1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Well that sux.

·
Registered
648 Posts
My stock cam was in good shape when it came out, but that bearing looks familiar.

Don't know how far you plan to go with the engine, but the machine shop I use was able to install new cam bearings while the short block was all still assembled. $125 included Durabond HP bearings and labor.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately the two rods that i pulled the caps on tell me that the metal was processed through the oiling system and the whole thing is coming apart for cleaning and inspect. I think at this point the minimum i could get away with is bearings and rings. still wanna find which piston skirt was knocking around when cold.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Connecting Rod Journals all mic'd out at 2.100" no variances. Bearing had scratches.
Pistons all were beat, Black coating on skirts was gone so in the trash they go.
Mic'd the bores.....4.0002 was the worst one. 123000 miles or so and I can still see the cross hatch in the bores. Crank is next....
So I am hoping a good hot tank cleaning, Cam bearings, Pistons, Rods and mains and we are back on track.
Should I gap the rings for forced induction, Just in case?
What could it hurt?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is that cam bearing the position that the cam has that great big , thanks for nothin we don't have variable cam timing, groove ?

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
:grin2: as it's nothing quite like turning bolts on your vehicle(s). Any other planned repairs or modifications to the G8?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installing an Oil Pressure gauge and wide band O2 gauge. New stereo console conversion in future would be nice as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts