Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to change my spark plugs so I was doing a little snooping around. It seems lots of guys use NGK TR5's, or 5IX's for Irridiums....... I found this interesting info at NGK Canada which seems to say we should be using the colder TR7 (IX) with even minor mods.......
Check it out

http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/products-spark-plugs.cfm

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
The internet experts will have you believe Iridium is the only way to go but I strongly disagree. The good ole copper TR5 or TR55 works excellent. They don't last quite as long as the Iridium but they're also 1/4 the price. Plug changes on G8's are easy. Go with the copper.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When my car was brand new I wanted to take the plugs out and put some never seize on the threads. There was a lot of talk about the NGK TR5 Iridium's at that time so I got a set NGK's and put them in. I didn't except the new plugs to have a prefect gap but I was amazed how far off the factory plug gaps were. I have a few good sets of feeler gauges and they all read the same.

·
Registered
366 Posts
tr6

nitrous, or n/a, they work great and are cheap.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
If you have a little KR, a colder plug can get a little more heat out of the chamber and may stop the knocking, and the associated timing retard. That can make a few HP. If you have no knock, you won't make any more power, and just loose gas mileage for your trouble. We learned this with the supercharged 3800's.
Scan first. No knock, you do not need to change heat ranges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts