Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had the pleasure of driving a MSM M6 GXP since July '09. I have had the added pleasure of picking up a Panther Black A6 in Oklahoma (thanks, Eric!) a few months ago and driving it the 1300 miles back to the fort here in Dover. No, I'm not a gazillionaire. The M6 is going up for sale shortly (for 35K, if interested). Here are some thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Even though I've driven stick since age 16 (40 years ago), I'm by no means a professional who knows how to rip through the gears to get the optimal speed increase down the road. Perhaps for that reason:

2. I have personally found that the A6 is QUICKER than the M6. My first indication of this occurred just a few miles into my trek back to DE from OK. I was on two lane HWY 60 just east of Bartlesville (Speed Limit: 65. God I love that part of the country!) coming up on two 18-wheelers going about 60. So I punched it. Not a 100% floor masher, but rather, say, 75%. Next thing I know, those trucks were gone in a blur, and as I moved back into the travel lane I glanced down at the speedometer and saw the needle slowly easing down from 110 mph. Now I assume all of you have been up and beyond that speed, whether in your M6 or A6. But I have never gotten there that fast- that quick- in my M6. That being said,

3. For pure driving pleasure, I absolutely love the M6 over the A6, and I'm gonna really miss that as I sell it and keep the Panther. There's nothing more power-trip inducing than working your way up the gears at your discretion to get the maximum purr sounds out of that LS3. (Especially when you're cruising by the ladies!) You just don't get that same "high" with an A6. That being said, part II:

4. I'm NOT going to miss the M6 in traffic jams. This I too found out on my trip home with the A6. I got stuck in a nasty jam (90 minutes over a freakin' one mile stretch) in St. Louis, and as I nudged along in my newly-bought A6, I thought about the similar experiences I had coming to and from Bettendorf a few years ago with my M6. Foremost was the nightmare coming back and driving through Indy. Talk about a pain-in-the-ass that was made more so by the two-three hours of shifting up and down on the M6. Sure, St. Louis sucked even with my A6, but not like Indy with my manual. Not gonna miss that.

So that's it. There's my two cents. So you might ask why I switched to begin with. Well, I've always wanted the Panther Black, and I always wanted the Red/Onyx interior. Back in July '09 the GXPs were all but gone and beggars couldn't be choosy, so I took what the dealer had available. No regrets with the original choice, just happier with the new one!

Attachments

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
I agree totally with your excellent post.

Between traffic and convenience and the fact that if I want to row through some gears the Active Shift does it for me with no clutch. '

If there was never going to be any traffic anywhere, I'd go with a stick-shift, but sadly, there is just way too much traffic in my neck of the woods to deal with an M6.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Nice write up. But I cant really agree with you on the A6 being quicker. If you can row gears, the M6 is quicker.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Those that give up M6 for the convenience of the A6 just show that they didn't care enough about a manual to begin with. I went the other way after getting bored with my A6 GT (which I modded to be faster than my currently stock GXP). All my previous cars since 2000 were manual.

I don't have 40 years of manual driving under my belt, but 13 years should be a sufficient enough time frame to know 100% exactly what I want.

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
Still lots of back and forth on M6/A6, even here. :)

I wouldn't think the manual would actually be slower for passing unless the A6 gets the engine into its sweet spot better or else downshifts to a lower gear more regularly. Then again, the 3.27 in the A6 GXP combined with the gear ratios of the 6L80E likely do make for rather nice acceleration. First gear in the A6 through the GT's 2.92 rear end already makes for a first gear that equals the M6 GXP's first gear ratio even with the 3.70 rear end.

And for regular traffic, agreed, an automatic really can't be beat. Doesn't stop me running a manual, though. :D

·
218 Posts
I agree totally with your excellent post.

Between traffic and convenience and the fact that if I want to row through some gears the Active Shift does it for me with no clutch. '

If there was never going to be any traffic anywhere, I'd go with a stick-shift, but sadly, there is just way too much traffic in my neck of the woods to deal with an M6.
I don't think there is worse traffic anywhere in the US (maybe Hawaii) than in my neck of the woods and I have no problems driving my M6.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I absolutely miss having my M6 WS6. One big reason I have been kicking around a CTSV is to get into a stick shift again. If my car wasnt almost paid off I think I would have done it. That said, my GT is the first car I have owned that was an automatic. It drives like a dream and I like it better than my brothers cts4 for pure ride and driving experience. I think putting a Maggie on my car soon will enhance that:)

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Where in St. Louis were you stuck? If it was on 270 during rush hour, than it's your own damn fault. Haha

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, I was eastbound on 64 around 8 o'clock at night when I got jammed up just before crossing the Mississippi. The road crew was positioning some cement dividers and when I eventually got up to where they were working I saw they were only letting a dozen or so cars through at a time. I was the last car they let through before they stopped traffic again. I didn't know they were doing this for sure until I looked in my rearview mirror and saw there was absolutely no traffic coming up behind me for as long as I kept looking. Sheesh!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Nope, I was eastbound on 64 around 8 o'clock at night when I got jammed up just before crossing the Mississippi. The road crew was positioning some cement dividers and when I eventually got up to where they were working I saw they were only letting a dozen or so cars through at a time. I was the last car they let through before they stopped traffic again. I didn't know they were doing this for sure until I looked in my rearview mirror and saw there was absolutely no traffic coming up behind me for as long as I kept looking. Sheesh!
The Poplar Street bridge? Yea there's always construction going on on that. It's a huge main artery going in and out of downtown.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Auto and manual trannies have their weaknesses and strong points. Just depends on your weaknesses and strong points on what will be best for you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I drive for an hour and a half in traffic every single day. Driving a stick in that would have broken me. I wish I had an M6 for fun drives, but the A6 was a much more practical (ha) choice for me overall.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Until I bought my '02 Bonneville I was driving cars with manual transmissions for 25 years. One reason I bought the M6 was because I missed it so much. Yes it's a pain in the butt in traffic, but at least the clutch is not very stiff, compared to a lot of Pontiacs I drove in the past. But unless I drive it every day, if I want to get on it as fast as possible, I find myself thinking what gear should I downshift to, instead of just doing it without thinking. I test drove a GT before I bought the M6 and I like the M6 a lot better. Plus with the new SS lacking the stick shift option, it makes this car one of the few performance sedans with an M6.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I thought the stock best times where a 12.8 for the A6 and 13 flat for the M6. The Manual is definitely more fun.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The A6 is faster. You can't outshift a properly tuned A6.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I love threads like this... I've owned G8's with the 6L80, TH400 and now the TR-6060. The M6 is a blast to drive even if it sucks in traffic, it might not be as fast at the track but the other 99% of the time its more fun.

The 4 fastest G8's dont have A6's. Technicality I know... haha

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
^^^^^ If anyone with an A6 thinks it doesn't shift fast enough, get a Rick C trans tune. There isn't an M6 driver in the world that can shift anywhere near as fast as a properly tuned A6 where the torque management has been removed.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I agree with this post 100%. I sold my cammed GT because I got bored with the A6. But after owning my M6 for almost a year now, I can appreciate the A6 much more. The M6 is more fun, but I realize that I rarely do spirited driving on my regular commutes. Spend quite a bit of time in traffic...going uphill and trying to steal a sip of my coffee while shifting. The M6 just doesn't fit my driving style (lazy). After my GXP sells and i get back from japan, i'll be looking into an A6 GXP or CTSV. I will say though, some folks are talented enough to do all the little things while shifting and have calf muscles built for stop and go traffic. just not this guy ---> ME

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wish they sold the GT in an M6. I can't stand this clunky A6. Sure when you get on it, it shifts well, but in stop and go traffic it can't find a gear to save it's life. I'm not sure it it was because it was my slow, simple clutch Civic or what, but I'd take my old 5 speed in traffic over this 6L80 any day.
The only thing that makes me what to sell my G8 is the A6!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wish they sold the GT in an M6. I can't stand this clunky A6.
A good transmission tune can take care of the 'Clunky' part. We have a G8 member here in Tampa that has put countless hours into his own transmission tune, and it is hands down probably one of the best around.

I sit in traffic, at least 45 minutes each way, every workday, and I traded up from a A6 to a M6. I don't regret it yet, but I do feel like I actually own a sports car now. The A6 was ok, but after I auto-x'ed it twice, it was downright boring. I used to Auto-X several times a year. Now, with the M6, I'm excited again! Going to Auto-X it tomorrow...if the weather holds up.

We do learn to make concessions for the things we like. Dealing with Traffic to enjoy the Road Courses, etc...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts