Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, newbie here...lol. Just bought a 2008 G8 GT and my rear deck subs are blown. These are the speakers I am looking at getting.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21933_Kicker-C84-10C84.html

Will the ****ty factory amp push those or do I need a more powerful amp? I am not looking to blow the back window out, I just want to have some decent bass. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The factory 8" subs are 2ohm 50watt rated and in a free air setup.
You have a few options:
1. Run them off the factory amp and run the risk of them not being as loud or sounding muddy
2. Remove the subs, put new ones in a box and run a separate amp
3. find free air subs that are 2ohm or dual 4 ohm coils and run off stock amp
4. same as #3 but run them off an aftermarket amp
5. get freaky custom and go crazy with the install.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43593_Kicker-C82-10C82.html

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, being a free air set up, there are few choices. The Kickers in the link I posted are said to work pretty well in a free air set up and they have 100rms 200peak power rating. Im looking to spend no more than $300-350. Any idea what kind of watts the stock amp puts out?

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I believe I read the stock amp is 40 watts per

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
For 350 you can get a decent speaker in a box combo and a small amp. If you do it yourself ,then you got more money to spend on goodies. Hell a decent ten will do these days. I had Rockford power series tens ,two of them . They rocked,I clocked 148.5 db's at a local show and took second. Lost by a fifth of a decibel. I dynamated the car from the doors back, two or three layers. Well point being for the price,one good or decent quality ten or twelve will probably be better then the deck subs . I have been out of the game a few years ,so maybe there are good ones like the kickers but paying a good price for it and less wattage. I'm sure your not trying to go crazy loud ,so I say a ten inch sub ,plus it will be nice tight bass . Guy I knew had two ten inch mtx's in a ported box. Nice tight bass hits and not to crazy. Well just a thought. Welcome aboard . Safe driving.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy at the audio shop tried to set me up with a 10" JL and a JL amp, and said that everything plus install would be about $900. Im like GTFO. He did have a good idea though, by taking out the rear deck subs and using those holes as ports for the 10" in the trunk. Good idea but too much money. Plus I really dont want to take up any trunk space with a box, amp and sub. I had a 350z before this and one of the reasons I went for this car was because of all the extra room. What I think I am going to do is get a 500-600 watt amp and get a pretty decent pair of deck subs and see how it works out. I can get all that on ebay and sonicelectonics.com for about $150-$175, then anothe $150 for the install and thats about my budget. If I dont like it and it sounds like a$$ then I will do another route. What about getting shallow mount subs for the deck and then closing up the holes where the magnet would normally sit in? You guys know what I mean. Kinda making a box with the rear deck?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Feel free to ask about what you plan on buying before you do. Subs and a 500-600 watt amp for 150-175 sounds like you wont be getting very good quality.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
dont waste your time and money with free air.

·
Registered
241 Posts
dont waste your time and money with free air.
I would have to agree.
I would rather have a single 10" or 12" in a box with a decent amp over the free-air 8s. That takes up trunk room, which I don't think the OP wants to do.

To save space it would be really nice to build some enclosures into the factory 8" locations and use a real woofer but that takes skill and/or money.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I had a no name sub or at least unpopular if you will ,in fact I had two. This was six years ago but they where under a hundred a piece and they sounded good and lasted a while . I got a cheaper 1200 watt amp on line for around a hundred and you wouldn't even want that high a wattage for just one sub. Wiring kits are less then a hundred. Theres three hundred bucks with 50 bucks or so to spare if you can do it yourself or have a buddy do it for 50 .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I will look at a shallow mount 10" and a decent amp, that way it doesnt take up too much trunk room. Like I said, I am not looking to get crazy and have people hear me from blocks away, I just want more bass than the factory and more than I have now(none). Has anyone just replaced the factory 8s with something a little better and liked the sound and quality?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Just thinking but if you want a little more noise . Add an enclosure for the stock sub . Zepcom a member/moderator here had done this . I saw it but didnt get a chance to hear it.
Never mind . Forgot u said they where blown. All well

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just thinking but if you want a little more noise . Add an enclosure for the stock sub . Zepcom a member/moderator here had done this . I saw it but didnt get a chance to hear it.

The stock subs are blown. Either way he had to buy new.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Just as I hit send ,I remembered lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never mind . Forgot u said they where blown. All well
Ya, thats what I was saying/thinking earlier. Getting 2 shallow mount 8s and replacing my blown ones and enclosing that somehow. It can't be too difficult right?

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Sub'd. I'm interested in these free flow woofers also but from my research I'm not convinced they provide much of an improvement. Still, the price isn't too bad considering. I don't want to takeup a big portion of my trunk with a huge sub box either. Finding a reasonably priced solution is gonna be tough if you want clean, tight and hard hitting basss.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
[ Ya, thats what I was saying/thinking earlier. Getting 2 shallow mount 8s and replacing my blown ones and enclosing that somehow. It can't be too difficult right? QUOTE]

Dont know of difficulty . That would be a question for zepcom.

·
Registered
241 Posts
[ Ya, thats what I was saying/thinking earlier. Getting 2 shallow mount 8s and replacing my blown ones and enclosing that somehow. It can't be too difficult right? QUOTE]

Dont know of difficulty . That would be a question for zepcom.
It would require some pretty decent fabrication skills and some good power tools. To pay someone to build a box under the package tray would be pretty expensive.

You could also build a somewhat standard rectangular box with the subs in it, remove the old ones, and just attach it to the shelf, using the holes to pass sound through.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts