Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We recently reported on rumors that Chevrolet is planning to bring back the Caprice full-sized sedan, based on the RWD Holden Statesman. This, however, is being denied by the folks at Holden, with Emily Perry, the Australian automaker's communications director, commenting that "We have no plans to export that vehicle as a civilian car at this stage."

GM had already announced a police interceptor based on the Statesman and sold as a Caprice to police agencies in North America, and recently even added the Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) Detective Package to the list.

Interestingly, Perry wasn't as unequivocal when it came to the question of the Commodore returning to the U.S. (sold in North America as the Pontiac G8 from 2008-09). Former Holden marketing director Mark Reuss had commented in the past that the company was looking for ways to salvage something from the G8 program and it has been suggested that GM may be looking to build a small prestige brand of RWD cars within the larger Chevy brand, much like what Hyundai has done with the Genesis.

The entire return of the G8/Commodore seems extremely unlikely however, with an all new platform due out in 2012, meaning that GM would have to act soon in bringing a rear-drive Holden back to the U.S., before the architecture becomes obsolete.

More: No Chevy Caprice for North America Say Holden Sources on AutoGuide.com

·
G8 Seller
415 Posts
Weak sauce GM... The more I sell your vehicles for you the more I question why I shouldn't walk over to our VW store and sell VeeDubs.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Weak sauce GM... The more I sell your vehicles for you the more I question why I shouldn't walk over to our VW store and sell VeeDubs.
Because then you'd have to deal with the kind of people who buy VeeDubs? I don't know about up there, but down here they are not an impressive group.

·
Premium Member
4,520 Posts
Too good to be true. I knew it. So the search continues for those ever-elusive car parts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmm. If I was a small police department and wanted to buy a dozen or so of the Caprices, could I then turn around and sell the "surplus" for more than I paid?

"Podunk Police Motors: Our competition can't touch our prices, because we have no competition." or "Get Out of Jail Free card with every sale."

Generates revenue for the municipality and fills a demand for a product all at once, it's a win win.

·
Registered
673 Posts
A guy at work was saying you should be able to order a cop version at the dealer- apparently you can do this with a crown Vic. You do get rubber floors, crap seats, etc... Anyone know if there is any truth in that?

·
G8 Seller
415 Posts
Because then you'd have to deal with the kind of people who buy VeeDubs? I don't know about up there, but down here they are not an impressive group.

Around here it is mostly females, Hispanic families, and Polish people who come to the VW store. All, especially the females, are pretty easy and fun to deal with.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Around here it is mostly females, Hispanic families, and Polish people who come to the VW store. All, especially the females, are pretty easy and fun to deal with.
:rolleyes:

Jesus.

Or people who like getting 40mpg in a wagon that can haul their family?

Where I live lots of folks (fellow software engineers, many who could by a dealership if they wanted to) drive VW every day. They keep the Lotus or Atom for the track.

One thing is clear, GM just doesn't "get it" yet. No single "silver bullet" (which they think is the Volt) will do it.

I look at Ford. They get it. A complete spectrum of cars, all fresh. Maybe GM just needs to fire all their old fart excutards and hire some aerospace guy?

·
G8 Seller
415 Posts
:rolleyes:

Jesus.

Or people who like getting 40mpg in a wagon that can haul their family?
LOL! Sorry I had to give a reason like that. Common sense would not have been enough.

TDi FTW!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
TDI is not that bad. It does what it was intended and very well. I would not mind to have a Diesel like that. Beats the Prius on performance and more. :D

If someone comes out with a Cell that all you do is add water to it, gives you about a 400 Mile range and does not fades out on power output I would go electric. No because is Eco-whatever, no because of been a tree hugger, just for the simple matter that electric motors have higher power to weight ratio and much simpler.

But as is right now, liquid fuel is the most convenient way, not the most efficient way.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The gentleman who started this site and LS1GTO now owns two TDI vehicles (Jetta wagon and Toureg)...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts