Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fuel Low
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a decent looking option for replacing our seats without having to go crazy with the fabrication to bolt it in. Has anyone used Braum seats before? They have a series called the Elite-X that looks OEM and comes in a bunch of different colors and materials. I emailed them this morning asking if they could make a bracket for our cars and it turns out they already have it, but it just hasn't been listed on the website yet. I gotta say in pretty pumped about this.

I'm going to go with black leather with black suede inserts and red stitching. It looks like it'll match my shifter boot and ZL1 shift knob of the same style, and hopefully the red that's on my steering wheel, too.

The seats look pretty close to the C7 competition seats. I didn't see any DOT approved verbiage, though, so if that's a priority for you then you will have to do some more research. The seat brackets are made in the USA, so that gives me some reassurance.

Losing the factory power seats and airbag should cause a significant weight loss. These seats are 25lb, not counting the bracket (10lb?) and sliders (5lb?). If I remember correctly the factory assembly including brackets weigh about 70lb. I'll be happy losing 60 pounds out of the car. We'll get an airbag light since these don't have them, but can that be turned off with HP Tuners? If not I'm sure a resistor would do the job. These go from $800-900 for a pair. Brackets are $140 each.

Bracket part numbers:
SB274DR - DRIVER'S SIDE
SB274PA - PASSENGER SIDE

Very excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You mean when they "inexplicably" lose control of their car??? I love how the local news always says "inexplicably" because they're afraid to highlight the real explanation.... Alas... I'm going off on a tangent... :D

·
Fuel Low
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happens when you get T-boned by a texting teenager and you don't have side airbags?
Probably a lot less than if I were to get t-boned by a teenager while riding my motorcycle. And a lot less than what would happen to you wrecking at 145 MPH drag racing without a roll cage.

Everyone has their individual risks they're willing to take - varies by person.

·
Registered
896 Posts
That's a nice option for our cars. Good find.

·
-
120 Posts
I am using Planted bracket in my Cutlass, very heady duty and well made. I actually cut about 0.75" out of the legs on the driver side bracket, and had them re-welded, to gain some headroom. Might be something to consider if you wanted more headroom in the G8, assuming there is room to lower the bracket.

·
Fuel Low
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using Planted bracket in my Cutlass, very heady duty and well made. I actually cut about 0.75" out of the legs on the driver side bracket, and had them re-welded, to gain some headroom. Might be something to consider if you wanted more headroom in the G8, assuming there is room to lower the bracket.
That's good to hear. They seem like quality pieces. I have driven my G8 with a helmet and haven't had any issues with clearance, but then again I'm just just a hair over 5'10". Hopefully I won't have to have the bracket modified. I wonder if it'll actually lower the seat considering it's doing away with motor that raises/lowers the seat?

I will be buying these, but not until about June. Hopefully someone installs them before then so we can find out.

·
-
120 Posts
6'5" here, I need all the headroom I can get. (no sunroof for me) I bet you'll pick up some headroom from the new seat base being thinner than factory. I have Corbeau A4 Wide in my Cutlass, which has the lowest base height I could find of any seat in my price range. I then had the foam shaved on the driver seat to lower it a bit more.

Looking forward to pics when you get them installed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts