Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I like your design. Looks better than the Orssom OTR CAI and the price is in line too. I was thinking of a design like this, except for angling the filter upwards toward the hood scoops and then creating a foam seal around the outer eadge such that the hood closes down on the seal for a quasi ram air effect from the air coming through the hood scoops, rather than just facing forward. Any thoughts on tweaking the design to accommodate this? If that could be tweaked, I would be more inclined to buy this design rather than waiting for Vararam's ram air that is in progress. I've seen discussions on here about not getting much air through the hood scoops, but seems like a good idea to utlilize them anyway. Just a thought, I don't know about how feasible it would be to do though. Thanks!
We actually thought about doing this , but this would appear to be a pretty big airflow restriction most likely resulting in no or little gain .

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for the fast reponse. I can see your point...if sealing the filter up to the hood scoops doed not produce gain, then there is no point. I'm puttin it on my wish list! Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
The maf is not hooked up in these pics , because it was the first pics taken with this piece powdercoated , all the testing was done with a prototype not powdercoated . So , we just installed this just for pics today , sorry , didn't plug in the Maf for it . Yes , it will be fine in the rain also , there is a seal in front of the gap where the hood closes on the top of the front bumper , and the point that this will draw the air from is not going to have any issue with driving in the rain for sure , this was thought out already .

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The maf is not hooked up in these pics , because it was the first pics taken with this piece powdercoated , all the testing was done with a prototype not powdercoated . So , we just installed this just for pics today , sorry , didn't plug in the Maf for it . Yes , it will be fine in the rain also , there is a seal in front of the gap where the hood closes on the top of the front bumper , and the point that this will draw the air from is not going to have any issue with driving in the rain for sure , this was thought out already .
While driving out in a mist, on a dusty road, I had one heck of coating of tan mud between the hood and body, due to the big gap. I was about to put some rubber there, so this will seal that area then?

·
Sporting the GXP
1,468 Posts
Does angling the radiator back cause any cooling efficiency issues? It gets pretty hot in the summer here.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There is a seal on the bottom of the front of your hood from the factory , double check to see if you have one ?
After looking at some pictures, the mud was coated on the area up to the seal. There's a few inches that's still open, but the current seal will definitely cover your filter then.

After some thought, will this kill cold weather driveability?

·
Banned
717 Posts
Does angling the radiator back cause any cooling efficiency issues? It gets pretty hot in the summer here.
How do you angle the radiator back?

·
Banned
717 Posts
Ok, thanks that was what I was thinking.

21 - 40 of 198 Posts
About this Discussion
197 Replies
61 Participants
missan nissan
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing