Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen two SOM G8 GTs in two days, both of them different cars. Talk about rare beasts, I think only 900 odd SOM G8s were built total, and about 2/3 of them were GTs. To see two of them in Puget Sound back to back? WOW!

First: Sighting on I-5 Southbound off of the Everett Broadway exit. We both headed southbound on Broadway, I was stuffed behind some slow driving morons and then came up on the G8 at the bottom fo the ramp. It is debadged on the rear and appeared to have non-factory rims with tinted, windows, we gave each other a thumbs up.

Second: Sighting in West Seattle on California on Saturday about 3:30 PM. Car was parked near the husky, this one had no front license plate or holes even drilled for it, but had the rear badges. Had the factory 19" rims and windows tinted.

Anyone here we know???

I wish SOM had been a 2009 color, I would have gotten one in a heartbeat!

·
The Ultimate Muscle Car!
309 Posts
I see the northend one from time to time. Used to see it about once a week coming from Arlington.

Saw it one day in the Albertsons parking lot in Lake Stevens. Was kind of a bummer because ours was in the shop (was rear ended), and we were driving a rental-KIA Sportage.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You guys should check out pnwg8.com cause there's a few of us that meet up weekly in Puyallup at Krispy Kreme. We are also planning on a meet in Portland on April 18th. If you guys are interested you're more than welcome to come.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Puyallup is too far and SH-167 has way too many gravel trucks on it. Never mind dealing with Friday evening Puget Sound traffic to go to KK. I like hanging out with you guys but driving over 50 miles and most of it in Friday evening rush hour and post-rush hour traffic? No thanks.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Dave, are you talking about IOM, Ignition Orange Metallic? We have one signed up on PNW G8 Club, hasn't been to a GTG yet, but at least we know he's out there! Oh, and the secret with the gravel trucks is, don't drive behind them!:wink2:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. I had Sunset Orange Metallic on the Chevy Avalanche on my brain apparently.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The north end one is mine. Well when I pry it from my wifes hands. It is debadged and has smoked windows and smoked tail lights. It has 41,000 miles on it and she drives frequently between Everett Boeing and Seattle Boeing during work hours. I thought I had the only SOM in the State according to DOL. I will double check and see where the other one is or if there are more now. She mentioned giving a white G8 GT the thumbs up. I asked her how she knew it was a GT and she said it had four tailpipes. My GT has the cloth interior, but has the sunroof. Kind of odd. I've only added Magnaflows to it. All my energy and money is going to a body off restoration of my 70 SS/RS 350 4speed Camaro right now. Eventually the G8 will get more attention.

·
Registered
32 Posts
By the way, not a day goes by that someone is trying to catch up to it with their mouth open. It actually is pretty irritating when everyone rolls their window down on I-5 and yells, "What is that"? I should have left the badges on:)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well howdy back to your wife. I know there is a V6 IOM G8 around, I saw that one at least a year ago, maybe a tad more back.

I know that one of the other guys has a sunroof equipped cloth interior 2008 GT, so not completely unusual. My registration says my car is red when its white, intend to get that fixed when my registration gets renewed, have no idea why that is.

Mine is debadged also - fair number of mods, mostly "show" and not "go."

You should bring your G8 down to Lynnwood on a Friday afternoon/evening sometime. There is a gathering of cars that gets together there from about 3PM until 7PM depending on weather, warmth, etc. etc. Sometimes there is 100+ cars easily.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to bring my Camaro down to Taco Time by Kompac Kar Korner. Where do they do it now? 13.37 in the 1/4 mile? I would say you have some"go". I want to take it to Bremerton Raceway soon.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup. That group has moved to 196th/44th in Lynnwood by the Taco Time located there.

I ran the 13.37 last fall with a tune only and 104 Octane in the gas tank. I have a Volant now, the dyno tests from Superchips were showing a 34HP increase (IIRC) at the axle. I'm thinking with better track conditions and if the Volant delivers I can get to 13.1x or 13.0x. I'd be very happy with that. Need to work on my 60' times also, might be another 1/10 of a second to be found if I can get a better launch (or do a shallow stage and get a rolling start over the trap).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice. I will get into the G8 with some bolt on stuff later when the Camaro is done. Then again, my wife isnt too happy with the exhaust drone and says nothing more can be done to it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to try out the Solo Exhaust with the J tubes, depending on the feedback from the first group of buyers. They're claiming they've solved the drone issue using a Helmoltz chamber while getting a good V8 growl. I've done the 1/2 washer mod, I don't drive my G8 much so not worried about corrosion. I like the sound, especially upon start, drone is tolerable Also, stuffing your spare tire well with some pillows can help I've read. Ya I know, very ghetto, but there is next to nothing in the spare tire well but a chunk of styrofoam to hold the air compressor. You can fit a fullsize 19" rim and tire with a jack kit in there and room to spare!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts