Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Happy to be here. I owned a G8 GT back in 2009 / 2010.... missed that car every day since I sold it.. now I found a GXP with 37K miles... white / automatic... picking up this weekend... but not sure if pricing is ok.... well, good luck to me!

Slash

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Happy to be here. I owned a G8 GT back in 2009 / 2010.... missed that car every day since I sold it.. now I found a GXP with 37K miles... white / automatic... picking up this weekend... but not sure if pricing is ok.... well, good luck to me!

Slash
How much are you getting it for?

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drove it today... car is clean clean clean. However, the air filter bolts/nuts (2 of them) were missing. The complete air filter assembly seemed to have been placed back - perhaps it has a cold air intake in its place and was replaced with the stock assembly but not screwed to the mounts. Plus it was dirty but the rest of the engine was clean.

Also, the crank shaft pulley was wobbling a bit... not sure if normal but found posts about this being “normal” in the LS3 engine.

Their mechanics will be reviewing the list of things I found strange and will get back to me before closing the deal.

Not sure what else to check to figure out if after market stuff was installed then removed before selling.

C

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Drove it today... car is clean clean clean. However, the air filter bolts/nuts (2 of them) were missing. The complete air filter assembly seemed to have been placed back - perhaps it has a cold air intake in its place and was replaced with the stock assembly but not screwed to the mounts. Plus it was dirty but the rest of the engine was clean.

Also, the crank shaft pulley was wobbling a bit... not sure if normal but found posts about this being “normal” in the LS3 engine.

Their mechanics will be reviewing the list of things I found strange and will get back to me before closing the deal.

Not sure what else to check to figure out if after market stuff was installed then removed before selling.

C
Yup. Aftermarket intake was on there. Check the exhaust as well. Possible it had a tune. Would be good if you could get the old parts.
I

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok ... the car was sent to be "repaired" ... crankshaft pulley and seals were replaced. It is ready for another test drive this week. Anything else to check? ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok ... the car was sent to be "repaired" ... crankshaft pulley and seals were replaced. It is ready for another test drive this week. Anything else to check? ...
Check the paint on the bolts (doors/panels/pillars/hood) and see if it's scratched. If it is, then there might be unreported damage because the part itself was taken off... Check if the paint is smooth and consistent. A lot of people rely on Carfax for this kind of stuff but not everything gets reported. Check the underbody for rust as well as the subframe is made of some crappy steel...

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pointers.... will check those when I test drive it over the weekend.

I have a pic of the engine and noticed a red wire that look as if going into the wiring harness of the headlight... any idea what that could be?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks for the pointers.... will check those when I test drive it over the weekend.

I have a pic of the engine and noticed a red wire that look as if going into the wiring harness of the headlight... any idea what that could be?

View attachment 179017 View attachment 179018
The red wire is most likely for HID kit(to power the ballasts).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
G8eraid
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing