Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some NGK TR5 (copper) plugs. They come pre-gapped at 0.040 but should I double check that amount making sure they are all the same? Or should I change that gap setting?

Mods are in signature if that makes any difference on what my sparkplugs should be gapped to.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Always a good idea to just make sure all of them are the same, for peace of mind. Any reason not going with the OE iridium?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
.040 should be fine unless FI, nitrous or big cams are involved. I went with TR60gp plugs and regapped them to .040 - running great.
by the way, the number system for NGK plugs includes a "gp" suffix for platinum, "ix" suffix for iridium, and no suffix for copper.
higher cylinder heat caused by increased pressure or nitrous can cause the iridium plug tips to melt.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the copper TR5's because they are cheap $25 shipped from marylandspeed. They need to be replaced (I think) 15-20k miles but ive heard they are great performance plugs.

Yes factory iridium or NGK iridium last much longer and are great plugs but these copper plugs have good reviews, cheap, overall good performance so I thought id try them out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts