Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously had an AFM lifter die and wipe out a cam lobe which lead to the dreaded metal-on-metal chirping that some of us here are familiar with.

They replaced the cam and all lifters. At the time I remember that the repair invoice had the updated part number for the AFM lifters indicating that they were the new design.

Are there any instances of failed AFM lifters with the new design? The reason I ask is that for the last few days when I start my car to come home from work I've noticed a short duration lifter tick that is rather pronounced. That is the exact situation that preceded my dead lifter and ruined cam.

Has anybody had a repeat lifter failure with the new design of the AFM lifters?

Thanks...Scott

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Have not heard of any new lifters going. Nor on the Camaro forums either.
Did the dealer replace all 16 lifters. Could be a loose rocker arm or rocker bearing failing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have had the new AFM lifters in my car for about 40k miles now, and not a single tick since. It's all coming apart again in another week or so when my tuner does a DOD delete/cam swap. I will ask him to take a look at the old cam and lifters for any signs of wear, but I don't think there will be any.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope the updated lifters are better. After 9 months of dealing with the lifter tick and the dealership not hearing them tick. The dealership finally heard the supposedly elusive tick and will be replacin them on monday along with the windshield that is pulling away at the top. I asked them to check out the cam but hardly trust they know what to look for or are just too lazy to look into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.