Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I m going to the drag strip tomorrow to test out my drag radials. My previous best was 13.03 @ 108 with a 2.0 60 ft time. Only changes are less humidity projected and a set of drag radials. With the stock converer launching at 1500 I m praying for a 1.8x. Really hoping to crack into the 12s.

I am getting a Dod delete done in the fall, looking into a little lunati plus cam.
But after that is my question what would you guys do head work at the same time as the cam swap or 3600 converter. I have no plans of ever supercharging the car. A set of 3.45 gears are on the list I'm just dead set against paying 1 k and that seems to be the popular price point of a camaro rear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update best pass 12.99 @ 107.62 temps were about 80 degrees low humidity DA was 2100ft. 35 PSI in tires light dry hop 1500 rpm launch. Not too happy.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
First LS3 heads flow well enough that your going to need more cam than a little Lunati before putting money into the heads is going to make a big difference. The converter will definitely be your best use of money. Second,if you're going to do a Converter I would go with a little more than the little Lunati. You might as well take advantage of having the converrter and get a cam that needs it. Check out my signature for my build, I chose the Little Lunati because it doesn't require a converter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a set of 3.45 rear end pumpkin gears,next mod ready.

·
11 second bolt-on car!
212 Posts
You might get your 1.8x 60' with the new gears. That is a lofty goal on the stock converter and gears.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Getting close to a 1.89 60' can be challenging with stock gears and converter, headers/Vararam/tune. It is its own little race inside a race. I can't remember ever seeing a 1.8x on stock gears and converter, even with DRs...but I could be wrong. Main thing is to have fun trying! After all, you own a car that runs in the 12's! How many of your friends wish they had that? Try the converter switch and see how that helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Definitely go stall over heads if you're looking to improve your track times. Gears are fun but that stall will really help drop your 60s. My experience has been right in-line with the saying for every tenth in the 60 you cut, I've improved two tenths in ET. I was exhaust/3.45s/tune running 12.85/1.90 60s, added small stall and dropped to 1.71-1.72 60s and got down to 12.46-12.50 consistently.

Good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided to buy a set of GMPP CNC LS3 heads, Ace Performance is installing a set of 1515ml valve springs with titanium retainers and milling them .30 over. Hopefully they ll make good power with a 219/223 612/619 112 cam.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Decided to buy a set of GMPP CNC LS3 heads, Ace Performance is installing a set of 1515ml valve springs with titanium retainers and milling them .30 over. Hopefully they ll make good power with a 219/223 612/619 112 cam.
So you spent $1200+ for a mod which may get you an extra tenth when you could have cut your time by at least 3 times that amount if you followed the advice given for a converter. If you are like me and don't care about strip times with tires you never use on the street maybe this was the right choice. Will be interesting to see what it does at the track especially since we have similar cams. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great point Doug, it was a bit of an impulse buy, at this time the car is a daily driver and I thought that the cnc gmpp heads would offer me the best bang for the buck with 0 downtime. I guess ultimately I wanted the heads to complement the ported intake and new cam giving me power throughout the rev range. My dad and I talked about 'finishing' the engine-DOD portion of the build up before moving on. I feel that a 3600 stall would only benefit me at the track and might lose me some at the moment mpg. I plan on a converter/trans cooler next year. It was a tough call Rick Crawford had a PTC he offered me that would be perfect, again a bit of an impulse but it took me 4 years to get a converter in my Grand National.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doug do you have porting/mill work done?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Great point Doug, it was a bit of an impulse buy, at this time the car is a daily driver and I thought that the cnc gmpp heads would offer me the best bang for the buck with 0 downtime. I guess ultimately I wanted the heads to complement the ported intake and new cam giving me power throughout the rev range. My dad and I talked about 'finishing' the engine-DOD portion of the build up before moving on. I feel that a 3600 stall would only benefit me at the track and might lose me some at the moment mpg. I plan on a converter/trans cooler next year. It was a tough call Rick Crawford had a PTC he offered me that would be perfect, again a bit of an impulse but it took me 4 years to get a converter in my Grand National.
Doug do you have porting/mill work done?
That was Ken (Dousail2) that was responding but I'll jump in! My heads are ported by Rick but not milled as I'm supercharged. I would agree on the stall, it will definitely get you more at the strip. On the other hand, putting the heads on now while the engine is apart anyway is not a bad way to go but pricey compared to the stall. I think the stall will not hurt mpg too much if it's fairly tight but Rick could comment better than I on that. I don't mind a stall that it tight so it's not revving all over the place from a stop as it does with a loose one. A tight one is not bad; I rode in one tonight that was really good.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
If you have any intentions of doing a stall, do it at the same time you do the cam and get a cam that complements it.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
That was Ken (Dousail2) that was responding but I'll jump in! My heads are ported by Rick but not milled as I'm supercharged. I would agree on the stall, it will definitely get you more at the strip. On the other hand, putting the heads on now while the engine is apart anyway is not a bad way to go but pricey compared to the stall. I think the stall will not hurt mpg too much if it's fairly tight but Rick could comment better than I on that. I don't mind a stall that it tight so it's not revving all over the place from a stop as it does with a loose one. A tight one is not bad; I rode in one tonight that was really good.
So yes i did the heads locally so no porting just milled .035 which gets you more than porting will if you are using a mild cam like we are. Again as I said earlier, if you were planing on a converter I would have gone with a little more cam and like Doug said use a lower stall for a DD like A 2800 or tight 3200 and mileage won't be a problem. My son has a stoked (402) with a 3200 triple disk and healthy cam and still gets 22 on the highway with 3.45 gears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts