Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New project: Bronze plasti dipped GXP wheels *Updated with Pics*

Hey guys. I have been thinking about getting a new set of rims for my GT (Liquid Red). Currently, I am running the factory GXP wheels and I like the style very much. However, I recently saw the "sunken treasure' powdercoat and instantly fell in love with the color.

I was seriously considering selling the GXP wheels and ordering some aftermarket wheels for the car. THEN I saw a video by DipYourCar.com that showed how to achieve a deep bronze color with the plasti dip. (http://youtu.be/rOtQ320LzyY if you care to watch).

I am thinking of trying for the Matte Black + Bronze metalizer to achieve the deep bronze color that they ended with in the video. the color is probably not quite as glossy or nearly as much metal flake in the plasti dip as is in the "sunken treasure" color, but it will get me close for much cheaper.

What do you guys think of the idea? Essentially I could get into bronze colored wheels for 30-40 bucks.

Also, I will be doing the chrome door trim and the chrome on the door handles, as well as the front grilles and hood scoops. Should I do all of this in a simple matte black? Or, should I use the copper metalizer on that as well and try to match it with the wheels?

Any comments or concerns here are appreciated. I figure if I get it all done im out less that 100 bucks and my time.

Thanks.

*PICTURES* They are small. Working on getting some better ones.

I only did 1 rim to get a feel for the plasti dip and the color combo. I am a fan. I will have to start looking for some black lug nuts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd love to see the finished product. I'm also a big fan of plastidip so IMO I say go for it! If you don't like something just peal and try again with or without a different color. Idk how bronze would look in the chrome accessories but I don't think anyone has tried that yet. Maybe use less bronze on the chrome and use the plastidip glossifier after.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Try it on the wheels. I'd really like to see how that turns out.

I don't think a car would look good trimmed out in bronze, to be honest.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Go for it man. Personally I've been thinking of using the silver metalizer on my stock 18 wheels along with some black plastidip maybe.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Its worth a shot, you cant lose with plastidip! If you dont like it just peel it off. I did black on my wheels and it turned out great! Its no substitute for a nice set of VMR V710s powdercoated Bronze Burst BUT im sure it will look better than stock ;) Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going to go for it on the wheels. Worst case scenario, they look like dirty black wheels and I'll peel it and sell the wheels and buy the vmr710s with the color I wanted.

Speaking of, Mr Modbargains. Could you pm me a price on a set of 19s? Pics of project to come. We have a week of warm weather heading our way soon.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
in for results!

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Doooo eeeet!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like everyone else said, go for it. You have nothin to lose. Plasti dip is the ****. I used it on my last 2 cars. I personally think the bronze would look good with the red. As long as its a dark bronze. I say do it and take some pics. If you dont like it just peel it off and try something else.

·
Registered
122 Posts
trim in bronze would not look good imo the matte black would be fine with the bronze rims

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright. Trim will be matte black and the wheels will be bronze. I'm going to pick up a can of the glossifier and try it out on a wheel. I'm not sure if I will like the matte bronze look or a glossy bronze look better.

In any event, the collection of cans has started. I picked up 4 cans of matte black tonight. Going to check locally for the bronze tomorrow. If I can't find it I'll order that tomorrow as well.

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
i love bronze wheels, did a set of Scion tC wheels for my friends Celica!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those look great on the celica. My vision for bronze wheels will be a much darker shade of bronze. Waiting on my order to ship

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Check out just about any Volk wheel...bronze perfection.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You should upload a little bigger picture. Looks really good tho!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts