Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my rear driver's side speaker has been rattling ever since I purchased my GXP back in November and it's been bugging the hell out of me because I can hear it every time I turn the volume up past 15. :cursin::cursin:

I browsed through the forums and found some good reviews on the Infinity Kappa 62.9i door speakers and decided to give them a shot. I liked these because they have a built in crossover and that the tweeter is able to be turned 360 degrees so you can really dial in the sweet spot for your sound. I got my speakers from Amazon for $130 for both pair and also added some Metra speaker connectors based on a thread I read that recommended them due to the small amount of factory wiring to hook up the speakers.

So the install was pretty straight forward. It took me a little while to figure out how to mount the first speaker, but once i figured out which mounting plate to use (which was supplied with the speakers) the other three doors were a snap. All in all the install took me around three hours.

Let me just say that these things SCREAM!!! Before on the factory speakers I could turn the volume up to maybe 30 or 35 before they really started to distort, now with these installed I can turn the volume all the way up (volume goes up to 63 if you're wondering :burnout:) and there's no distortion at all, none, zero. I always read about how crappy the factory speakers are, but I never knew what I was missing out on until after I had these installed. It really is a night and day difference. For the price I paid ($140 total) this is one of the best "mods" I've done to the car. I would highly recommend these speakers to anyone looking for a relatively cheap and easy upgrade.

Infinity Kappa 62.9i specs

New toys:

Door one done:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the same rattle! It's not like the speaker is blown, but loose or something.. Nice to know those speakers were that cheap and make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The rattling speaker wasn't blown per say, but the cone of the stock speaker was definitely the culprit of the rattling. With the door panel off and the volume turned up I could definitely tell where the rattle was coming from. The stock speaker was probably just past its life expectancy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
6 Speed Maniac
477 Posts
Does the stock speaker grille still fit without problems? Your picture makes the speaker look like it really sticks out of the door pretty far.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the stock speaker grille still fit without problems? Your picture makes the speaker look like it really sticks out of the door pretty far.
Yup, stock speaker grill fits just fine. You re-use the stock speaker mount, but you add a thin metal mounting bracket adapter that comes with the speakers. The new metal adapter is really thin so it doesn't add much thickness to the stock speaker mounting bracket.

·
BigCasnio
525 Posts
Now go getcha some 8" kicker CVT8 shallow mount subs and replace the stock ones...and crank up that stock amp.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now go getcha some 8" kicker CVT8 shallow mount subs and replace the stock ones...and crank up that stock amp.
Already got the stock amp cranked all the way up. I'm actually thinking about ditching the 8's and maybe just getting one 12" sub for some bump. It never ends. ;-)

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Thanks for the advice o.p. , starting to get to me to and wanna upgrade. Maybe ill go this route.

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
I am also using the 62.9 Kappas and love them. I also have the 32.9 kappa in the center and what a difference that makes.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Wow great thread. May have to do this as well. Thx for the great info OP!

·
BigCasnio
525 Posts
I chose the Polk Audio DB651s for the doors. It was them or the Infinitys...I extremely happy with the Polks.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I chose the Polk Audio DB651s for the doors. It was them or the Infinitys...I extremely happy with the Polks.
The Polk DB651's seemed very popular also with the board members here. I'm sure they perform just as well as the Infinity's. I've used Infinity Kappa's in a few of my old cars and have always been happy with them, plus the reasons I stated in the original post is why I personally went with them. I think you can't go wrong with either choice (Polk or Infinity). The factory speakers really are garbage and everyone's car deserves to have them replaced. ;-)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Already got the stock amp cranked all the way up. I'm actually thinking about ditching the 8's and maybe just getting one 12" sub for some bump. It never ends. ;-)

The 8's on the stock amp is hardly a noticeable difference then stock, I though I could get away with that and be happy...I was not lol.

500w mono amp, 2 8's, 2 12's in truck later im content

·
6 Speed Maniac
477 Posts
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these. Thanks for the info terry!!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these. Thanks for the info terry!!
No problem man. That's why we're all here, to help each other out. I would definitely recommend you get the metra speaker connectors, it will make the install soooooo much easier. You're going to love the difference these make.

·
OGOC Member
773 Posts
Just ordered this exact setup, so thanks from me, too, Terry!

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
i would keep the 8s for a nice mid base and the 12 and take it home will give good quality sound if set up right

The stock 8's are a terrible part for midbass. If you have a sub in the trunk, the 8's should come out so the sound can vent into the cabin. When's the last time you went to a concert and the midbass/drums were behind you?

Midbass should come from the front, but not many people are willing to invest the time necessary to seal and deaden the doors, so that the front doors are an actual enclosure ("infinite baffle" effectively). And subwoofers are NOT good at producing midbass.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Now you got me thinking of upgrading. Damn you! lol

1 - 20 of 89 Posts