Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I already have the loudmouths installed and I like the sound and the drone is tollerable. I want the extra power and sound from headers but im worried the drone will be too much with straight pipes. My ideal setup would be to run Varex mufflers in the rear to shut it up when i need to and unleash the kraken when i want to. Anyone have input or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
obx with loud mouths would be deafening loud and drone like crazy. It is straight pipe. My buddy has that setup, and I use a similar setup at the track.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yep, the drone gets really bad after headers with the SLPs. i ran LTs and an x-pipe on my old GT and it droned so bad it made me sick. I love the sound of SLPs but they drone too much. You might be able to keep the sound minus the drone by having j-pipes fabbed up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have them on my car. It is ridiculously loud for a DD. Anything above 3500rpm and this thing sounds like a fighter jet taking off. Drone is bad between 2500-3000rpm. Cold start is very loud as well. I'll try and post a video of my initial startup. I just put them on Tuesday.

Edit: check the "post your exhaust clips" thread. I have it posted in there via a facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4794421626024&l=1523493209100538664

OBX 1 7/8" w/ SLP Loudmouth Axlebacks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Magnaflow 12468 or 12469 in the center should help eliminate drone.

FWIW, I love my OBX and Pypes combo, no drone with or without AFM, and she screams at WOT. She is a bit loud tho, she's scared a few people taking off lol. They just sit at the green light and watch my G8 disappearing off into the distance.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really really like the idea of the varex in the rear but $1000 for just two mufflers seems a bit steep, however if I want it stock quiet for the highway (which I will be doing more of now with my new job) I can have it, and when I want to rip it at a carshow or whenever I can open it up. I would want the switch to be hard wired instead of the remote though, as those seem to stop working after a while. Get the red fighter jet style switch mounted right next to the heated seat buttons, should fit well there.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Headers + Loudmouth would honor your handle for sure :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have SLPs and had HORRIBLE drone as well. It was centralized in the drivers seat. Everywhere else is was not as bad. I have had some load cars as well as my father and even he said it was annoying. I add "J-pipes" to them, still kept most of that great sound however got rid of that crazy drone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts