Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of the OBX full system. Question is now should I install it or sell it.... hesitant because of no cats.

I need an 02 extension correct? Is that all I need before digging into the install

Planning to use GXP axlebacks instead of my current solo axlebacks to hopefully tame the loudness down a bit.... think it will be ALOT louder than my current setup ?- stock manifolds, stock cats, x-pipe in place of mid muffer, resonators still there after the x-pipe to solo axlebacks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Just took delivery of the OBX full system. Question is now should I install it or sell it.... hesitant because of no cats.

I need an 02 extension correct? Is that all I need before digging into the install

Planning to use GXP axlebacks instead of my current solo axlebacks to hopefully tame the loudness down a bit.... think it will be ALOT louder than my current setup ?- stock manifolds, stock cats, x-pipe in place of mid muffer, resonators still there after the x-pipe to solo axlebacks.
1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries? I'm looking for the 1-7/8" primaries.

Yes, you'd need an O2 extension on the driver side only from what I've read. You'll also want to get some high flow catalytic converters but I haven't figured out which ones yet.

There are also some people that provided a fix for where the system makes contact with the tunnel brace. Also, some report that the passenger side header hits the frame while other say it doesn't. YMMV.

GXP axle backs are apparently a good fit for this system from what I've read as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just finished an install yesterday. Interestingly enough I don't have any O2 codes. I'm suspecting that the PO had a tune done on the car. Summit sells Kooks HFCs that appear to be the right size, so I ordered up a pair. I will see about getting them installed soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished an install yesterday. Interestingly enough I don't have any O2 codes. I'm suspecting that the PO had a tune done on the car. Summit sells Kooks HFCs that appear to be the right size, so I ordered up a pair. I will see about getting them installed soon.
Cool, any issues with clearance on the steering shaft or dip stick tube placement I should know about before digging into installing mine?

THanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dip stick tube - like many others, I just stacked a bunch of washers under it, and it works fine.

Steering shaft... mine appears to be rubbing on the headers under certain conditions, transmitting a lot of vibration into the car. I will ask the exhaust shop to see about dimpling the primary tube where it hits. My Kooks for my GTO came with a dimple already on the tube next to the steering shaft, so it appears to be a common thing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Did you end up needing the O2 extensions?

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you dont install those and get a tune you will regret it ! I haven't installed my full kooks set in the PSM GXP yet and the difference from the SRM on is night and day . The new on feels way sluggish with out the headers and tune .

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I ordered CEI-109004 from Summit.

As others have noted, the band clamps that OBX includes are garbage. I ordered a pair of SUM-692300-1 from Summit as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts