Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my name is Dan I work at a small used car lot and we just took in trade a 2019 G8 gt 6.0. The body and underneath is in immaculate condition my question is the car has 200,000 miles on it. What is the Lifespan of the 6.0. I love my gm’s I have always owned trucks with high mileage. The car seems to shift just fine and the engine seems to run terrific other than a little bit of valve train noise which doesn’t appear to be that bad. I can pick the car up for $1500 I think that is a great deal. Let me know what you all think

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Probably worth getting at that price if you like it. How is the interior? Everything working (heat/AC/windows/locks/radio)? Is it a rust belt location. The valvetrain noise will most likely be the main issue, not knowing the history I would assume it still has the DoD active fuel management which most likely will be problematic at that mileage. Comfortable with a cam swap?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes everything appears to work just fine interior only has two rips one on each front seat. The car is extremely clean underneath it already has a performance exhaust from the Cadillac converters all the way back. And supposedly the guy bought it with 42,000 miles on it and it was highway driven all its life

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just purchased a 2016 Silverado so I am very well aware of the bells train noises when the lifters let go because that’s all I’ve been reading up on and it’s definitely not that type of a tick

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
For $1500 I would get it... easily worth that and more likely would sell for an easy $5k

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Welcome to the board. Grab it. A DOD delete with an LS3 cam is a low cosy upgrade and you will have a fun car with years of life left in it

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I'd be in at that price, even if you part it out your well ahead of the game.
Simple oil change may help with the lifter noise, who knows with that mileage may already have had the DOD delete and your laughing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You’re exactly correct it may have already had engine work done to it as of right now I don’t know the history. When I go into work on Monday I’m going to get the owners number and talk to him and find out what’s been done to it I highly doubt it’s going to hundred thousand miles with nothing

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,401 Posts
The only challenge may be the replacement of the seat leather if you choose too. They are getting rare but, can still be found. Pretty much all of the drive train, suspension and brake parts are readily available for the G8 or other GM cars like the Camaro or Chevy SS parts can be swapped in. Interior parts are pretty difficult to find.

$1500, grab it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything seems to work on the interior and the seats really aren’t that bad might have them sent out and have them fixed. Also I want to find out what the brand is of the exhaust it is definitely a manufactured system stainless steel all the way to the back there are no resonators just to Muffler‘s at the back bumper

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,401 Posts
Any mufflers underneath in the exhaust between the cats and the rear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
straight pipes all the way to the back and then two chrome mufflers at the back and all the piping is chrome so it’s definitely aftermarket. They almost look like magnaflow but I haven’t seen a name on it yet and the tips are welded to the mufflers. I was more concerned with it running and driving. But like you all said for 1500 bucks it’s worth it just in the parts so I already told my boss that I’m going to take it

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,401 Posts
I have Kooks headers and cross pipes all the way to the back with Magnaflow mufflers.

Other than you wanting to know the brand, sounds like a complete exhaust system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m hoping to get it on the list tomorrow and do a service on it. My local auto shop offers AC Delco ATF fluid for it and I’m gonna do a good oil change probably full synthetic and just look it over underneath as I have not really even inspected under the car yet other than jacking up one side and taking a quick look

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd be a little leary using synthetic, my understanding is if the car has been fed conventional, with that many miles on it and you start using synthetic the engine could start leaking oil. Just what I've heard.

·
Premium Member
10,473 Posts
At this juncture it's neither here nor there albeit did the previous owners provide maintenance records? Be sure to start a thread in the newbie/introduction section of the forum. Congratulations on the purchase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts