Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined the forum, had our G8 V6 since about Feb. of this year. So far all we have done is add a K&N CAI.

We want to add a catback exhaust setup with longtube headers and high-flow cats. I've been reading on here, mainly from hazer and blackpanther about what they've done with their V6 G8s. So we purchased Solo's mach shorty catback exhaust kit for the V8 (heard that it would bolt right onto the V6), Solo's ultra high flow converters for the V8, and Pacesetter longtube headers for a Camaro SS 3.6.

So... we take it to the exhaust shop yesterday, and he tells us the longtube headers will not fit and the V8 high-flow cats likely won't either. Opinions?? Should I take it elsewhere and see what they say, or do we need other parts? The mechanic yesterday suggested buying shorty headers, but we wanted longtubes. Note, we've never been here before so I don't know how reputable they are.

I can provide part numbers/links of what we bought if necessary, would appreciate any help!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, just joined the forum, had our G8 V6 since about Feb. of this year. So far all we have done is add a K&N CAI.

We want to add a catback exhaust setup with longtube headers and high-flow cats. I've been reading on here, mainly from hazer and blackpanther about what they've done with their V6 G8s. So we purchased Solo's mach shorty catback exhaust kit for the V8 (heard that it would bolt right onto the V6), Solo's ultra high flow converters for the V8, and Pacesetter longtube headers for a Camaro SS 3.6.

So... we take it to the exhaust shop yesterday, and he tells us the longtube headers will not fit and the V8 high-flow cats likely won't either. Opinions?? Should I take it elsewhere and see what they say, or do we need other parts? The mechanic yesterday suggested buying shorty headers, but we wanted longtubes. Note, we've never been here before so I don't know how reputable they are.

I can provide part numbers/links of what we bought if necessary, would appreciate any help!! Thank you!!
Go somewhere else. It's an exhaust shop, not a bolt-on shop. If it doesn't fit, modifying it so it fits, to a reasonable level.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here is my exhaust set up camaro V6 longtubes headers they bolt right up just hang a bit lower then they should. Think a couple guys cut there's a little shorter to bolt up to the aftermarket system I went full custom with h pipe purple horny glass packs and slp loudmouths axle backs

·
OGOC Member
2,601 Posts
It needs a tune.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my exhaust set up camaro V6 longtubes headers they bolt right up just hang a bit lower then they should. Think a couple guys cut there's a little shorter to bolt up to the aftermarket system I went full custom with h pipe purple horny glass packs and slp loudmouths axle backs
I see now, thanks. The shop I went to had to have been wrong. The headers were for a Camaro SS 3.6.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go somewhere else. It's an exhaust shop, not a bolt-on shop. If it doesn't fit, modifying it so it fits, to a reasonable level.
We plan on it now, won't be going back there. It's so hard to find anyone around this area that knows aftermarket parts/wants to do the work.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I see now, thanks. The shop I went to had to have been wrong. The headers were for a Camaro SS 3.6.
Good exhaust shops are going the way of the dinosaur around my area anyway.
Only two I'd trust with anything on my G8.
With the "rarity" of our cars the majority of shops wouldn't know what fits anyway.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the "rarity" of our cars the majority of shops wouldn't know what fits anyway.
Good luck.
Same here unfortunately. Half of the shops will say "you mean G6?" when I call them. And I basically live in the ghetto where no one even has a nice car, there are no performance shops or anything like that around here.

·
Brutus
22 Posts
Same here unfortunately. Half of the shops will say "you mean G6?" when I call them. And I basically live in the ghetto where no one even has a nice car, there are no performance shops or anything like that around here.
LOL.. Fly like a G6. Hellll No. Half my peeps same deal when they see the car, "What is that"
Simply reply .. PONTIAC !

·
Brutus
22 Posts
Good luck.
I called these guys the other day regarding and exhaust for my bike, and his exact quote "We can do pretty much anything"
I have a kind of rare bike where there are no cheap exact bolt ups. And I was like ooohh reallly..

Has anyone checked these guys out or has any feedback regarding?
http://www.gtcustomexhaust.com/

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Wrong end of town for me. In the west end its either Zoro's or Hot Rod Scott.
Zoro's being the most affordable.
HRS is the go to custom guy but charges custom prices too.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Can not go wrong with Zoro they put on my GT headers & their Solo HF cats kit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Subscribe

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also used 3.6 Camaro headers and at least in my experience you have to modify the factory pipes to get them to line up. The G8s setup is “wider”. Luckily for me I run a shop and build exhaust everyday so I lined up the passenger side then cut the drivers side and shortened it to bring it in to line up. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to handle that but key word is competent. I do see where it’d be tight fitting some cats in there but it’s doable. I left mine off and deleted the rear O2s in my tune.

·
OGOC Member
2,601 Posts
I also used 3.6 Camaro headers and at least in my experience you have to modify the factory pipes to get them to line up. The G8s setup is “wider”. Luckily for me I run a shop and build exhaust everyday so I lined up the passenger side then cut the drivers side and shortened it to bring it in to line up. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to handle that but key word is competent. I do see where it’d be tight fitting some cats in there but it’s doable. I left mine off and deleted the rear O2s in my tune.
Hey man there's only a few of us who have upgraded our v6s . but you can do more than you think. I suggest a tune of course. Always happy to help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts