Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure why cell phone manufacturers and their OS vendors think that if you buy a new phone, you then need to buy a new car so you can use the BT with it.

Nokia Lumia 920, WP8. You just don't think you need to research if it will work with your car, nor are there any real databases to let you know.

It pairs, then won't stay connected. Yes, I've deleted from the car and phone an re-paired several times. No joy.

But it works fine in my 2011 Yukon, my daughter's 2012 Tiguan, and the 5 rental cars I've had in the last month (Nissan Altima, Mazda 3, Toyota Avalon, etc.)

Phone BT specs:
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 3.0
Bluetooth profiles: Object Push profile (OPP) 1.1, Hands-free profile (HFP) 1.5, Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.2, Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) 1.4, Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) 1.1

Besides waiting for MS to give an update for backward compatibility, what's the best solution AT THIS MOMENT for a BT replacement for our cars? I simply cannot do without it. And I'd be willing to give up OnStar as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As someone with an 08 I picked up this guy: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XMV05G/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I ran all the cables behind the head unit (popping off the faceplate) and tucked the device into the cubby spot below it. You can barely tell its there. So far after using it for a month I like it better then my former VIM setup. Probably not as good call quality as you would get with the stock mic set up, but for the price it cant be beat.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
As someone with an 08 I picked up this guy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XMV05G/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ran all the cables behind the head unit (popping off the faceplate) and tucked the device into the cubby spot below it. You can barely tell its there. So far after using it for a month I like it better then my former VIM setup. Probably not as good call quality as you would get with the stock mic set up, but for the price it cant be beat.
So thats a whole BT setup not just a plug in mic? How does it work cause for that price holy damn you can not go wrong! I've been looking for an inexpensive way to get rid of that stupid Onstar modual and still be able to keep BT in my 09.5 car. Any more info on it you can share Viperguy?

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
"BigZub">>> A check on the current GM compatible bluetooth phones (that I can find so far), they say your Nokia 920 *would* work as long as your carrier is AT&T. If you are
rigged up with another carrier, maybe that's why (maybe not). I'm not good at this. I don't even own a cellphone (stone-age type of guy). But if it works correctly on your Yukon (GM), it doesn't really make sense.

·
Registered
216 Posts
"BigZub">>> A check on the current GM compatible bluetooth phones (that I can find so far), they say your Nokia 920 *would* work as long as your carrier is AT&T. If you are
rigged up with another carrier, maybe that's why (maybe not). I'm not good at this. I don't even own a cellphone (stone-age type of guy). But if it works correctly on your Yukon (GM), it doesn't really make sense.
As someone who works with mobile devices daily, this should not matter at all lol. Sim card/network have nothing to do with it. BT 3.0 should be able to cover most ground on any device, just not as efficient or those other little capabilities.

Ask for a demo of said unit and you shall receive: