Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a G8 so I wanted to learn more about them so when I'm ready to buy I'm not completely ignorant to these cars. I'm not new to working on and having a hot rod, my current car is a 13gt mustang with a built engine and a vmp gen2 supercharger. Car makes 675rwhp and I drive it pretty much everyday. My goal with the G8 would be to have a nice mildly modded daily driver. I mostly do the work on cars myself, I had the bottom end on the mustang built but I assembled everything else so my knowledge is fair I would say. I'm not a brand loyalist I just like cool cars of all makes and models but mainly stay with American V8's. One thing I see pop up often on the G8's is DOD what is that? I look forward to learning from the people here, anything I really need to know before buying a G8 let me know. Thanks

Karl

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
552 Posts
From a blower 4 cam to a LS,,,, welcome to the simple life. !!! 😀
I work on some Coyotes and Coyudoos.
While they are an awesome engine, the complexities are mind numbing.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Welcome and I hope you build your G8 to fit your needs. There are a few easy to correct faults unique to the G8. Then there are the LS weak points of all engines of that age. Get past those and car will do all you ask of it. All the first Gen of DOD engines have weak lifters. Your going to cam the engine so it’s a normal replacement. Trunnions for the rockers , and oil system upgrades will avoid engine failures. We have members here going from stock to highly modified. We can show you many options to choose from

Reactions: CrackedBrain

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black, Roto-Fab CAI.
89 Posts
Welcome. I picked up my G8 in January of this year and these guys have taught me quite a bit already.

Knowledgeable folks here ready to respond. Good Luck with yours!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From a blower 4 cam to a LS,,,, welcome to the simple life. !!! 😀
I work on some Coyotes and Coyudoos.
While they are an awesome engine, the complexities are mind numbing.
Hahaha yeah for sure! I do love the coyote I have to admit. Been a fan of the G8 from the first time I saw one also.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black, Roto-Fab CAI.
89 Posts
The three things these guys will tell you to do first is a cold air intake, a tune and exhaust; headers back if that works for you. They have told me that the engines have been tuned conservatively. A tune adds horsepower easily, I am told by the forum.

I did the CAI and I am adding headers back, a tune and upgrading the cam in July. Replacing the lifters to as my car as well since the engine has 124K on it right now. Hot rod shop says that should add around 100 horsepower at a minimum.

May upgrade the heads as well but, not sure yet. Additional $$$.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
And then the suspension. Think of her as a 4 door fifth Gen Camaro. Good tires, subframe inserts, new ft arms and poly bushings for the sway bars gets you around the corners with some confidence

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Front lower control arms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good, the basics for a nice street car. I would daily this so I’m hoping I don’t go crazy like my mustang. I really want it to stay NA so a cam for sure probably heads on down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts