Pontiac G8 Forum banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Banned
7,067 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
I agree, I make custom aluminum parts for the W-Body cars, and everything I sell is less than $100. It takes me a couple hours to make a set of parts, and I'm sure that intake can be made in that amount of time with the right equipment. In fact I'm going to try to make one, and if it works out I'll sell them for around half that price.
What you're missing here is the fact that the G8GT is a limited production vehicle (so far) and the amount of people wanting to modify them is even smaller. So, for say a few thousand units sold/shipped, for a decently sized aftermarket company, only making $20 on each unit isn't enough. Once you take into account "engineering" hours to design the intake to work correctly, going through multiple versions to make sure its correct, dyno testing, road testing, etc... You're talking about thousands of dollars of time spent (if the time was spent elsewhere making money, time costs money) to develop this product. Also, New Era seems to stand 100% behind their products, so you know they'll take back any "faulty" product with no questions asked, as a bad rep is money lost as well.

Personally, $380 is too steep for me to spend right now (its winter). Maybe this spring I'll convince myself, but most likely, I'll wait for them to put it on sale for a little cheaper. Once it falls around $300, I'll probably scoop it up. So, while I agree with you that its very expensive, its also a little more design intensive then a series of pipes and couplers, like every other CAI.

How do I come up with this? Well, I'm a product designer. My job is to factor design/test time into the total cost of the product.

·
09 GT fully loaded
62 Posts
Well took the G8 to the dealership because of the issue with the altenator and the one headlight went out and then came back on. I showed the tech the new install on the NEW ERA OTR and was told that would not void my warranty. I however did use a Cortex handheld tuner on the thing and was worried that might have caused some type of electrical problem. I flashed the system back to the stock tune before taking it to them but wonder what the odds are of them finding it if they hook it up for electrical reasons.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts

·
Aint First, Your last..
65 Posts
Finally got mine today. Installed, no real problems-directions were okay. Plug that goes to MAF just long enough to make it with out problems. Intake sounds no different than stock at idle, wot a bit more grunt. No stickers came with it. More comments after i get some miles on it.....:driving:

·
Dirty Jerz
94 Posts
What's the reason for disconnecting the battery first ? Don't see a reason to do so.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Probably since we remove the MAF connection, JUST in case......? You know, the safety factor issue?

·
Dirty Jerz
94 Posts
Just thought it was one less thing to do/worry about. I didn't see a reason too either.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Those wrist strap things suck. Just keep a hand on the case to keep you grounded with the thing unplugged. If I can ever find a dealer around here to pass along the dealer cash and get the car, I MAY have a superflow bench available for delta P measurements if you want to really see if your designs are less restrictive.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Electronics are very sensitive, if you unplug the MAF and a spark jumps something could get damaged. If you've ever worked inside a computer you should unplug it from the wall AND wear a grounding strap on your wrist, so static electricity doesn't zap a component.
Normal electronics are typically sensitive. Automotive grade electronics are designed to be able to handle large voltage transients, due to the harsh environment they live in. Not as big of a deal. now, if you go take apart the sensors/computers, that's a different story. If they're in their stock housings, its typically not an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
howdy :) I just put my NEP OTR CAI on and was wondering... As far as tuning with my cortex, is it better to leave it on stock 91 or to get the vararam tune?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This is a great intake I like mine a lot these cars love an OTR Intake...having said that after my visit to Australia last month and seeing the extra width for air to be collected makes me wonder how much more HP could be achieved from our New Era intake if they had a similar design...Grower intakes are very popular on Holden Commodores back home Down Under But....They are double the price /// Value for money we have a great deal with New Era....

181 - 198 of 198 Posts
About this Discussion
197 Replies
61 Participants
missan nissan
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing