Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I went to have some new speakers put in all four doors. I've only had the car less than a year, but the sound quality was really poor. Anything above 12 or 13 led to buzzing and distortion. I thought I had it narrowed down to the left rear speaker. I was wrong.

As they checked everything for me, it turns out one of the subs in the rear deck was not working. This was not part of the plan.:(

They showed me the door speakers they had removed, as well as the subs. I was really surprised and disappointed at the cheapness of all the speakers. The wire connectors on all four door speakers were badly corroded. All four door speakers were also physically distorted, as well as coming apart. The one sub that didn't work, came out with parts falling out of it (which explained why it wasn't working). I wish I would have had my cell phone, so I could have taken some pictures.

I had purchased four Polk DB651S for the doors, and ended up having to buy two subs. I didn't have a lot to choose from where I was at, but went with Kenwood KFC-XW800F eXcelon's.

Now, it sounds 100 times better. I can turn the volume waaaaaay up, and get no distortions or rattling. It sounds now the way it should have sounded from the beginning.

If you still have the stock speakers in your car, fair warning, they are total junk!

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
I know what you mean. All 4 of my doors speakers are replaced with Infinity Kappas. The factory center is also junk and I highly recommend replacing that too. I replaced the center speaker with a Infinity Kappa 32.9. When I replaced the doors the center speaker got louder. So when I replaced the center speaker, I also added a resistor to tone down the center. I will be doing the subs next because they too sound terrible. But replacing the doors and center have made a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Have you swapped the sub wires or done the bass bias mod yet?
Both of those will help as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not have any wiring replaced. I have not done the base bias mod, but I may do that down the road. I've only had them in for a couple days, and the sound is totally different than it was.

So far, I have kept the stock amp. Not sure if I will replace that or not yet. I will probably replace the stock tweeters and the front dash speaker, based on the poor condition of all the others.

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Have you swapped the sub wires or done the bass bias mod yet?
Both of those will help as well.
Swapped wires and adjusted bias. The subs do thump harder with these adjustments. But the speakers still sound crappy and cant give quality sound. You do hear the shortfalls of the sub speakers when you have better door speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Any thoughts on what an 8 ohmer center dash speaker would have on the system? Would I still need a resistor to balance the overdiven volume? This dude is the one Id like to try as it has a decent bass to it though its 8 ohms.....
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-210
It looks too deep to fit. You'd better measure first before you order it. The resistor mod thread includes instructions on how to get the center speaker grille off so you can measure the space.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20383

That speaker has low sensitivity (82 dB 1W/1m) so you probably won't need a resistor in series with it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Can any one give me a link for good plug and play speakers?

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Can any one give me a link for good plug and play speakers?
For the doors?

Lots of people on this board like the Polk Audio db651s. (The S means shallow-mount. On a few G8 the regular db651 won't quite fit.) Note that if you put the db651s in the front doors, which lots of people have, you wind up with extra tweeters in the front because of the existing tweeters in the dash. People say they sound much better than the stock speakers anyway. They're available from Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB651S/Polk-Audio-db651s.html

If you search this board for the word Polk then you will find some other suggestions. Crutchfield's speaker selector has other choices too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the Polk DB651s in all four doors. It sounds amazingly different now than what it did before.

I bought them from Amazon, and it was $55 per pair, I think.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I know the factory speakers are bad, but 12-13 on the speaker volume... you do know you start to effect your hearing at anything above 60 decibels right? 6-7 is plenty loud to even got over the HFC and solo's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree, stock speakers are disappointing especially being a "premium" blaupunkt? system... I however have no speaker damage and mostly listen to Sirius XM, in which most stations have a poor reception quality anyway. If I start in listening to my iPod or CD's more I may justify an upgrade.

One thing is for sure, I drove a stock, base 2005 cobalt before this, and the sound quality was at least twice as good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I personally run Focal in my doors but I just installed Polk Audio DB-840DVC 8inch subs in stock location(get plenty of Dynomat). Just wire each sub in series (if using factory amp like I did) to get 2 ohms. The best $79 I spent on Amazon

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
some of the worst stock speakers i've ever seen. for me i'd have replaced the stock speakers no matter what. but when you get a high performance car at a good price, you have to cut corners somewhere and I'm glad it's there and not HP.

·
Registered
267 Posts
some of the worst stock speakers i've ever seen. for me i'd have replaced the stock speakers no matter what. but when you get a high performance car at a good price, you have to cut corners somewhere and I'm glad it's there and not HP.
Unfortnatly they cut corners with 360hp making a Maro ss with 400 pisses me off

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know the factory speakers are bad, but 12-13 on the speaker volume... you do know you start to effect your hearing at anything above 60 decibels right? 6-7 is plenty loud to even got over the HFC and solo's.
I'm losing my hearing from flying anyway, so turning up the volume isn't going to hurt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you install yourself? Was anything easy to break if you did the install? I did the 651's in the doors, can't make my mind up which center(I thought the PA351's would work but its not a direct(R&R)and I really was debating on a JL bass box like the power wedge or if its not that hard, just replace the stock ones. What about the pyramids on eBay? Their cheap so that scares me. Anyone know?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I paid someone to do mine. They replaced all four door speakers, as well as both subs. I didn't do the front center speaker, or either of the tweeters. Those seem to be working fine, so far, so I probably will leave those alone.

I'm running Kenwood subs off the factory amp, and haven't had any problems with those. There's a lot more bass than there was previously (but it turned out only one sub was working, the other one came out in pieces).

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
you're talking to a wall if you're concerned about the volume over 12 in the stereo section. I used to set it at 25 whithout my amp and subs. Now I'm scared to know what the db is inside.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts