Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So late last year (not to long after I got the car), one of the first things I replaced were the nasty OEM headlight housings. At this same time I did a HID conversion as I do with all non-HID vehicles I own.

I purchased the TYC assemblies from Rock Auto and a DDM HID kit. Since it was a cold November day, I did the swap quickly, and didn't give much a thought to putting the moisture caps back on as I've never had issues before with vehicles that had a similar setup. Well, that bit me in the a$$. First rain/snow/etc we had, they fogged up. I lived with it through winter dealing with it every time we got precip or if I took it through a car wash. Then I'd leave the hood propped open to let the heat dissipate out.

So this past weekend, I ordered two more TYC light assemblies from Rock Auto. I did the swap, and stuffed all my HID parts/wiring in to the housing and sealed it with the moisture cap. All are tight and sealed.

Last night it rained... And the SOB's fogged up again. No where near as bad as before, but still...

WTH am I missing here? I just want a non-fogging assembly. Is it just these cheaper TYC assemblies? Is there a vent tube/hole that I am missing? I mean, I went through the whole assembly before I reinstalled on the car.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My TYCs have not fogged at all. My stock set did when I was running without dust caps on the low beams, made a mess in there. On our Town & Country, there are little drain/vents that one needs to make sure point down to prevent fogging, but I don't recall seeing any on G8 headlights.

Maybe it was just really moisty out when you had them open? Can you remove the covers and point a hairdryer into the bright beam and attempt to dry them out?

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't even get my hands in there. Then the drivers side... The Roto-Fab covers it all up. I mean, I could remove that too, but...

These don't have any external vents, like the little 90* rubber elbow you're referring to. I did them on Saturday when it was sunny breezy and 72. Then it was fine for Sunday and Monday (both days it rained), but of course, the car sat. So no heat from the radiator next to it.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
It's both assemblies? It's a pain in the keester to remove something that used to be so much easier to do (thinking of my 92 Bonne with two tool-less screws that held them in), but Rockauto would probably exchange them.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. However, it is primarily the passenger side. This was the same as the other set I had in there. The passenger side was the prominent fogger.

But yea, that's my frustration. This (as well as the GTO and the Cadillac), you can't just pop a few tabs or undo a few 10mm bolts and voila... Assembly is out.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I don't know why they have to make it so inconvenient. For real, a post on the bottom a couple screws on the top, boom, mounted.

Sorry I don't have any quick fixes for you.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
So late last year (not to long after I got the car), one of the first things I replaced were the nasty OEM headlight housings. At this same time I did a HID conversion as I do with all non-HID vehicles I own.

I purchased the TYC assemblies from Rock Auto and a DDM HID kit. Since it was a cold November day, I did the swap quickly, and didn't give much a thought to putting the moisture caps back on as I've never had issues before with vehicles that had a similar setup. Well, that bit me in the a$$. First rain/snow/etc we had, they fogged up. I lived with it through winter dealing with it every time we got precip or if I took it through a car wash. Then I'd leave the hood propped open to let the heat dissipate out.

So this past weekend, I ordered two more TYC light assemblies from Rock Auto. I did the swap, and stuffed all my HID parts/wiring in to the housing and sealed it with the moisture cap. All are tight and sealed.

Last night it rained... And the SOB's fogged up again. No where near as bad as before, but still...

WTH am I missing here? I just want a non-fogging assembly. Is it just these cheaper TYC assemblies? Is there a vent tube/hole that I am missing? I mean, I went through the whole assembly before I reinstalled on the car.
Mine does this as well. Primarily the driver side though.

I'm going to get my OEM lenses cleaned/cleared up and take all of the retrofit stuff out of the TYCs and put them in the OEM housings.

I also found the OEM housing and lens to be made of a higher quality plastic.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, with that, it sounds like it's the cheaper TYC assemblies.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
So, with that, it sounds like it's the cheaper TYC assemblies.
I agree. I even resealed them but still ran into the same issue, though to a lesser extent.

I just need to find someone who can clean up my original lenses (they're currently separated).

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Just drill very small holes under the headlight assembly. That's what I did back in the days on my Cobalt SS and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm fairly certain both OEM & TYC assemblies are vented with a breather patch (let moisture out, but not in...some type of goretex patch I believe). The fogging is normal, but the heat from the beams should clear it. Especially with TYCs, it did it quite a bit on my passenger side of my G8 as well at first, and even worse when they were new on my dad's G6. After a couple of weeks, it doesn't happen to either car anymore. The breather patch was very obvious on the G6 assemblies, but I haven't actually looked around the G8 assembly since I too did mine in the middle of winter, and it cleared itself up anyway.

Also... assuming Rock is a certified TYC distributor, TYCs are lifetime warranty. I'm sure if you tell them you added HIDs and left the covers off it would void that warranty, but that's your call. I love Rock, but they're actually kind of annoying for warranty swaps IMO. With a good/reputable eBay or Amazon seller, they usually just ship you a new assemblies no questions asked, and then tell you to ship back the old ones within 60 or 90 days. In fact, even the cheaper aftermarket headlamps often have a 10yr warranty that I've been able to use on other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I'm fairly certain both OEM & TYC assemblies are vented with a breather patch (let moisture out, but not in...some type of goretex patch I believe). The fogging is normal, but the heat from the beams should clear it. Especially with TYCs, it did it quite a bit on my passenger side of my G8 as well at first, and even worse when they were new on my dad's G6. After a couple of weeks, it doesn't happen to either car anymore. The breather patch was very obvious on the G6 assemblies, but I haven't actually looked around the G8 assembly since I too did mine in the middle of winter, and it cleared itself up anyway.

Also... assuming Rock is a certified TYC distributor, TYCs are lifetime warranty. I'm sure if you tell them you added HIDs and left the covers off it would void that warranty, but that's your call. I love Rock, but they're actually kind of annoying for warranty swaps IMO. With a good/reputable eBay or Amazon seller, they usually just ship you a new assemblies no questions asked, and then tell you to ship back the old ones within 60 or 90 days. In fact, even the cheaper aftermarket headlamps often have a 10yr warranty that I've been able to use on other vehicles.
Shipping the old assemblies back would be a problem since they have been opened in order to retrofit.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news is, yesterday morning I drove through a monsoon on my way in to work and once I got here, let it sit allowing the heat to soak in, I got nothing... In the headlight assemblies...

Fog lights though... Grrr...

I need new ones of those anyway, but still... :D

As to returning the others to RockAuto, the terminals from inside the light, that plug in to the bulb "removed themselves" from the weatherpak connector. Not sure they would take them back now.

I could probably sell them here. There is nothing really wrong with them, they worked fine, I just wanted to start over.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Aftermarket housings for the 98 Sierra through a truck accessories website were fogbound. I forget where the next ones came from but they were way better. We have daytime running lights and that helped. Hope that you gt this resolved permanently Lane.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, not sure why they initially fogged up a little. But like I say, driving through a monsoon, they seemed fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
CMNTMXR57
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing