Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, weather finally permitted and I was able to get out there and get it done.

As most of you already know, I did the LSA blower conversion on my car. I wanted to show just how easy and simple it can be to get your manual transmission G8 GXP into the 10s without going "wild" on your build.

My goal was to have my M6 GXP run 10s, without sacrificing the comfort and reliability of the car. The car drives like a car with just headers and intake, except it has a nice little lope to it.

The weather was not "optimal", but it wasn't bad either. slight cross wind, with D.A in the 1,800s for this run.

I only had one chance to go "balls out", because my track officials are a bit on the strict side. I could have done better, but I got kicked out, and was unable to better my somewhat sloppy launch and shifts. (Not enough seat time with this combo).

Anyway, if you are planning to emulate this build, DO IT! I've enjoyed every second of it. Took me a whole lot of hours to complete as I did 100% of the build my self, including the custom tuning. :nerd:

I wanna thank my woman and kids for putting up with all my long hours in the garage, my AZ peeps for all your support at the track, ( S/C'd Cav, OlSkoolGP, djerickd, and others). I really appreciate it. :x

My buddy Josh AKA OlSkoolGP has the better video action, but here is the in car experience when you actually have to work for your quarter mile time. lol >:)

Again, pardon my sloppy launch and shifts... :crying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwIrSauIZcc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
woooooooo !!!!

jamie got booted to , but tried to get back into the staging lanes and they closed them down , some have been lucky to talk their way through the lane guy to get one more run

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was definitely a blast for those 10 seconds. lol Yea, the track officials have been really cracking down on us grocery getter guys for some reason. lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice! I would have been there but there was a hockey game on that I couldn't miss/DVR.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Running a custom cam very similar to a BTR stage 3. Pulls nicely throughout the whole power band, and is able to get the car going from a dead stop. Which is a problem for us M6 guys that don't have the advantage of a stalled auto.

And yes, I need a stronger phone holder. Blew the welds off the phone holder. ha ha ha.

This was really just a shake down pass to get a ball park idea of where the car is at. The car was run on full weight, with even my kid's stroller in the trunk for ****s n giggles. And a very conservative "factory style" tune in place. Only track prep was the 275/40/17 Hoosier drag radials. Stock front runners.

I plan to add my meth kit, and upload a sexier tune the next time out. My goal is to go deep 10s and invade the stalled auto territory with my good ol man pedal. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
oh noooooooooooooooooooo.......... not the welds on the phone holder

you need to do that coolant tank/ rad cover we talked about ! was thinking 3.45's with 28" tall rubber might work better at the track , and be a bit more street friendly with the 26" rubber

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am definitely going to swap my gxp diff for a camaro diff with 3.45s. I feel that I am losing speed in the first half of the run shifting so much. Only one way to find out right?

·
Chevrolet Performance Par
711 Posts
I am definitely going to swap my gxp diff for a camaro diff with 3.45s. I feel that I am losing speed in the first half of the run shifting so much. Only one way to find out right?
My thoughts exactly, but haven't jumped yet.

-Greg

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
good thing the diffs are a easy swap :) can always try 3.27's too ;) lol

·
G8/LSX n00b
855 Posts
Super clean build man! I can't wait to get mine boosted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
28" tires, yes. With the tires you have you're running the equivalent of a 3.85 rear end ratio. A 28" tire would give you the equivalent of a 3.53 ratio, which would be as lot cheaper and not as permanent as 3.45s. As it stands right now you'll be almost at the top of 4th on a perfect pass. Even if you go to 3.45s or 3.27s, you'll still need 4th so you'll still have to shift three times. Better to shift early and spend more time in the gear you'll finish in.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
So, weather finally permitted and I was able to get out there and get it done.

As most of you already know, I did the LSA blower conversion on my car. I wanted to show just how easy and simple it can be to get your manual transmission G8 GXP into the 10s without going "wild" on your build.

My goal was to have my M6 GXP run 10s, without sacrificing the comfort and reliability of the car. The car drives like a car with just headers and intake, except it has a nice little lope to it.

The weather was not "optimal", but it wasn't bad either. slight cross wind, with D.A in the 1,800s for this run.

I only had one chance to go "balls out", because my track officials are a bit on the strict side. I could have done better, but I got kicked out, and was unable to better my somewhat sloppy launch and shifts. (Not enough seat time with this combo).

Anyway, if you are planning to emulate this build, DO IT! I've enjoyed every second of it. Took me a whole lot of hours to complete as I did 100% of the build my self, including the custom tuning. :nerd:

I wanna thank my woman and kids for putting up with all my long hours in the garage, my AZ peeps for all your support at the track, ( S/C'd Cav, OlSkoolGP, djerickd, and others). I really appreciate it. :x

My buddy Josh AKA OlSkoolGP has the better video action, but here is the in car experience when you actually have to work for your quarter mile time. lol >:)

Again, pardon my sloppy launch and shifts... :crying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwIrSauIZcc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks guys!
Showing your video clip to some mates & one of them said you have a "line locker" & that's why the car remains stationary during your burnout?? Is this correct??

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is not. He foot brakes.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. I agree that a 28" tire will definitely help and still keep me in 4th long enough until I cross the traps. I will add that to this list of things to do before I take her back out again.

I don't have a line lock unfortunately. For now, I just have to be quick with my feet. :)

I forgot to mention. I did weigh my car and she came in at 3,996 lbs with a 3/4 tank of fuel without me in it and with the blower installed. I weigh 218 lbs, so add that to the car's weight for race weight. My buddy's 2014 Chevy SS came in at 3,970 lbs with headers and OTR intake installed without him in it. Goes to show how much all the "bells n whistles" add in weight when compared to a GXP.

Next to do on the list

Meth injection for drag racing only
Larger reservoir tank for the H/E
20" Hoosier slicks

So far, the Monster Stage 3 clutch is holding and has felt solid. Thank you Monster!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i thought you got one last time we talked about them ? mine is still just sitting here , lol

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope. Good ol foot brake

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
better get one before your one wheelie peelies get worse

:p

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
14 Participants
maxspeed96ct
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing