Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought my wife a SBM GT in 2011 with 4100 miles on it. It already had a Frankenstein straight pipe exhaust on it: factory manifolds and cats, mid-muffler removed and resonators relocated, smaller pipe used as filler, no x-pipe, no mufflers, straight pipe axlebacks. It sounded good outside the car, very low and loud tone, but HORRIBLE drone between 1800 and 2100 rpm. Recently had DOD delete done by CHenry Motorsports and the drone range greatly expanded. Today we installed the Solo Mach Balanced catback system, about 3 hours work, including a couple of breaks. After a shake down run everything seems to be as advertised. No drone, somewhat quiet inside the car. Nice tone outside and racecar sound over 3000 rpm. We couldn't be happier.

·
F1rehawk
663 Posts
I have the Mach Shorty Unbalanced and have been quite pleased with the system. Almost no drone experienced.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If you ever add headers to your Mach Balanced, I suggest the Kooks Mids. The pipes are close to equal length and give a smoother tone during normal driving. At WOT the 3" pipe going into the cats makes it real loud. I had shorties and high flow cats on my previous car. The kooks flow and sound way better, and they were both 1.75" primarys

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you ever add headers to your Mach Balanced, I suggest the Kooks Mids. The pipes are close to equal length and give a smoother tone during normal driving. At WOT the 3" pipe going into the cats makes it real loud. I had shorties and high flow cats on my previous car. The kooks flow and sound way better, and they were both 1.75" primarys
Thanks for the tip. This is my wife's G8 and she isn't looking to go any faster, or louder. We only did the DOD delete because 2 lifters were failing. CHenry Motorsports did the cam work with an LS3 takeout from a Camaro, LS7 lifters, LS2 timing set, etc.etc..... I have 1 7/8" long tube Kooks with hi-flow cats into Corsa catback on my G8 and it sounds great. Can't wait to get DOD delete and a bumpier cam in mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts