Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the stickie about the different stock GM cams and have a question about running an LS3 cam with DoD still active. I read somewhere that the stock came is as follows:

STOCK 200/208 .472/.479 116.25LSA, 116.75 intake centerline
AFM cylinders have slightly different grind (a bit taller) to accommodate additional compliance of AFM parts --intent is lift event equivalence.

If this is the case, replacing the stock came with an LS3 cam (or any other Non-DoD cam) will result in the AFM cylinders valve train having slightly differrnt lift, right? I guess one could change the length of the pushrods to make up for this.

I guess it would be nice to know if anyone has had good results with an LS3 cam for greater than 50K miles, and if the rod lengths were adjusted? Im trying to come up with a plan for a DD and want to keep DoD. PatG will most likely be my answer.

Side note: It would have been nice if GM kept the grind the same and figured out the lift event equivalence with the valve train. :slap: Would have eliminated the need for custom grind DoD cams.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So.. Is a custom grind DoD cam the best way to go? When running a LS2 or LS3 cam do 4 of the cylinders run/perform differently than the other 4? Doesn't this make tuning more difficult when everything is not the same?

Any input would be great.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You don't want to use a non-DOD cam with a DOD system in general because the lift is too high for the DOD lifters and it will break things. I don't know what the specs are for the LS3 cam but I would have Pat G or Rick Crawford spec you one for DOD and your goals. A search will probably give you tons more info on DOD and non-DOD.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to here it from someone else. People rock the LS3 cams .... I'm just not sure why.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Rick has actually installed a ls3 cam in a dod g8 with good results. Can more power be made with a custom cam? Yes! But if you were determined to run an inexpensive factory cam the answer is that it is possible. I can't tell you about the long term effects, I dont believe anyone can yet. PM me in 50k and ill let you know.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that an LS2 or LS3 cam can be installed and gain good power but I was trying to point out the lift issue. I wonder if Rick or others that have done this have changed the valve train to result in "lift event equivalence"? It seems to me it would be a good idea? I don't know. I was just thinking and wondering. Don't get me wrong, I hope in 50K miles your car is still running stronger than ever.

By the time I get around to a cam my goals will probably be different....and DoD will be out.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If Rick did it, I would have lots of confidence in it. My DOD is still active and just fine after over 100k miles now and around 60k miles supercharged if my memory is correct. Some have had issues with the DOD but other have had lifter failures with the standard lifters too so I think if you've got a good set, DOD or not, reliability is good.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I wonder if Rick or others that have done this have changed the valve train to result in "lift event equivalence"? It seems to me it would be a good idea?
I know has changed out his rockers to 1.85 ratio to get higher lift out of the lower lift DOD cam; I'm not sure of anything else you could do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does your Lunati came have the same lobe geometry for every cylinder? Or was it ground to have a different geometry (higher lift) for the AFM cylinders? I think it's awesome that your setup still has DoD by the way.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Does your Lunati came have the same lobe geometry for every cylinder? Or was it ground to have a different geometry (higher lift) for the AFM cylinders? I think it's awesome that your setup still has DoD by the way.
It wouldn't have different lift for the AFM cylinders as far as I'm aware; it may have a custom ramp though for how fast it ramps from closed to open to closed but I'm not sure. Rick would have to comment on that one; it was a cam he had in his car at one time.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
My custom spec'd DOD cam seems to be playing very nicely with the DOD hardware, and is making excellent power and times at the track. The only thing I think holding my car back is that I had to make it smogable and could not go bigger.

I went with a custom spec'd DOD cam that was ground on a VVT core with special lobes for the DOD lifters because I wanted to insure DOD survival when at the time this car was my daily driver. I'm sure with proper valve control you can run a non DOD cam, but I don't think you would want to spin that cam to high.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, let me know when you want to sell that cam Yeti. If you go dod delete in the future. Did you only replace the springs to install that cam? new rockers? lifters? rods?

It's kinda crazy but minus the gears and brembo's your sig matches the build I'm planning kinda close. Your track time is ridiculous for a dod cam also. 75 cruising.. whats you mpg?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts