Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I was geting code P0011 A camshaft position - timing over advanced or system performance (Bank 1)
poor idle,bit down on performance,has a start-up rattle
Well I just replaced the timing chains idler sprockets ect..
now its throwing a P0008 code
i run a diagnostic on the motor while running and seems the timing is fluctuating
between -1.5 , 0-0 , +1.5
could this be a Failed camshaft position sensor or camshaft position actuator solenoid ?

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Interesting that the service manual says to first check if any maint has been performed in that area. It says it is sensing an incorrectly installed secondary timing chain on the bank 1 side and sets the fault code P0008. It also says that it *will not* set that code (P0008), if either the sensor or solenoid for that bank of cams should should become faulty.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Interesting that the service manual says to first check if any maint has been performed in that area. It says it is sensing an incorrectly installed secondary timing chain on the bank 1 side and sets the fault code P0008. It also says that it *will not* set that code (P0008), if either the sensor or solenoid for that bank of cams should should become faulty.
Absolutely true. P0008 is strictly an out of spec correlation between the cam and crank positions. The timing chain is not installed properly or has skipped teeth due to a tensioner problem maybe?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I had the dreaded P0008 code and it was the chains I just had them replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was the camshaft position actuator solenoids and thats where the bad start-up rattle was coming from ,the solenoids..

·
Registered
1 Posts
P008 and P0009 Codes

December 13th (Friday), my 2008 G8 with 101,000 miles set the P008 code. My local Chevy dealer diagnosed stretched timing chains. The chains were replaced under the extended warranty I bought exactly three months earlier when I bought the car from the same dealer. When the car was put back together, the P008 and P0009 code came back.
They tore it down again and found the camshaft reluctor wheel and crankshaft reluctor wheel had both spun and were off by two teeth.
So, long story short, 21 days later and a $5666 repair bill, all is good. And the best part was all it cost me was the $100 deductible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts