Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I've had my headers on for about 8,000 miles I have noticed my tips have gotten pretty stained. I polished the heck out of them prior to install just for the sake of it, but I do let the car warm up regularly during morning starts and they have turned a bronze-ish color. Is it even worth polishing them again or is this going to be a constant issue? Think I may be running a tad rich?

Catless BTW.

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
I have read that there is no way and no product that will help exhaust tips from carboning up/sooting/staining-whatever.

What I have read is that the only thing one can do is every night, after parking the car, to take a damp rag and wipe the tips off. Keeping up with them is the only consensus as to how to prevent the staining.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have some stuff in my tool box that takes it off. I'll get a picture of it this afternoon. It don't prevent it from staining and such, but it does make it easy to remove it.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Check into a small silver tub named "NevrDull"

It does amazing things, but you DO have to keep up with it.

Like smokers who smoke in their house for 25+ years, you get a non-smoker to come over and they are amazed at how "coated" everything is. Your non-cat exhaust system is doing the same, alebit just on the tips of your exhaust system, and the environment.

Try the nevrdull stuff, I have it and it's amazing. But it does also require elbow grease.

·
Grand Prix Guy
272 Posts
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works like a champ. Every wash I take it to the tips and after 20K miles my solos look like new. Takes all of 1 minute a tip.
Tate

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
583 Posts
Never Dull works great. Then sometimes I follow that with Mothers metal polish and they turn out awesome. I will have to try the magic erasers. Sounds like they work really well.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Love Nev-r-Dull. Use it all the time. Short of getting cats installed you'll just have to keep up with them more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
This stuff is magic, I swear by it.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow, just used magic eraser tonight and it was super easy. I highly recommend it.

I also tried some "0000" steel wool on only the inside and that worked very well too. Just follow up with some polish and they look new!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts