was asking questions to get a clear idea of what final solution i would like to have. Just doing the research ahead of time. I cannot afford to buy any performance part and not be happy and have to do it over again, so i ask lots of questions and that usually serves me quite well. I have listened to and driven in virus's car both before and after j's and hfc's, i asked the question above before listening to virus's after the j's hfcs. It wasn't as loud as i expected based on his discription. A g8 with kooks with highflow cats (not solo's) xpipe and gxp axlebacks, someones' gxp with spintechs, etc.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
zepcom,

As far as exhaust i am stock, i was asking questions to get a clear idea of what final solution i would like to have. Just doing the research ahead of time. I cannot afford to buy any performance part and not be happy and have to do it over again, so i ask lots of questions and that usually serves me quite well. I have listened to and driven in virus's car both before and after j's and hfc's, i asked the question above before listening to virus's after the j's hfcs. It wasn't as loud as i expected based on his discription. A g8 with kooks with highflow cats (not solo's) xpipe and gxp axlebacks, someones' gxp with spintechs, etc.
Under promise and over deliver is just good customer service :wink2:

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
zepcom,

I hear ya Spider ... wasn't trying to be mean or whatnot, so sorry if it came across that way. Everyone's impression of "loudness" is unique, and with all the different 'functions' that G8's can have (daily driver verses weekend 1/4 track racer) there are differences of opinion as to what is acceptable.

I met up with a user who wanted an exhaust but has never heard anything really (new to the forums too, so I gave him a break) and we stood behind his 100% stock GT and did remote start. Then we moved to behind my car and I repeated the test. I don't think he said anything for a few minutes. Then I unlocked the doors, key in, and revved mine a little bit. Now he had plenty to say, he started asking all sorts of questions and such.

Then I took him for a test drive. He couldn't stop saying how different and more muscle'ier the car sounded as compared to his.

Needless to say, he's getting a new system soon.

I think that an exhaust upgrade is one of the best things for these cars. They add a dose of testosterone that these cars were missing from the factory. :driving:

·
Registered
457 Posts
i know what you mean, i do like the muscular sound that the solo gives, however on the otherside, i love the stealth factor these cars have. Most people don't have any idea how fast these cars are and it's really cool to see the suprise on peoples faces when you pull around them at wot. Hence my desire to have a stock quiet during normal driving and loud enough at WOT to say F U. LOL

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'd say any of these systems sound pretty mild under normal driving conditions. Plenty stealth like with exception to those with headers and cats maybe. Even then they aren't terribly loud until you get on it. Unless you put a cam in it, driving normally should still be relatively quiet.

Tough to have a car super quiet, and then explode on WOT (at least explode by my definition). I'd suggest an intake and Solo/Corsa Catback if you want the car to be pretty quiet normally and louder at WOT. As soon as you mess with the headers or cats, the tone will change much more.

You could also go with the Solo Axlebacks and deactivate AFM (AFM is anything but stock quiet on this system) and an intake.

Intake alone makes some good noise. Won't change the sound of your car at all until you get on it and it is very noticeable from the interior and exterior. Gets some good power too!

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Tough to have a car super quiet, and then explode on WOT (at least explode by my definition).
That's true, but the new Dynomax muffler with a spring loaded flapper valve will accomplish that. It's due out at the end of the month, and it should eliminate drone since it will be quiet when cruising but roar at WOT.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Why are you planning on going off-roading in your G8? lol

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Will SOLO make an off road mid-pipe also?
We can make the midpipe with no cats, but that is a special order item. Please call Jeff at 905-703-1557 for a catless midpipe.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That's true, but the new Dynomax muffler with a spring loaded flapper valve will accomplish that. It's due out at the end of the month, and it should eliminate drone since it will be quiet when cruising but roar at WOT.
I saw that...pretty cool idea. My father said his 2010 M6 Camaro has something similar in it that opens up when you exceed about 4000RPM. Not sure if there is any truth in that but I think that is what he was told. Regardless, that car sounds awesome. I'll have to go for another drive in it when he pulls it out to compare to mine now. Haven't heard his baby roar since September!

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
We gonna hear it ROAR at NYIRP? haha...

Update on my setup, still going strong, still love it. Solo is the best. Showed a few other people my kit the other day, absolutely fell in love with it. Only heard great comments from it.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
21 Participants
GOINGSOLO2
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing