Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Zero experience with this particular Nexen tire so absolutely no help there. However, just for kicks purchased either a set or pair of another Nexen tire and they were scary. The slightest amount of water would almost cause the front end to "take off" in either direction and they wore very fast in a short amount of time. Perchance these are "better" tires, but I wouldn't put a set of them on a remote-controlled car. Take it for what it's worth as others may have had a different experience.

·
F1rehawk
760 Posts
Nexen is a South Korean brand. I would stay far away from any tire manifactured in Asia. You're not going to get "extra traction" with cheap tires. Do some research.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm a Michelin whore but Bridgestone would be a very close second, nothing wrong with Potensa's.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Nexen is a South Korean brand. I would stay far away from any tire manifactured in Asia. You're not going to get "extra traction" with cheap tires. Do some research.
Hankook makes tires that aren't bad in price/performance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just on a side note. Went to the track for the first time last Friday. Black Friday ! Temp was just around 40* I ran a best time of 13.26 [email protected] 105 mph. 2 runs of 13.29 and a 13.33. Best 60' time was 2.010 I was extremely surprised as I have Antares Ingens A1 tires with some mileage that came on the car when I bought it back in June. Looking forward to doing my dod delete over the winter and needing much more traction next year.;)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
When you have a 13 second car that traps 105, it doesn't matter what tires you have. Once you do your cam and supporting mods, it will. You'll be able to tell when you pick up 10 mph trap speed but your 60' and et don't improve much. Save some money in the budget for drag radials.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the input. Might try the Potenza RE-71R. Anyone with feedback on these ?
These are the go-to 200 treadware tire for auto-X. They're sticky but don't expect them to last like a typical street tire would.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Since it seems a post can't be edited once a certain amount of time has passed, disregard post number three. The brand in mind is NAKANG and not Nexen.

·
F1rehawk
760 Posts
Since it seems a post can't be edited once a certain amount of time has passed, disregard post number three. The brand in mind is NAKANG and not Nexen.
Oh those are even worse. Scary times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GTR Do you have actual experience with either of these two brands or are you just stating your opinion without any actual experience ? Just asking

·
F1rehawk
760 Posts
GTR Do you have actual experience with either of these two brands or are you just stating your opinion without any actual experience ? Just asking
I had a few friends back in college that were using Nankang on their sport cars and they were terrible. Thread life was weak and rain behaviour was pretty bad.

Remember, you always pay for what you get. Start cutting corners and you'll see pretty fast what I'm talking about.

It's like the Winter Claws on my Cavalier beater, not the best tires. But cheap yes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. Thanks for your opinion. As stated in post #1 and in the title of the discussion, I’m looking for a little extra launch traction. And was looking at the Nexen sur4g tire. Not Nankang and not really looking for tread life or rain/ wet performance. Looking for some extra traction when I go quarter mile dragging. Thanks

·
F1rehawk
760 Posts
Then save up and go drag radials for much improved traction. As stated above, Continentals and Michelin will give you some better grip too.

Again, cheap chinese tires won't do much for traction.

·
F1rehawk
760 Posts
But eh, maybe that particular model is better than anything they have made so far. 🤷

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just did some research on the tires and seems to do extremely well against competition in the same class. I used to work at a tire shop and when federal 595 rs-RR came out; all the drifters, time attack guys really liked the grip and price point. (Federal was also known as the typical dirt cheap tire brand to stay away from as well)

These are definitely not cheap and I'm near positive they will be a good performer. However, I honestly would go with the proven M/T ET street radials as a first choice and the nitto Nt555r & Nt05R Drag spec radials as my second and third choice drag radials.

Just to be clear, I was researching these:

Nexen
N FERA SUR4G DRAG SPEC

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your input dragtek1. Unfourtunately that tire only comes in 20". It's the official tire of the dodge hellcat I believe. Trying to stay with stock 19x8 wheels but that may not be an option as there are no dr's to fit. I'll have to see how traction limited my car becomes after I do my mods. Probably have to go with aftermarket wheels. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts