Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a purchase of a pair of Kappa 62.9i mostly to replace the rear two stock speakers that were dying/rattling. After further thought it made more sense to put the new speakers in the front and push the stockers back to the rear. After a bit of research it appears they're not 100% identical speakers (stock rear/front). Will that work or am I crazy? Thanks for help!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
i didn't know they weren't identical. If you're going to take all the doors off though, just spend the extra coin and do new kappas all the way around. We're talking like $60 iirc? Or better yet put components up front.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're about $81 with the harness. Probably should bite that but some said it was overkill in the back. What are components?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Front speakers are components or three way speakers(mids and lows in one speaker with your separate tweeter giving you the highs). The rear doors are coaxials or two way speakers (highs and mids in one speaker). They are the same size though. The front and rear door speakers are 6.5". This explanation is a little over simplified, but gets the point across I think.

Component vs Coaxial

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So ideally I would want to maintain that setup versus buying all around the same infinity speakers?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
So ideally I would want to maintain that setup versus buying all around the same infinity speakers?
I'm not a stereo expert by any means, but "Ideally" I would say yes, it's probably better to maintain the setup of components vs coaxials. Having said that though, I've got the Kappa 62.9i's installed in all four doors and it sounds freaking awesome. The sound is so much clearer than the factory speakers and having the stock tweeters still hooked up in the front doesn't make much difference in sound with the kappa's hooked up. The tweeters on the kappa's scream and are much louder than the factory tweeters. If you're on the fence about buying the kappa's I would suggest to hook up the pair you bought in the rear and just listen to them compared to the fronts. They'll blow the sound quality of the front door speakers away and you'll be convinced that you have to have the fronts done also. I was really amazed at how good these sound. After installing the first speaker in the rear door and listening to it I could already tell the sound was wayyyyyyyyy better over the stock speakers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not a stereo expert by any means, but "Ideally" I would say yes, it's probably better to maintain the setup of components vs coaxials. Having said that though, I've got the Kappa 62.9i's installed in all four doors and it sounds freaking awesome. The sound is so much clearer than the factory speakers and having the stock tweeters still hooked up in the front doesn't make much difference in sound with the kappa's hooked up. The tweeters on the kappa's scream and are much louder than the factory tweeters. If you're on the fence about buying the kappa's I would suggest to hook up the pair you bought in the rear and just listen to them compared to the fronts. They'll blow the sound quality of the front door speakers away and you'll be convinced that you have to have the fronts done also. I was really amazed at how good these sound. After installing the first speaker in the rear door and listening to it I could already tell the sound was wayyyyyyyyy better over the stock speakers.
Good idea. I'll start out there and then if the fronts have to go, I'll dig into my pockets for some nice components up front. Probably end up wanting to replace the subs, then the amp then...I think you see where this will end up haha!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the Kappa 62.9i technically coaxial?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Are the Kappa 62.9i technically coaxial?
Yup.

Another thing to consider in the battle of component vs coaxial is the price. Usually components are going to cost more than a coaxial speaker. In my case I just wanted an improvement in sound quality and I wasn't looking for a competition stereo. So for my needs the coaxials in front and rear doors was priced right and for the amount of time involved for install was perfect for me. No matter which way you go, you won't be disappointed. The stock speakers really are junk. You'll see how cheap they are when you pull them out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I found some component infinity, but they're a good $50+ more. Small steps! Will have to research to make sure these will even fit:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Two-Way-Component-System-Speakers/dp/B0017LFSXU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369149056&sr=8-2&keywords=infinity+component+speakers[/ame]

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
you cant go wrong with coax in all 4 doors. the improvement is tremendous, but ideally you would go component up front. I believe some people even unplugged their rear door speakers. there's very little benefit other than the fact then when you do speakers, generally you do the whole car as they're not to pricey.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Front speakers are components or three way speakers(mids and lows in one speaker with your separate tweeter giving you the highs). The rear doors are coaxials or two way speakers (highs and mids in one speaker). They are the same size though. The front and rear door speakers are 6.5". This explanation is a little over simplified, but gets the point across I think.

Component vs Coaxial
normally when in regards to "3-way speakers" they are also coaxial speakers...as stated tho a component set is generally your mid bass woofer and a separate tweet but there are sets that will come with more speakers...the infinitys will sound 100 times better when if all you got was coax all the way around. just do yourself a favor and put at least some sound deadening around the speaker mount.

no back to your question you can run the front 6.5" woofer in the rear...you most likely wont notice a difference with missing the tweet due too how loud/bright the fronts will now be....and most audio set ups your highs are in front

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
I have recently swapped out all my doors with 62.9 Kappas. The rear speakers are 2 ways but the front doors are single speakers, The highs for the front are on the dash. If your going to take all of the effort to swap speakers and replace the blown ones, just replace them all. Plus the sound quality of replacing all the doors will be well worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts