Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine is being replaced in my G8 under warranty next week due to severe piston slap and I was wondering what kind of break in period/process is recommended? I will ask the tech what he thinks when I pick it up, but was curious what you guys think.
A little background info. I brought it to my dealer a while back to have them check out the occasional lifter tick on cold start. They heard the lifter tick and the tech also heard some mild piston slap that I would get sometimes in cold temps. He said they were gonna replace the pistons and rings while doing the lifters. So I get the car back and all seems good. Being the middle of winter in Wisconsin I would always remote start for 10-15 min before leaving. The first time I drove it without warming it up I wasn't real happy. The piston slap was WAY worse than it ever was before. I was afraid to take it over 1500 rpm until it quieted down. Once up to temp it sounded fine. So I finally got it back in to the dealer and after discussing it with the service manager and tech they got the district rep to stop by and listen to it and authorize the replacement. At first the rep offered to give me a 4yr 60k extension on my powertrain warranty for peace of mind, but I respectfully told them I would prefer an engine that didn't knock and they didn't push it any more. They were very professional and curtious through the whole thing. Picked the car up today and will drop it back off next week once the engine arrives. Props to my dealer and GM for their outstanding customer service.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
You'll probably get all sorts of different opinions on this one. The manuals say to do lots of varied speeds & varied RPM driving, avoid long highway cruised where the RPM is staying in one place for extended periods. I believe the owners manuals used to say to do this style of driving for about 500 km (?)

Others will say to drive it hard, there are motorcycle articles that swear this is the best way to break it in.

Either way, Congrats on the new motor. Glad the dealership was professional in getting you looked after.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I would first verify with the dealer on what they suggest... just to see what they say...

but i would presonally drive it easy the first 500 miles or so and dont rev up too high but that is just the way I would do it... but I would also say that most likely these engines dont really need a breakin period... but who really knows so it can hurt driving it somewhat easy just for the heck of it...

I would also change the oil after a thousand or two just to clear out all the initial breakin remnants...

have fun with and good to hear GM took car of you..

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my new GT in 09 It drove me crazy not to use the cruise control. I think I made it about 400 miles. Then I changed the oil and filter at around 1,000 miles and then again at 3,000 miles. I believe changing the oil is the most important thing. I still believe in the old 3,000 mile oil change interval.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Drive it how you drive. New engines do not require the same old break in procedures of days gone by.

If and only if there are any that I am not aware of I would reach out to GM for suggested procedures. Otherwise drive and enjoy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Drive it like you stole it... it comes with a new warranty if you need it lol.

But like above post they don't need the same old break in procedure.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Drive it like you stole it... it comes. ith a new warranty if you need it lol.

But like above post they don't need the same old break in procedure.
Exactly!

the only thing I would do is use regular oil, not synthetic , for the first 10 thousand miles, changing at 1000, 5000, and to synthetic at 10,000. Use a good filter, Wix, napa gold, K&N...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Drive it hard. That's the best way to seat the rings and everything else.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Drive it hard. That's the best way to seat the rings and everything else.
Agreed. Then swap filters at 200 miles, then oil change at 2000 miles. That's how I'd do it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think new engines are run on a dyno after they are built, to break them in and to verify quality controls. If OEM's didnt do this, warranty claims would be through the roof!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'm easy on an engine for 500 miles and then change the oil. After that I'm driving it for what it was meant for.....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Btw, I work on the assembly line at Mercedes Benz and when vehicles leave the line they go to the chassis dyno for quick testing on everything from power delivery to emissions. Its wot too at points of the test to triple digit speeds.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts